PDA

View Full Version : Linking to Logos-Liddell-Scott-Jones

Chris Beetham
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Dear all,

I've carefully read the threads on this, but I must be missing something. I'm trying to be able to look up a Greek word from BW7 to my LSJ in Logos. I've got it to the point where it will open up the Libronix platform, but even though I've tried several different ways to get it to go, it will not open LSJ. When I manually open LSJ, it also will not bring up the Greek word in question.

Any thoughts (besides, "you should have waited for the LSJ module on BW to come out!" I couldn't wait. Now I wish that I had!)

puzzled in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Chris

jdarlack
08-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi Chris.

The first step is to open up the ELM (External Links Manager). Do this by either clicking proper button: http://www.oldinthenew.org/images/elm_button.jpg, or go to the "Resources" menu item and select "Edit external links":

http://www.oldinthenew.org/images/elm_menu.jpg
This will open up the ELM:

http://www.oldinthenew.org/images/elm.jpg
Click the "New" button.

Select options and enter information as shown in the screen shot above [note fields in the red boxes]. Copy the following line of code into "Web page, file to run or executable to run" field.

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.25

Another option is to open your ShellExec.txt file. This file is found in your c:\program files\bibleworks 7\init directory. At the very bottom of the text, paste the following code.

//
// External Link #24
//
[Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.25
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Greek
TextType = Greek Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Lemma
MenuText = Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)
Enabled = 1

You will probably have to renumber the "External Link #" (second line, in green). Make sure this is a unique number sequential to the number of the previous external link.

Save the file.

You should be able to right-click a word in a Greek text, select the "Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)" option, and open up to the correct entry in the LSJ in Libronix.

Note that this "right click" will only work in versions that have a corresponding morphological version (e.g., BGT & BGM, PHI & PHM, etc.).

For more information about linking to Libronix, see the Logos documents: Linking to Libronix books from other applications (http://www.logos.com/training/linktolbx) and Web Linking to Libronix (http://www.logos.com/training/weblinking).

jdarlack
08-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I forgot to note that you can also link to BDAG, EDNT and TDNT using a similar set up.

To do this, you would have to replace the last set of numbers with the appropriate code.
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.25Replace the red text given in the link with the red text below:
46.30.18 (for BDAG)
46.10.26 (for EDNT)
46.10.16 (for TDNT)You would have to make a new entry in the ELM for each dictionary.

Chris Beetham
08-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Hi Jim.

Thank you for your reply. I followed your steps, and it appears that I was on track in my previous attempts. Having retraced my latest attempt by going through your steps, it appears that I had done everything as you are now recommending.

Still, however, as before, when I right click on "Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)" after I've highlighted a Greek word in BGT, it will open Logos (since it wasn't previously opened), but it will go no further. It won't open LSJ, and it (obviously then) doesn't open up to the requested Greek word in LSJ. Any further thoughts? I've double checked my code in the "Web page, File to open, or executable to run" window, and it matches the one that you gave.

Chris

jdarlack
08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Chris, send me your shellexec.txt file. Use the email given below.

http://www.oldinthenew.org/images/emailaddy.gif

MortenJensen
09-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi Jim
Thanks for your wonderful instructions here. It worked first time for me.
Now, can I border you with a further question on how to link to other books within libronix?

I would like to link to EDNT - exegetical dict. of the New Testament. This one should be tagged as well so I can call up the word in question directly.

What do I chance in the line code?

Also, what if I want to call up all other non-greek resources - like my IVP dictionaries - can that be done from the English text in BW? I guess I am asking for two things:
- can I look up 'carpenter' in a specific libronix book as well?
- can I search all my libr. books for 'carpenter' - from within BW?

Thanks!

Morten

jdarlack
09-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi Morten,

Take a look at this post on the BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/2007/08/linking-to-libronix-bdag-ednt-and-tdnt.html). :)

jdarlack
09-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I have not been able to figure out how to do a general "search" from BibleWorks into Libronix. You would probably need to find out from Libronix how to do this. You may want to check out the documentation (http://logos.com/support/completekblist) on their web site, and post a question to their newsgroups (http://logos.com/support/lbs/newsgroups).

MortenJensen
09-07-2007, 03:24 AM
Hi, thanks Jim
Well, the general search might be a problem then, if you could not figure it out! :)
However, while your setup works perfectly for LSJ, then it have a problem with the EDNT. It keeps calling up the same word (psyke..., for some reason).

I have typed in the exact same information as for LSJ with the exception of the line:
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang =el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.10.26

Can you see what is going on here? Why does it call up the same word?
Morten

jdarlack
09-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Here's the entry in my ShellExec.txt file:
//
// External Link #27
//
[EDNT (Logos)]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.10.26
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Greek
TextType = Greek Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Lemma
MenuText = EDNT (Logos)
Enabled = 1This code works for me. I noticed that in the code you copied that you have spaces in the file link (see red underscores in "...|la_ng_=el|..."):
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|la_ng_=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.10.26Check your code to make sure that there are no spaces. I tried the code as you have it, and it just opens the EDNT without going to the proper lemma.

