PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks 7.0 External Links Manager

Joe Fleener
01-25-2006, 04:29 PM
The attached .txt file contains the External Links I currently have for BibleWorks 7.0.

I believe most if not all of these will ship with the program to serve as examples.

If you take a look at this it may look a little scary. No need to worry.

BibleWorks 7.0 comes with a nice, easy to use External Links Manager which allows you to set all of this up via menu options - see pic.

If any of the other Beta testers have other EL's maybe they will share them here.

In the future this could serve as a good thread to share more links as you "discover" them.

P.S. This ShellExec.txt file will not work with 6.0.

xara777
01-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Looks great. So you have Lookup Verse (e.g., NA27 Critical Apparatus) and Lookup Word (e.g., Anchor Bible Dictionary) links. What are some other possibilities that you think would make good use of Libronix where BibleWorks may be lacking or supplemented?

Keep those screen shots coming - they are nice to look at!

Thanks,

Mike

jdarlack
01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Considering that the ELM can call up a java script if necessary, it seems that the sky would be the limit regarding how you can integrate with a program like Libronix. That, would however, take a lot more training that I have in programming!

So, if anyone out there knows how to use Libronix' language, then have at it and show us what you can do.

Here's a quick request for those who can program:
The ability to perform a search in a particular resource.
The ability to perform a search in a particular resource collection.
The ability to perform the above searches using both Strong's numbers and Unicode Greek and Hebrew.

I can envision these being handled externally from BibleWorks, I just don't know how!

jfidel
01-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for putting these together in one place for those of us that are still waiting to get the update.

John Fidel

manthano
01-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Would it be possible to create an EL for e-Sword?

Joe Fleener
01-26-2006, 06:45 AM

In a sense anything is possible. It would just be a matter of determining the code of an external call to e-sword, which I don't know off hand...

Joe Fleener
01-26-2006, 12:11 PM

Getting e-Sword to open is rather simple:

You simply exectute to following command:

"C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe" -v Pro 6:4

Here is the actual syntax for the BW ELM:

// External Link #26
//
[E-Sword]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"
Parameters = -v <book> <chapter>:<verse>
MenuLocation = Browse Window All
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = KJV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = E-Sword
Enabled = 1

Rick did say if e-Sword was open there was no way to navigate to a verse with an external call. You can only open the program to a particular verse.

manthano
01-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I wasn't aware of the -v option. Thanks for contacting Rick to find that out! I am eagerly awaiting my copy of BW 7 to try it out.

Joe Fleener
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
The Link #'s are from my file. You will have to change those for your file.

//
// External Link #27
//
[Google search]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=<dummy>&btnG=Google+Search
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window English
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Google
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #28
//
[Google Sets]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=<dummy>&q2=&q3=&q4=&q5=&btn=Large+Set
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Google Sets
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #29
//
[Wikipedia]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/<dummy>
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Wikipedia
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #30
//
[Dictionary.com]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=<dummy>
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Dictionary.com
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #31
//
[Jewish Encyclopedia]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/search_results.jsp?searchType=1&pageNum=1&search=<dummy>&x=0&y=0&searchOpt=0
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Jewish Encyclopedia
Enabled = 1

Dunk
01-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Rick did say if e-Sword was open there was no way to navigate to a verse with an external call. You can only open the program to a particular verse.

THanks for finding that out Joe.

I guess one solution would be to get in the habit of closing esword when you are done with a verse, and then letting BW7 open it again at the next verse you want to go to.

Too bad that you can't open multiple instances of esword at a time.

Dunk

Glenn Weaver
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Joe,

In the Jewish Encyclopedia entry there is a space in the < dummy> tag, which invalidates the searches (at least when I tried it). Removing the space seems to work.

Thanks for creating this link.

Glenn

Joe Fleener
02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Joe,

In the Jewish Encyclopedia entry there is a space in the < dummy> tag, which invalidates the searches (at least when I tried it). Removing the space seems to work.

Thanks for creating this link.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for catching that. I am not sure what is going on. When I edit the post, the space is not there, but after the post is saved you can see it! :confused:

I will update my attached ShellExec.txt attachment to my first post. It contains all entries.

Ben Spackman
02-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks to Jim Darlack's inquiries at the Logos newsgroups, I've made myself some more links. (I *love* this feature :D )

I can now right click on a verse, left click, and hit enter to search some of my Libronix resources for the verse in question. You can search whatever collections or individual resources you have for either a verse or a word.

This one searchs the Bible Review and Biblical Archaeology Review archives for references to the verse. (You have to use your own collection names, but you can have multiple custom collections.)

// External Link #26

//

[Search BAR/BR for reference]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=BAR and BR
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Search BAR/BR for reference
Enabled = 1
//

This one searches two grammars (Jouon for Hebrew and Greenspahn for Aramaic) that aren't available (yet? Maybe someday?) in BW, for the specific verse I'm on.

// External Link #28
//
[Searches Jouon and Greenspahn for reference]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Grammars
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Search grammars for reference
Enabled = 1

And this one searches English translations of primary sources (Dead Sea scrolls, Context of Scripture, Egyptian Lierature I, II, & III, the Amarna Letters and Josephes) for biblical cross-references.

// External Link #27
//
[Searches libronix collection for reference. ]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Primary sources
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Search Primary sources for references to this verse.
Enabled = 1
//

:D

Joe Fleener
02-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Ben,

Great. Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to make it search all my journals, I never thought of using the Collection I already had.

This is great!

However, when I created a second link to another collection I have for Church Fathers, every time I click on that link it still opens to search my journal collection.

Do each of your link to different collections all work even if you click on one and then another?

Ben Spackman
02-07-2006, 11:08 PM
They all work successfully on different collections, yes.

It took some messing around, until I realized that I had put <> around the collection name, and those aren't supposed to be there.

In case it's not clear to everyone, the template looks like
libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=(collection name, with no space, parenthesis, brackets, or anything.)

Mark Eddy
02-08-2006, 01:36 AM
How do you make individual volumes in Libronix into a "collection"? E.g. I have Luther's Works. Many volumes of them are his expositions of Scripture. I would like to make a "collection" out of those volumes and then link BW to them. I can get Libronix to open, but it doesn't open to Luther's works. It seems always to open to the last work I had been reading in Libronix before I closed it.
I searched BW Help for this information and can't find it. I also have other collections of articles in Libronix, but in my computer each volume is listed as a separate file. Does one of you "collections" include multiple Libronix files/volumes?
Mark Eddy

Joe Fleener
02-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Hi Mark,

Go to tools - Define Collections within Libronix.

You can create a Collection which is a combination of any "books" you have in Libronix and the give it a name.

For this feature to work w/ BW don't put any spaces or other odd characters in the name of your Libronix collection.

guilford
02-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I have two different links into Logos that I would really like external links for in BW7. If anyone knows how to do these, I would really appreciate any pointers in the right direction. Both links involve the New International Greek Testament Commentary. The NIGTC is 12 separate books in Logos, so I am guessing that to start with I need to make a named collection of all 12 of those books, which I now know how to do thanks to this forum. Once I have that collection, the two links I would like are:

1) Suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to link to the commentary on that passage. I want only the NIGTC Galatians commentary to open, and I want it to open directly to the section on Galatians 2:3. Is this possible?

