View Full Version : Setting the default synopsis file

02-15-2012, 11:15 AM
This must be dead simple, but I can't find it in the Help file or in Tools > Options. The default synopsis file seems to be aland.sdf in the BibleWorks 9\init folder. This file uses NAU as the English version. I've created some custom synopsis files that use NRS instead, with names like aland-nrs.sdf, and I'd like one of them to come up as the default when I click on the Synopsis button. Is there any way to set this?

02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the synopsis tool just opens whatever was the last used synopsis file.
(It would be nice to have the option of a drop-down list rather than having to go into the File/Open method. I do rename the Synopsis files so they aren't so cryptic...)

02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Mark. That's what I thought was happening. I just need to keep using my customized files!

Mark Eddy
02-15-2012, 09:59 PM
The other Mark is right. When you open the synopsis tool, BW automatically loads the synopsis file which was open when you last closed the tool. I found out the hard way, because last year I was editing some synopsis files with incompatible information, and I kept crashing BW, but since I had closed the synopsis tool with the errant synopsis file loaded, it kept trying to open that file, and crashed BW. I had to edit my ini file to put a different file there, so that I could open the synopsis file without crashing, and then fix the problems in the errant synopsis file. Whenever I work on it, I have to remember to put Aland or something else in the synopsis tool before closing it, or else I get in trouble again.
By the way, you can easily change the Bible versions you use in the synopsis tool by using the edit function in the synopsis window. I have regularly changed versions, without changing the name of the file. The only problem with not changing the name of the file is that if BW should ever send an update of the synopsis file in question, it would overwrite my changes.
Mark Eddy

02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
I think I renamed the files out of a basic aversion to monkeying with default, supplied items. Your point about updates doing an overwrite is a good one. Plus I was creating several-language specific files: NRS, Greek, NRS+Greek, and I thought that would just help keep them all straight.