Try copying the entire ShellExec entry that I have above. Be sure to rename the External Link # so that you do not duplicate an External Link number in your present ShellExec file.

MortenJensen
09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Jim, thanks!
Now that one works as well! If I have some succes on general searches or something else in this matter, I will make sure to report it in this thread.
Thanks a lot!
Morten

MortenJensen
09-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Well, he, I am already back again.
Now, I just tried - for the fun of it - if I could call up a certain verse in eg IVP BibelBackground Commentary.

First I tried to tweak the already typed in Logos - KJV, the one with Verse Reference + Bible Verse and the code:

libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=LLS:KJV

When I copy the resource place in libronix, I get this one:
libronixdls:jump|pos=LLS-AOL%3A237%3C40.51%3E.393.0|ref=bible.61.11.24|res= LLS%3A29.3.4

So, I tried different endings built on the Logos KJV line:

1:
libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=LLS:3A29.3.4
2:
...|res=LLS%3A29.3.4
3:
...|res=LLS:29.3.4

But it will only call up IVPBBC - and not the actual paragraf.

I also tried to use your line:

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:29.3.4

But no luck there either.

Well, just if anyone sees an easy solution here.

Finally, one more question: when I look in my BW exter. link m., there are many preentered entries - but not many of them show up when I right click - even though I hovering over the right kind of text (like Greek). Why is that? Does BW knows, eg, that I do not have Logos SESB installed?

Thanks
Morten

MGVH
09-07-2007, 06:02 PM
First, check your line again. You have:
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|la_ng=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:29.3.4
Note that space between the a and n of "lang."

Second, you can get at some things by making "Collections" and running a search. That is, in Logos, Tools > Define Collections. Then, give a name (preferably with no spaces) and add books to that collection.
Now, in BW7, you can run a search on that collection.
Below is from my ShellExec showing that I defined a bunch of books as "BibleDictionaries" (e.g., it includes a few dictionaries and encyclopedias)
Note that instead of "res=" you use "collection-name="
Running it initiates Logos and pops up the search dialog with the word and the collection all set. Just hit the Search and it returns the results.
[EDIT: note that if you try to copy/paste the File= line below, you will probably get extra spaces. Be sure to remove any such spaces that get added in.]

[Search in Logos Dictionaries]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy>|collection-name=BibleDictionaries
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window English
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Search in Logos Dictionaries
Enabled = 1

MortenJensen
09-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Hi
Here is some new info, thanks

First, the blank line is not in BW - I guess it comes from Word's hyphenation.
The line goes:
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:29.3.4
Right now it will only call up the last given location in IVPBBNT.

Then I tried to insert the following in the ShellExec.txt

// External Link #27
//
[Search in 1 - Logos Kommentarer]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy>|collection-name=kommentarer
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Search in 1 Logos kommentarer
Enabled = 1
//

And THAT one actually works!
Well, sort of - for the moment I saved the file in notepad, it got all messed up. I have attached it. All the line shifts went down the drain. Luckyli, I saved the original in a different location.

Right now, only the 1 Logos kommentarer shows up in BW - all the rest are gone.

Can anyone tell what is going on here? Do I need to manually insert blank lines the very first time I open it in notepad?

So, to sum up:
- the search-more-than-one-book-in-logos-facility has now been provided. Just great - and it works.
- the look-up-this-verse in IVPBBNT-facility won't quite work.
- my shell.txt is all messed up...

But I call it progress all in all!
Morten

MortenJensen
09-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Hi again

Just saw I uploaded the wrong shell - please take a look at the attached file. That is what happens with my shell as soon as I try to save it with some additions.

I don't know if it is BW-related or something on my pc.

Does anyone have an idea?

Morten

MGVH
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I think I have experienced exactly the same problems as you.
Using NotePad to edit the ShellExec.txt file should preserve it just as you edit it, but as your attached text shows, all the line breaks have been stripped out. It happened to me too, and I don't know why (could have to do with soft/hard line breaks), but I ended up having to copy all the text into MSWord, then run a bunch of find/replace to insert hard line breaks, then saving as txt file.

What I do now:

Make a backup copy of my ShellExec before doing anything. (always a good idea)
Do my editing within in BW7 using the Edit External Links tool.

jdarlack
09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I've been using TextPad to do all my editing of BibleWorks files. It's a fantastic program. It does not handle Unicode, but it is able to perform fast and complex find and replace operations.

You can use it as a free trial, but it's worth paying the company a bit of money if you use it.

TextPad.com (http://www.textpad.com)

MortenJensen
09-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reference to TextPad, Jim. I did the trick for me.

Just to end this thread for now, please let me refer again to the search facility someone came up with that will let you search your libronix collection from within BW - it is so convenient.

With the code below, you simply just define a collection in libronix, right click a word in BW, and the search box will pop in libronix.

I real life, only one thing could possibly top this, namely, if the BW-guys come up with a way of having the libronix books shown in the Res.Summary - but I guess that is a next life wish...

Morten

// External Link #27
//
[Search in 1 - Logos Kommentarer]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy>|collection-name=kommentarer
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Search in 1 Logos kommentarer
Enabled = 1