2) Again, suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to search the NIGTC for any references to Gal 2:3, no matter which of the twelve books the reference is in (i.e. even if Gal 2:3 is referenced from outside the actual Galatians volume). So what I really want for this link is a search results list. Is this possible?

If anyone can help me with either of these links, I would really appreciate it. I assume that the links described above would also work for the WBC or PNTC or any other commentaries if I made additional links and simply changed the resource to the appropriate collection.

Thank you for your help!
Brad

Joe Fleener
02-08-2006, 09:47 AM
1) Suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to link to the commentary on that passage. I want only the NIGTC Galatians commentary to open, and I want it to open directly to the section on Galatians 2:3. Is this possible?

The only way I know to do this is to create a seperate link to each of the individual commentaries.

If you did this you would right click on a verse and see links to all 12 books. If you were looking at a verse in Galatians you would click on the link to Galatians.

This does not seem to be ideal, it would make your context menu a bit large! But, I guess that is a personal thing. You could do it.

2) Again, suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to search the NIGTC for any references to Gal 2:3, no matter which of the twelve books the reference is in (i.e. even if Gal 2:3 is referenced from outside the actual Galatians volume). So what I really want for this link is a search results list. Is this possible?

This is no problem.

You would put all your NIGTC commentaries into a collection. Name the collection whatever you want, just don't put spaces or other odd characters in the collection name.

Then follow Ben's very helpful example to add a link to your collection:

libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=NIGTC

I assume that the links described above would also work for the WBC or PNTC or any other commentaries if I made additional links and simply changed the resource to the appropriate collection.

Yes you can follow the above example to create as many links as you would like to any collection you have.

guilford
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Joe,
Thank you for your pointers. It sounds like number 2 will be really easy to do, which is great. I was hoping to find a nice way to implement number 1, but it sounds like that might not be possible. I don't think that individual links for each book is really going to be useful to me, especially when I think about doing the WBC (58 volumes!). Still, having number 2 implemented for each commentary set that I have, plus having a link to the Anchor Bible Dictionary will be really nice features when my copy of BW7 arrives. Thank you for your help.
Brad

Ben Spackman
02-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Actually, I think you can do #1 easily as well, with a different command.
Treat it like a keylink, and you can specify the resource you want it to open in.

libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=(Libronix internal resource name, with no parenthesis)

You find the resource name through making that resource the active window, then HELP>ABOUT THIS RESOURCE. The resource name is what's listed in the file address under resource location, minus other file info. eg. The Oxford Bible commentary shows F:\Libronix\Resources\OXBIBCOM.LSF, so the name you'd want at the end of the command above is OXBIBCOM.
libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=OXBIBCOM

However, as Joe says, you'd either have to create 12 links. Hey, may be it can be done with a collection too.

Make a collection of your selected commentary, name it, and use that name in this. I have to get off line, but I'll test it and see if it works.

keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|col=

Ben Spackman
02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
The second one doesn't work, at least, not the way I've set it up. (It opens a bible to the reference instead, because that's what my bible reference keylinks are set to.)

Michael Hanel
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
You find the resource name through making that resource the active window, then HELP>ABOUT THIS RESOURCE. The resource name is what's listed in the file address under resource location, minus other file info. eg. The Oxford Bible commentary shows F:\Libronix\Resources\OXBIBCOM.LSF, so the name you'd want at the end of the command above is OXBIBCOM.

Thanks for clarifying how to find the resource name. I hadn't yet figured that one out. That makes life much easier :)

Mark Eddy
02-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi Mark,

Go to tools - Define Collections within Libronix.

You can create a Collection which is a combination of any "books" you have in Libronix and the give it a name.

For this feature to work w/ BW don't put any spaces or other odd characters in the name of your Libronix collection.

Thanks. When I did what you suggested I see that at some time in the distant past I had already set up the "collection" I intend to use. I had just forgotten the name I had given it. I still had the problem that when ...x opens, to do a "Basic Search" it always opened to the last work in that library that I had searched, not to the one that BW asks it to search. I guess the problem was that I had a space between the two words in the collection name. Once I deleted the space in both ...x and in BW, it seems to work correctly. Hopefully this will help get better use out of both programs.
Mark Eddy

guilford
02-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry to have so many questions about this, but does anyone know if it is possible to launch a "Passage Guide", "Exegetical Guide", or "Word Study Guide" for a particular passage using the external links manager? I asked a question earlier about linking directly to specific commentary sets, and while that doesn't appear to be possible, being able to launch a Passage Guide will execute relatively quickly and give me a link to the right place in each commentary, which would be a huge step in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Brad

jdarlack
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Sorry to have so many questions about this, but does anyone know if it is possible to launch a "Passage Guide", "Exegetical Guide", or "Word Study Guide" for a particular passage using the external links manager?Sorry that I'm not in the know about this. All I know is what I've gotten from the Libronix "experts" and employees on their newsgroups (http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/newsgroups). So, if you don't get an answer here, you may be better off asking the Logos folks directly. You could then report your findings!:rolleyes:

Joe Fleener
02-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry to have so many questions about this, but does anyone know if it is possible to launch a "Passage Guide", "Exegetical Guide", or "Word Study Guide" for a particular passage using the external links manager? I asked a question earlier about linking directly to specific commentary sets, and while that doesn't appear to be possible, being able to launch a Passage Guide will execute relatively quickly and give me a link to the right place in each commentary, which would be a huge step in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Brad

Passage Guide:

libronixdls:report|action=none|collection=All%2520 Unlocked%2520Commentaries|collectionList=Journals% 3B|enableCollections=true|enableCommentaries=true| enableCompareVersions=true|enableCrossReferences=t rue|enableMaps=true|enableMusic=true|enableParalle lPassages=true|enableTopics=true|name=ReportPassag eGuide|passage=bible."<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"

Exegetical Guide:

libronixdls:report|bible=LLS%3A1.0.318|keyLinkCoun t=5|name=ReportExegeticalGuide|passage="<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|rareCount=50|showGlosses=yes|showKeyLinks=yes|sho wParsings=yes|showRare=no

On my system the above two commands will open the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide respectively with all my options checked.

However, the passage is not being copied to the passage space in Brand X so the guides are not actually run.

So, I think these are close, but they need a bit more...:confused:

guilford
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Jim,
I didn't know about the Logos newsgroups. Thanks for pointing them out to me. I posted my queries over there and I will report back to this thread if I come up with anything useful.
Brad

Dogfish Jones
02-09-2006, 08:10 PM
How would I configure a link to Pradis in order to open a passage in the Expositor's Bible Commentary?

I'm not a programmer, so plain english would be helpful.. :)

Joe Fleener
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
How would I configure a link to Pradis in order to open a passage in the Expositor's Bible Commentary?

I'm not a programmer, so plain english would be helpful.. :)

According to the Tech Support Folks @ Zondervan/Pradis this is not possible.

Pradis is not able to receive external calls. This is a limitation of Pradis. I suggest flooding their email (Zondervan/Pradis) with requests for this function! :D

Dogfish Jones
02-09-2006, 09:22 PM
According to the Tech Support Folks @ Zondervan/Pradis this is not possible.

Pradis is not able to receive external calls. This is a limitation of Pradis. I suggest flooding their email (Zondervan/Pradis) with requests for this function! :D

Reason #158 of Why I Dislike Zondervan...:(

Joe Fleener
02-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Reason #158 of Why I Dislike Zondervan...:(

I thought I had a lot of reasons!

jfidel
02-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Logos Beta has a tool called Bible Word Study. I would like to link from a BW word to this report. Any ideas or should I go to the Logos newsgroups for assistance?

Thanks,

John Fidel

jfidel
02-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Here is a link for the Bible Word Study report in Logos Beta 3.0.

There is still a problem with Greek/Hebrew as the lemma is coming over to the report in English text. Perhaps someone could play with it as this is a very cool report.

Use Form/Greek Text/Browse Window All/Null

libronixdls:report|ActiveWord=<dummy>|LemmaLang=|ResourceID=|name=Libronix.BibleStudy.B ibleWordStudy

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Perhaps the what one program thinks is Greek the other thinks is English.

John Fidel

jfidel
02-10-2006, 09:30 PM
However, the passage is not being copied to the passage space in Brand X so the guides are not actually run.

So, I think these are close, but they need a bit more...:confused:[/quote]

Joe,

I would suggest that we are working too hard trying to generate links in BW, when the possible solution is to create a workspace in Logos that has the the Passage Guide, The Exegetical Guide and the NA27 open and linked together using the link function.

Then using the BW external link to the Logos NA27, Logos will run the Passage Guide and the Exegetical Guide on the verse.

Lastly, commentaries can also be open and linked, but they will be available in the Passage Guide. This keeps things simple. I hope this helps further the linking process.

John Fidel

Antti
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Joe,
Thank you for your pointers. It sounds like number 2 will be really easy to do, which is great. I was hoping to find a nice way to implement number 1, but it sounds like that might not be possible. I don't think that individual links for each book is really going to be useful to me, especially when I think about doing the WBC (58 volumes!). Still, having number 2 implemented for each commentary set that I have, plus having a link to the Anchor Bible Dictionary will be really nice features when my copy of BW7 arrives. Thank you for your help.
Brad
Is there really now way of getting this to work? I also have WBC on Libronix and I would love to get it linked to BW. I am able to make a link to one book at a time but I really don't want 58 different links.

Maybe there is still some possibility to make one link to work for all the commentaries:confused:

Or how about making the "menu location" to include options for every book in the bible separately. Then one could make a link for each volume in a commentary set and make them appear only in certain book in the browse window :rolleyes: (I know, it would probably make the program too complicated :()

Ben Spackman
02-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I have a workspace I leave open, with the NRSV, BHS, and commentaries. All are linked to each other. When I want to see the commentary, I use BW to pass the bible reference. Logos opens the Bible to the right passage and the commentaries follow, automatically opening the correct volumes.

I think the code for this is already posted, you just have to create the workspace with the links.

Antti
02-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks, that was helpful!

It works nicely :)

I could even make libronix to always open on a certain workspace, so it doesn't have to be open before clicking the link.

Ben Spackman
02-15-2006, 04:51 PM
How do you make it open to a particular workspace?

Antti
02-15-2006, 05:07 PM
tools -> options -> general -> check the radio button to "load workspace" and choose the one you want to load.

kpurcell
02-15-2006, 05:48 PM
How would I create an external link to open Logos to New American Commentary and also to McGee's thru the bible and Wiersebe's Expository outlines?

Note, I have never used this feature before.

ger0
02-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks to Jim Darlack's inquiries at the Logos newsgroups, I've made myself some more links. (I *love* this feature :D )

I can now right click on a verse, left click, and hit enter to search some of my Libronix resources for the verse in question. You can search whatever collections or individual resources you have for either a verse or a word.

This one searchs the Bible Review and Biblical Archaeology Review archives for references to the verse. (You have to use your own collection names, but you can have multiple custom collections.)

// External Link #26

//

[Search BAR/BR for reference]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=BAR and BR
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Search BAR/BR for reference
Enabled = 1
//

This one searches two grammars (Jouon for Hebrew and Greenspahn for Aramaic) that aren't available (yet? Maybe someday?) in BW, for the specific verse I'm on.

// External Link #28
//
[Searches Jouon and Greenspahn for reference]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Grammars
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Search grammars for reference
Enabled = 1

And this one searches English translations of primary sources (Dead Sea scrolls, Context of Scripture, Egyptian Lierature I, II, & III, the Amarna Letters and Josephes) for biblical cross-references.

// External Link #27
//
[Searches libronix collection for reference. ]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Primary sources
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Search Primary sources for references to this verse.
Enabled = 1
//

:D

This is a great feature, but the syntax is confusing to me. How should this example above be modified such that I can right click on a word in - say - the KJV and that the corresponding lemma in the ABD is called up? A variant would be that the entire ABD is searched for the occurrence of the right clicked word.

In noticed by the way that when an external link is activated it shows up in the 'right click'menu, but not in the dropdown menu in the top tool/menubar. Is this intentional?

Gert

Mark Eddy
02-16-2006, 12:55 PM
How would I create an external link to open Logos to New American Commentary and also to McGee's thru the bible and Wiersebe's Expository outlines?
Note, I have never used this feature before.
And another quote: "Maybe there is still some possibility to make one link to work for all the commentaries"
First within Libronix you make a "collection" out of these commentary sets (assuming that they are in mulitple volumes; and you must have no spaces in the collection name).
Then in BW under "Resources" choose "Edit external links".
Click the "New" button and edit the information to fit your collection.
For the "BibleWorks provides" box you usually want to choose "Verse Reference" for commentaries. But for those who want to look up words in an external dictionary or lexicon your would want to choose "Lemma".
You may want to look at some of the examples that have been posted in this link to see how to designate that collection in the box for "Web page, file to open, or executable to run." For Libronix wors the following will work:
ibronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=
but you'll have to fill in the end of this string with the name you gave the collection from within Libronix.
I hope this helps somewhat.
Mark Eddy

Ben Spackman
02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Here's how you use the ABD.

// External Link #28
//
[Anchor Bible Dictionary]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:keylink|ref=text. <dummy>|res=LLS:ANCH
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Look up word in ABD
Enabled = 1

Copy that into your ShellExec.txt file in the Bibleworks/init folder, and change the External Link # to whatever is appropriate for your .txt file.

The way this works is that it passes the English word to Logos like an English keylink, set to open in ABD. However, it needs to match the ABD entry fairly closely.

I don't have any of those resources, but I think the easiest way to do this is 1) create a workspace with Wiersbe, a Bible (I'm using NRSV, but I'm not sure it matters), and a commentary open. 2) Link all three within Logos, so that if you scroll the Bible, the commentaries keep up. 4) Set Logos to open to that workspace by default. (Instructions earlier in this thread somewhere.) 5)Use the following script. What it does is pass the Bible reference to Logos, which opens the Bible to that passage, and then the commentaries follow.

The problem I see with doing it anoter way is that if you're passing a Bible reference (instead of a search on Bible reference), it either has to open Logos to a specific 1-book resource, such as a Bible. It can't open a particular series (like a multivolume commentary) to the right place, at least as far as I can tell.

// External Link #2
//
[KJV]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=LLS:NRS
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Send verse to Logos Commentaries
Enabled = 1

Edit: Mark and I posted at the same time. What his thing will do above isn't exactly what you want, at least, that I understand. That string will search the commentary series (or whatever's in the collection) for every place in that collection that has the Bible reference you pass. That will generate multiple hits, but will also get you to the right pasage eventually.

hubmair
02-16-2006, 03:46 PM
I have made two links to two Logos collections WBC and NIGTC. This is the script"

// External Link #25
//
[Lookup in WBC]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = ibronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book><Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=WBC
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = WBC
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #26
//
[Lookup in NIGTC]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = ibronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in"<Book><Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=NIGTC
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = NIGTC
Enabled = 1

When executed, say Luke 4: 1 in WBC, Logos opens simple search but does not execute the search. And when you next choose NIGTC, it opens with WBC in the search window and does not search. Am I missing something, is this how it is supposed to work?

Ben Spackman
02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
That's correct. You can't actually *execute* a search from another program, only call up the search command and set the parameters. So after you do your menu clicks in BW, you hit the "search" key in the Logos search dialogue to run it.

Antti
02-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Here's a link for those who are missing the TNIV.

I made this link just by experimenting and got it to work :)

//
[TNIV]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.tniv.info/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>&submit=Lookup&tniv=yes&display_option=columns
Parameters = NULL NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = KJV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Lookup TNIV online
Enabled = 1

I'm not sure if it is correctly made, maybe someone can check it. The only problem I have is that this web page sometimes uses different book abreviations, but most of the time it seems to work.

Gontroppo
02-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Antti
Can you explain how you insert the code you gave for the TNIV link? I can't see how or where to insert it.
Thanks
David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

Michael Hanel
02-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Antti
Can you explain how you insert the code you gave for the TNIV link? I can't see how or where to insert it.
Thanks
David McKay

you would insert it into your Shellexec.txt file which is found in the "init" subdirectory of BW.

Gontroppo
02-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks Michael.
Duly inserted.
Now ... how do I "call up" the TNIV from www.tniv.info (http://www.tniv.info), please?

David McKay

Ben Spackman
02-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Right-click over some English in the browse window, and "Look up TNIV online" ought to appear in the context menu. Click on it, and it ought to take you there.

I think that's what you're asking.

Gontroppo
02-19-2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks, Ben. Works fine, except that the abbreviations are different sometimes.

But shouldn't I have other mouse over right click links, too? Aren't some there by default in that shellexec file, or are they accessed another way?

David McKay

Ben Spackman
02-19-2006, 12:34 PM
All of those links set up have two "limitations" on where and when they appear.

If you go RESOURCES>EDIT EXTERNAL LINKS, and look at each one, you'll see a checkmark for "enable this link." If it's not checked, it won't appear.

Second, each one has a setting, "Menu location" for which right-click menu it will appear in- Every meu, Greek context, Hebrew context, English context, etc.

Gontroppo
02-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks very much for your help, Ben. :D

When I follow your advice, my list of links has now dropped down to only the new TNIV lookup.

I pasted the code given at the end of the rest of the stuff in shellexec.txt. How should I alter this, please?
David McKay

Adamsen
02-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Bibleworks 7 is a really big step forward. It will continue to serve me as my primary bible research software. That it can now call Libronix is extremely helpful.
BW 7.0.012n did crash for me, however. This is what I did (it is a copy of my mail to the nice support people):
Having seen the many External Links published on Bibleworks User Forums, I tried to enter them in the External Links Manager. They did not work. Probably because I could not easily figure out how to enter the entries in the right fields. Anyway, I closed BW and opened the ShellExec.txt in notepad. I copied the new links into it and then saved it. Unfortunately, Notepad seems to remove the line breaks, so the ShellExec.txt file got a corrupt format. This made BW 7 crash when I run it.
I would suggest that BW 7 EITHER ignores the ShellExec.txt file if it corrupt OR makes a backup and restores a default copy.
I would also suggest an "import" function that makes it possible to enter and, if necessary, renumber a correctly formatted block of text - e.g. from the many links published on the Bibleworks User Forums.
Thank you.

Georg
---
Dr. Georg S. Adamsen
Denmark

Gospelizer
02-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey, could someone tell me how I might learn the language of "Libronixese?" I understand a bit about external links, and was even successful in establishing one to Libronix, but only because I plugged in a bunch of mysterious codes. Establishing simple external links is no problem, it is the Libronix nomenclature that I find confusing. Any tutorials anywhere? I feel a bit like a <dummy>. :)

Do you always have to create a collection in Libronix to establish a link? I just want to create a simple link to one book (Nelson's Bible Dictionary).

Thanks in advance!

Ben Spackman
02-20-2006, 09:39 PM
I've posted a bunch of stuff on this, but I've just been going by trial and error, messing with the few libronix things I picked up by reading their automation newsgroup.

If you want link to just one book, it's fairly easy.

libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=(Libronix internal resource name, with no parenthesis)

You find the resource name through making that resource the active window in Logos, then HELP>ABOUT THIS RESOURCE. The resource name is what's listed in the file address under resource location, minus other file info. eg. The Oxford Bible commentary shows F:\Libronix\Resources\OXBIBCOM.LSF, so the name you'd want at the end of the command above is OXBIBCOM.

Edit:Libronix doesn't really support their programming stuff, in the sense that there's no instruction manual for it. There is a copy of their "object model" but it's over my head.

Gospelizer
02-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks, Ben:

I have unsuccessfully tried the code that you gave. I must be doing something wrong. I will check my work yet again. It is possible that I may be typing in the wrong resource code. I will try your method of finding it.

Thanks, again!

We will all have to work these things out as time progresses. This is a great forum, and BibleWorks is an incredible program. I have used it since version 3.5.

God bless!

Gospelizer
02-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Ok, tried libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=(Libronix internal resource name, with no parenthesis) and plugged in the proper resource (i.e., NIBD and BKMAPCHT). Both links resulting in bringing up the New King James Version. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

ger0
02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Ok, tried libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=(Libronix internal resource name, with no parenthesis) and plugged in the proper resource (i.e., NIBD and BKMAPCHT). Both links resulting in bringing up the New King James Version. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

You might try: ...|res=LLS:NIBD

Donot know why, but in aq couple of cases I got it working that way.

Gert

jfidel
02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
The resources you specifically identified NIBD and BKMAPCHT are both resources that are not tagged by bible verse, chapter and book. The complete book of bibles and maps has no tagging for bible or topic. Nelsons Illustrated dictionary can be linked to English. If that is what you desire Then use this:

Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:jump|ref=[en]topic:<dummy>|res=LLS:14.0.11
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Logos NIBD
Enabled = 1

To get a specific number for a resource do the following in Logos:

Open library
Identify book
press shift ctrl alt together and right mouse click.
The ID number for the book will appear in the library window.

Hope this helps,

John Fidel

Gospelizer
02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks, John! I will try in out.

BTW, a simple hint for Pradis users. This is a "no-brainer," and probably most of you have already thought of it. But it may help someone like me. If you want to link to a particular resource in Pradis, such as NIDNTT, simply create a study session file and link BibleWorks to where the file is on your HD. Hope this helps.

Joan Korte
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm able to do external links to Anchor Bible Dictionary and other English resources. (BTW, I think to find the location of the Logos resouce in My Library, I had to left click, rather than right click).
Your example was very instructive. Thanks so much. But I am struggling with the link to the TDNT. I can get the TDNT to open but not to a specific Greek entry. I know I am missing something and have exhausted what I know and can try.:confused: Any help would be great; maybe it's not possible.

Joan Korte
02-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm able to do external links to Anchor Bible Dictionary and other English resources. (BTW, I think to find the location of the Logos resouce in My Library, I had to left click, rather than right click).
Your example was very instructive. Thanks so much. But I am struggling with the link to the TDNT. I can get the TDNT to open but not to a specific Greek entry. I know I am missing something and have exhausted what I know and can try. Any help would be great; maybe it's not possible. :confused:

Joe Fleener
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks, John! I will try in out.

BTW, a simple hint for Pradis users. This is a "no-brainer," and probably most of you have already thought of it. But it may help someone like me. If you want to link to a particular resource in Pradis, such as NIDNTT, simply create a study session file and link BibleWorks to where the file is on your HD. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the Pradis hint.

This opens Pradis, but I don't think there is anyway to "pass" a Book, Chapter, and verse to Pradis to it will "jump" to that verse?? Would be nice...

jfidel
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Your example was very instructive. Thanks so much. But I am struggling with the link to the TDNT. I can get the TDNT to open but not to a specific Greek entry. I know I am missing something and have exhausted what I know and can try. Any help would be great; maybe it's not possible. :confused:

Hi Joan,

There is another TDNT post here:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154&page=4

If that does not work go to Cool Screen Layouts and look at the last page of BW7 & Integration...

John Fidel

Gospelizer
02-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the Pradis hint.

This opens Pradis, but I don't think there is anyway to "pass" a Book, Chapter, and verse to Pradis to it will "jump" to that verse?? Would be nice...

Unfortunately, you are right, Joe. Although some clever guy may figure out how to do it, it is definitely beyond me at this point.

BTW, Joe, I was not able to access the number with the method that you gave, but as ger0 suggested I used your basic formula with the letter abbreviation of the book, and it finally worked! Thanks all!

I am very impressed with BW7. It's the best!

Bob Payne

Gospelizer
02-23-2006, 10:11 AM
BTW, Joe, I was not able to access the number with the method that you gave, but as ger0 suggested I used your basic formula with the letter abbreviation of the book, and it finally worked! Thanks all!

I am very impressed with BW7. It's the best!

Bob Payne

I meant to say, John (Fidel). Getting old!

Bob

jfidel
02-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Bob,

We are both getting old as the method involves a left mouse click, not a right. The old leading the old?????

John Fidel

Ben Spackman
02-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Logos is playing ball!

Logs 3.0 Beta 8 (http://logos.com/Beta/Download) just appeared, and one of the things they listed is...

(drumroll)...

"Added libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink command for better support of BibleWorks External Links (more documentation coming later)"

I don't know what that means yet, but it can only be a good thing!

I'll be thanking them as well in their beta newsgroup. Really, this is the kind of good cooperation I like to see among Logos and BW (not that I've seen any bad cooperation.) Sure, on one hand they're competitors of sorts. But this says to me that they're putting the customer first.

DigitalSword
02-24-2006, 03:33 PM
I have tried several iterations with WTT and WTM, text and lemma to send Hebrew via the external link manager but only get the <dummy> parameter.

Unless I am doing something wrong, it looks like the hebrew is not being sent at all by the external link manager.

Has anyone successful sent hebrew text or lemma via the external link manager and if so could you post your parameters.

Thanks,
DigitalSword

Joe Fleener
02-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I have tried several iterations with WTT and WTM, text and lemma to send Hebrew via the external link manager but only get the <dummy> parameter.

Unless I am doing something wrong, it looks like the hebrew is not being sent at all by the external link manager.

Has anyone successful sent hebrew text or lemma via the external link manager and if so could you post your parameters.

Thanks,
DigitalSword

DigitalSword (a.k.a John?),

No, Greek and Hebrew is not currently being sent via the External Links. At this time you are only able use verse reference type links or non-Greek/Hebrew language links. (i.e. non-Unicode).

DigitalSword
02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, Joe its John GREETINGS!..I was able to get greek to fill the dummy parameter but not Hebrew...(perseus for example for Greek)...any other thoughts?

MBD
02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I bought HALOT from Brill. I can address it through Logos or directly from its own location on my HD. How can I best set it up so that it functions virtually as a dictionary linked with the Hebrew passages in BW7? Can I set External Links up so that I can highlight a word in a Hebrew passage and then access my HALOT? Could somebody help me how to set this up. I have never used External links before.

Ben Spackman
02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Here is the new Logos access (only in Logos 3.0 Beta 8). Fresh from the newsgroup.

In 3.0 Beta 8, we have added a TextKeyLink macro for use with BibleWorks' external links.

For example, to KeyLink on βίβλος, run:
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=*BI/BLOJ|lang=el|scheme=beta

The URL is
libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink
followed by additional parameters.

The possible parameters are:

text
====
Put the text on which you want a KeyLink to run in this parameter. The encoding of the text is specified by the 'scheme' parameter; URL-encoded UTF-8 is the default.

Example:
|text=<dummy>

scheme
======
The 'scheme' parameter specifies how the 'text' parameter is encoded.
Use 'beta' for Greek/Hebrew Beta code. If omitted, the scheme defaults to URL-encoded UTF-8.

Example:
|scheme=beta

lang
====
The 'lang' parameter specifies the language of the 'text' parameter. Any ISO language code is acceptable. Some common codes are
en English
el Greek
he Hebrew
x-arc Aramaic
syr Syriac

Example:
|lang=el

num
===
The optional 'num' parameter specifies the number of KeyLink windows to open. The default is whatever your KeyLink options specify for the current language.

Example:
|num=3

res
===
The optional 'res' parameter specifies the resource to use. The default is whatever your KeyLink options specify for the current language. You can either give the internal resource ID, or the resource title enclosed in double quotes.

Example:
|res="Analytical Lexicon of the Greek New Testament"

Examples
========

Here are some complete examples:

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=Moses|lang =en|res="Anchor"

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=*BI/BLOJ|lang=el|scheme=beta|res="Analytical Lexicon of the Greek New Testament"

So, start playing around with it!

pingpongjedi
03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
This is a cross post from the discussion on backups at
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6118#post6118
but the info should be here as well.

To backup BW info with 7-zip, download it from www.7-zip.org (http://www.7-zip.org) and install it. Edit the paths below to match where you installed 7-zip, where you want your backup archive to be, and where the include file is located. The include file is a text file that lists all the files or directories you want to backup.

I'm still looking for what should be in the include file.

//
// External Link #29
//
[Backup]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = c:\apps\7-zip\7z.exe
Parameters = a -tzip c:\apps\bwbackup.zip -ir0@"c:\apps\bwinclude.txt (-ir0@%22c:%5Capps%5Cbwinclude.txt)"
MenuLocation = External Resources
TextType = NULL
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = NULL
MenuText = Backup
Enabled = 1

arggem
03-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to creat a link to http://buscon.rae.es/diccionario/drae.htm , which is a Spanish dictionary. The following entry gets me to the site ok, but I can't figure out how to pass the form <dummy> to the page.

//
// External Link #17
//
[Real Academia]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://buscon.rae.es/diccionario/drae.htm
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Other
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Lookup in Spanish dictionary online
Enabled = 1

Any ideas? OR

Is there any way to have the word autmatically saved to the clipboard, then I can just paste it in? (Obviously I can highlight it and right click or Ctrl-C, but ... :))

pingpongjedi
03-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I tried a couple of variations, but was not able to do more than simply open Metzger's TC in BW. Could someone post how to use the ELM to open Metzger's TC to the current verse?

Thanks,

Michael Hanel
03-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I tried a couple of variations, but was not able to do more than simply open Metzger's TC in BW. Could someone post how to use the ELM to open Metzger's TC to the current verse?

Thanks,

Wouldnt you simply go to the Resource Summary window?

pingpongjedi
03-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, I thought that would work, but Metzger doesn't show up there. It is checked under the References tab. Tischendorf references show up, but Metzger doesn't. For instance, I was looking at Jude verse 5, and double-clicked on Jesus or Lord (depending on the translation). Metzger didn't show up, but Metzger does have an entry for Jude 5.

Michael Hanel
03-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, I thought that would work, but Metzger doesn't show up there. It is checked under the References tab. Tischendorf references show up, but Metzger doesn't. For instance, I was looking at Jude verse 5, and double-clicked on Jesus or Lord (depending on the translation). Metzger didn't show up, but Metzger does have an entry for Jude 5.

It definitely works for me. Ok so I have the browse window open to Jude 5. I go to the Resource Summary window and move the mouse over Jude 5 again just to make sure the Resource Window is open and it definitely has Metzger coming up. I'm not double clicking on any word however, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with that?

pingpongjedi
03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Hmmm....that's really strange. I have to double-click to get any of the resources to change; mousing over doesn't work, and Metzger doesn't show up at all. Perhaps there's a setting that I've missed?

pingpongjedi
03-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Ok, I think I've found it. It seems that Leedy New Testament Diagrams must also be checked for Metzger to show up. If Leedy is unchecked, Metzger doesn't show up either. Strange.

I still have to double-click, though, and I can't seem to make it find the reference for Jude 5.

Michael Hanel
03-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Ok, I think I've found it. It seems that Leedy New Testament Diagrams must also be checked for Metzger to show up. If Leedy is unchecked, Metzger doesn't show up either. Strange.

I still have to double-click, though, and I can't seem to make it find the reference for Jude 5.

be sure to email tech support about these quirks. I'm quite sure they can iron them out.

pingpongjedi
03-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Will do. Thanks for checking it out, though.

hubmair
03-18-2006, 06:24 PM

So, I think these are close, but they need a bit more...:confused:
Joe,

I would suggest that we are working too hard trying to generate links in BW, when the possible solution is to create a workspace in Logos that has the the Passage Guide, The Exegetical Guide and the NA27 open and linked together using the link function.

Then using the BW external link to the Logos NA27, Logos will run the Passage Guide and the Exegetical Guide on the verse.

Lastly, commentaries can also be open and linked, but they will be available in the Passage Guide. This keeps things simple. I hope this helps further the linking process.

John Fidel[/quote]

Could someone tell my how to make a link to the passage guide or to a workspace. I have seen references to it but I have not found the example.

jfidel
03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I am using Logos 3.0 Beta, actually RC1. These reports have an icon that looks like a link that allows for this to happen.

I don't recall if the non-beta version of Logos has this ability.

Logos 3.0 will be released as a final version pretty soon if you do not want to try the beta.

If you need further instructions, please let me know what version of logos you are running and I will try and assist further.

John Fidel

hubmair
03-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I am using Logos 3.0 Beta, actually RC1. These reports have an icon that looks like a link that allows for this to happen.

I don't recall if the non-beta version of Logos has this ability.

Logos 3.0 will be released as a final version pretty soon if you do not want to try the beta.

If you need further instructions, please let me know what version of logos you are running and I will try and assist further.

John Fidel

I am running the same thing and I saw your post on one of the logos forums. But I don't know where the links are or how the are to appear in command string in BW. I hate to sound so dumb. I have found the examples of the external links that everyone shared helpful. Otherwise, I would be lost

jfidel
03-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Randy,

Here goes:

In BW there should already be an external link built to link to the Logos NA27. Open BW go to the menu and select Resources the Edit External Links. Find the Logos-NA27 link and left click on it and make sure the enable this link box is checked, if not select it. Click OK. You do not have to do any more with BW.

Now open Logos and size the window of the program how you want it. I have mine sized to fit side by side with BW.

Now open a few books and reports: NA27 find the link icon in the book toolbar and select A. Next open the passage guide, find the link icon and select A. Next select the exegetical guide find the link icon and select A. Go to menu file save workspace and name it BW Workspace.

Now go back to BW find a Greek text right mouse click and select the Logos-NA 27 menu item. This should move Logos into action providing you the NA27 to the BW verse and then link the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide accordingly.

Hope this helps.

John Fidel

hubmair
03-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi Randy,

Here goes:

In BW there should already be an external link built to link to the Logos NA27. Open BW go to the menu and select Resources the Edit External Links. Find the Logos-NA27 link and left click on it and make sure the enable this link box is checked, if not select it. Click OK. You do not have to do any more with BW.

Now open Logos and size the window of the program how you want it. I have mine sized to fit side by side with BW.

Now open a few books and reports: NA27 find the link icon in the book toolbar and select A. Next open the passage guide, find the link icon and select A. Next select the exegetical guide find the link icon and select A. Go to menu file save workspace and name it BW Workspace.

Now go back to BW find a Greek text right mouse click and select the Logos-NA 27 menu item. This should move Logos into action providing you the NA27 to the BW verse and then link the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide accordingly.

Hope this helps.

John Fidel

Thank you very much. The part I was missing was the linking in Logos and understanding that it was the Bible that triggers it all. However, when Logos is not open and I click on the link, it will still have the verse from the previous use. But, after Logos is open and I click on the text in BW, now it will open to the proper verse in Logos. In other words, it reports the verse to Logos and opens it to that verse only if Logos is open. Is this normal? I mean it is a cool link but I wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly.

By the way, I don't have NA27 in Logos so I linked it to the KJV. With all that I have in BW, I never thought about using Logos for Greek studies.

Todd
03-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Is it possible in BW 7 to set up a external link to the old STEP format books? I have the Expositor's Bible Commentary that I would love to get hooked up.

Thanks

Todd

jdarlack
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Is it possible in BW 7 to set up a external link to the old STEP format books? I have the Expositor's Bible Commentary that I would love to get hooked up.Hi there Todd, I contacted Zondervan directly, and they confirmed that their software is not compatable with the ELM. That being said, titles in "STEP" format are supposedly a bit more transportable into other software packages, so perhaps there may be other programs that can read "STEP" files that are accessible through the ELM.

Todd
03-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I know that Pradis resources will not link up but I think that STEP might be different. Someone other than me would have to try it though to see if it works.

Todd

paterdr
03-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Here's my link for German text. As in the Italian dictionary link, this site can sense from the word whether it should go from German to English or vice versa.

// External Link #??
//
[German Dictionary]Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&search=<dummy>
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Other
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Lookup in German Dictionary online
Enabled = 1

Dan Pater

Dogfish Jones
03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
If I wanted to send a verse or a passage to Logos to do a resource search, how would I link to that using the ELM? If this has been covered already, just point me to the right post...I looked, but didn't see it. Thanks.

Greg Ward
03-31-2006, 08:41 AM
See post# 13 or 27. One passes the passage to the Libronix search for a particular resource or one of your collections. The other passes the passage to a Libronix reporting function. It only passes the passage reference to Libronix. You must go in and manually hit Search or Generate to begin execution.
Is this what you wanted?

Greg Ward
03-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Attached is my summary of the Logos commands on this thread. I don't understand everything on it, I've only summarized it. (All the "I"s are quotations from someone else on this thread.) Some of the items require Logos 3 releases (I've forgotten which ones):

Of course see Bibleworks Help first.
http://www.logos.com/training/weblinking (http://www.logos.com/training/weblinking)
http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/newsgroups
The hyperlink to jump to a Bible reference looks like:
libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:Gen%201:1|res=LLS:ESV The first part is the protocol, then the command string. The command string is made up of a command and then a parameter list. In this case the command is "keylink" and the only parameter is "ref", for "reference". The ref parameter has three parts: the language of the human readable reference (in this case "en" for "English"), the data type ("bible" for Bible references), and the human readable reference ("Gen 1:1") escaped into hyperlink-safe characters ("Gen%201:1" -- you can't have spaces, so they're converted to %20, the hexadecimal equivalent). The optional "res" parameter is the resource id of the preferred Bible.
Bible Reference Lookup
You might try: ...|res=LLS:NIBD
(You find the resource name through making that resource the active window, then HELP>ABOUT THIS RESOURCE. The resource name is what's listed in the file address under resource location, minus other file info.)
libronixdls:jump|ref=[en]topic:<dummy>|res=LLS:14.0.11
(In Logos:Open library Identify book press shift ctrl alt together and left mouse click. The ID number for the book will appear in the library window.)

Search
Calling for a search in Logos which passes the selected text to Logos Search dialog box: (Note: This this only opens the search dialog; it does not start a search.)
libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy>

You can open the Search dialog to a specific resource by appending the resource ID to the above command, or to a collection.
libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy>|res=<resource>

You can also search for a reference in a collection, etc.
libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=(collection name, with no space, parenthesis, brackets, or anything.)

(Go to tools - Define Collections within Libronix. You can create a Collection which is a combination of any "books" you have in Libronix and the give it a name. For this feature to work w/ BW don't put any spaces or other odd characters in the name of your Libronix collection, e.g Journals, Grammars, CommentarySeries)

Open Passage Guide:

libronixdls:report|action=none|collection=All%2520 Unlocked%2520Commentaries|collectionList=Journals% 3B|enableCollections=true|enableCommentaries=true| enableCompareVersions=true|enableCrossReferences=t rue|enableMaps=true|enableMusic=true|enableParalle lPassages=true|enableTopics=true|name=ReportPassag eGuide|passage=bible."<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"

Open Exegetical Guide:

libronixdls:report|bible=LLS%3A1.0.318|keyLinkCoun t=5|name=ReportExegeticalGuide|passage="<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|rareCount=50|showGlosses=yes|sh owKeyLinks=yes|showParsings=yes|showRare=no

(The above two commands will open the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide respectively with appropriate options checked. However, the passage is not being copied to the passage space in Brand X so the guides are not actually run.)

Another approach for biblical studies with commentaries:
I have a workspace I leave open, with the NRSV, BHS, and commentaries. All are linked to each other. When I want to see the commentary, I use BW to pass the bible reference. Logos opens the Bible to the right passage and the commentaries follow, automatically opening the correct volumes.
In Logos: tools -> options -> general -> check the radio button to "load workspace" and choose the one you want to load.

English Dictionary or Encyclopedia Articles:
This sends English (Latin) selected text to a Logos resource:
libronixdls:keylink|ref=text. <dummy>|res=LLS:ANCH

Greek Dictionary (lemma) Lookup
This sends a Greek Lemma to a Logos resource such as BDAG:
File = libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:BDAG
Note that you want to have the menu location as Browse Window Greek so that it only appears as an option when the pointer is over Greek text. You also want the lookup to only be the Lemma (not the Form) as you are searching for the dictionary entry. Map to version is not necessary as you are searching for a dictionary entry and not for a biblical text (or critical apparatus reference).

Opening an Libronix Workspace
To open an Libronix Workspace: This would have to be done through the object model, by getting an instance of the LibronixDLS.LbxApplication object, then calling the LoadWorkspace method.
I am using the following java script to call up workspaces from icons on my desktop/taskbar. Would there be a way to incorporate the weblink into this?

var objLDLS = null;
var e;
// Get the existing instance of libronix
try {objLDLS=GetObject("", "LibronixDLS.LbxApplication")}
catch (e) {
// There was no existing instance, open a new one.
objLDLS = new ActiveXObject("LibronixDLS.LbxApplication");
}
finally {
// Open the workspace you want
var objXMLDOM = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0");
objXMLDOM.load("C:\\Documents and Settings\\jdarlack\\My
Documents\\Libronix DLS\\Workspaces\\NT.lbxwks");;
objLDLS.LoadWorkspace(objXMLDOM,"");
objLDLS.Visible = true;
}
If you want to open the search dialog after loading the workspace, that
can be done through the Application's ExecuteCommand method. (The
libronixdls: protocol is just an easy way to call ExecuteCommand from a
web browser.)

After calling LoadWorkspace, add a line similar to:

objLDLS.ExecuteCommand("dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=something");

What I have done is create a workspace that has the following open and
linked together (Requires Logos 3): NA27; Passage Guide; Exegetical Guide. When I link in from BW via the NA27 it will automatically run the PG and EG. You can replace the NA27 with the KJV if you wish.

The key to the BW external link really lies in the power of being able to link together resources and save workspaces in Logos. I have a separate one setup for the OT, but if you use the KJV as your link in you only need the one workspace.

Dogfish Jones
04-01-2006, 01:37 AM
See post# 13 or 27. One passes the passage to the Libronix search for a particular resource or one of your collections. The other passes the passage to a Libronix reporting function. It only passes the passage reference to Libronix. You must go in and manually hit Search or Generate to begin execution.
Is this what you wanted?
Thanks Greg, this and your other post are very helpful!

hubmair
04-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks Greg, this and your other post are very helpful!

Go to message 89 and look at John's instruction on using the passage guide. He linked the passage guide to the KJV in Logos and when you call up the KJV link in BW, it will open the passage guide to the verse(s) and find all of your resources on that reference. When I do it, it does not open to the passage but if I hit the link after Logos is open, it will go to the passage you select. I don't know what the deal is on that but it works perfectly when Logos is already open.

euaggelion
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Not sure if anyone's interested, but here's a EL to zhubert.com

// External Link #29
//
[zhubert]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.zhubert.com/bible?book=<book>&chapter=<chapter>&verse=<verse>
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = KJV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Look up verse at zhubert.com
Enabled = 1

Todd
04-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Can anyone show me how to set up a link to a STEP commentary using the WordSearch 5 program. (or other STEP reader)
It is a little beyond me even if it can be done.

Thanks

Todd

CSUjr
04-18-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm new to much of this so please excuse my obvious ignorance.:o

I am looking for a way that visitors to my web site can conduct Bible searches using one of my Bible search programs.

I have the BibleWorks 6, InstaVerse and e-Sword programs installed on my hard drive and I am seeking a way to upload one of them so that visitors do not have to leave my domain to conduct their own Bible searches.

Is this what “External Links” can do? If so, can anyone direct me to the right place and/or code, and/or instructions to do this?

Thank you,

Charles

Dogfish Jones
04-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Is it possible to tell BW to open a new browser when linking to a website? I have links for the TNIV and The Message, but sometimes want to have both open at the same time.

Thoughts?

Michael Hanel
04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
What browser are you using? If you use Firefox, go to Options: Tabs : Open Links from other applications in: and select which you desire.

My thought is that this isn't a function of BW but of your web-browser, but I sure could be wrong.

Gontroppo
04-19-2006, 05:19 AM
I am looking for a way that visitors to my web site can conduct Bible searches using one of my Bible search programs.

I have the BibleWorks 6, InstaVerse and e-Sword programs installed on my hard drive and I am seeking a way to upload one of them so that visitors do not have to leave my domain to conduct their own Bible searches.

Charles, Rick Meyers, the Creator of e-sword wants people to have their own copies of his program. I don't think he wants you to get people to link to yoru website to use it.

And, concerning BibleWorks, I'm sure that the creators do not want you to effectively give people a free copy of the program by letting them use the program at your website. I am certain this would be illegal.

I don't know anything about the other program: you'd have to ask the creators or distributors of it.

David McKay

pingpongjedi
04-19-2006, 07:26 AM
if you really want people to be at your website searching the bible, check out biblegateway.com. They have copy and paste code that will allow you to do this. You'll probably have to put this in a frame so that they stay at your website.

Matthew D Vanden Heuvel
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Can I incorporate these two programs? How? I don't really know anything about the external links manager...
Thanks!

pingpongjedi
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Search this thread. This has been discussed, and in fact, there is copy and paste information for you to integrate e-sword with bibleworks. For more information about ELM, look in chapter 12 of the online help. There are some limitations, but you can call e-sword from bw.

Dogfish Jones
04-25-2006, 02:50 AM
What browser are you using? If you use Firefox, go to Options: Tabs : Open Links from other applications in: and select which you desire.

My thought is that this isn't a function of BW but of your web-browser, but I sure could be wrong.
I actually use IE most often. I'll check its options and see what it offers.

pfrobbins
05-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Added a link to Google Books. The limitation is that i does not do a phrase search, only a word search. Paste this into your shellexec.txt file, but change the external link number to one appropriate for your system.

This might have to change in the future as Google Books is still listed as beta.

// External Link #5
//
[Google Books]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.books.google.com/books?q=<dummy>&btnG=Search+Books&as_brr=0
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Google Books
Enabled = 1

Paul

kottman6
07-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi,
I can't seem to get E-sword to show up in my External Resources. Attached is a picture of the External Link Manager staging E-sword's codes. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something?

Adelphos
07-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi,
I can't seem to get E-sword to show up in my External Resources. Attached is a picture of the External Link Manager staging E-sword's codes. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something?

Change "Browse Window All" to "Browse Window Other"

Now it works, HOWEVER, it ONLY works if e-Sword is not running. If e-Sword is running, I get the error message "e-Sword is already running".

Anybody know how to fix this?

jdarlack
07-26-2006, 11:41 PM
. . . it ONLY works if e-Sword is not running. If e-Sword is running, I get the error message "e-Sword is already running". . . . Anybody know how to fix this?This is not an error on the part of BibleWorks; it's just the way E-Sword works. Joe Fleener discovered this a while back (see here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5186&postcount=7)). Note what Joe states:
Rick did say if e-Sword was open there was no way to navigate to a verse with an external call. You can only open the program to a particular verse.So, that means that BibleWorks can only "wake" E-Sword up, but it can't actually talk to it once it is awake!

Adelphos
07-26-2006, 11:45 PM
This is not an error on the part of BibleWorks; it's just the way E-Sword works...

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll email Rick Meyers and see if he can't change this for the next upgrade.

kottman6
07-27-2006, 02:49 AM
Thanks Brother Adelphos!;)

That would be great E-sword mods could be seamlessly integrated into BW.

MGVH
08-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I've been playing around a bit with the new Perseus4 (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/)site. Some things are much better than the old Perseus, some are just different, and the old still has some advantages (like noting "Similar words"). In any case, I think this works as a way to lookup a lemma on the large Liddell-Scott-Jones (ie, the Great Scott!). Other than grabbing the url from this text, I've had better luck editing the link from the tool within BW, so I've also attached a screen shot. I would encourage you to compare the results of the old Perseus lookup with this new one. In particular, clicking on links to references within the definition will bring you to a page with Greek/English/Latin, any of which you can make the focus text. Both Greek and Latin are all analyzed and one click to the dictionaries.

[EDIT: for some reason in the File= line, <dummy> has an extra space that you will have to remove]

[Lookup Lemma Perseus4 LSJ]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0057:entry=<dummy>
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Greek
TextType = Greek Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Lemma
MenuText = Lookup Lemma Perseus4 LSJ
Enabled = 1

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mark/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Michael Hanel
08-18-2006, 12:17 PM
There are still a few problems with Perseus accepting these call-ups. It works for many words, but Perseus still wants to accept a circumflex as "=" instead of "^" So I believe that any lemma you look up with a circumflex will give an error.

Second if there are multi-entry lemmas, they sometimes also produce errors. See for instance Phi-Omega-Sigma. Two entries, one with an acute, and one with a circumflex.

frdee
08-19-2006, 02:22 PM
There are still a few problems with Perseus accepting these call-ups. It works for many words, but Perseus still wants to accept a circumflex as "=" instead of "^" So I believe that any lemma you look up with a circumflex will give an error.

This appears to be a problem not with Perseus but with BW. The Betacode standard for a circumflex is "=" not "^". Cf TLG site http://www.tlg.uci.edu/BetaCode.html. I will send this as a bug to BW.

In the latest beta of Logos, they have changed their perseus look up to the perseus 4.0 site. They are using the morphology lookup tool, which in Perseus 4.0 is normally a popup window. Clicking on one of the Lexicon links will open the appropriate entry on the same page. Hitting the "search" link will open a new tab or window with the list of texts in which the word appears. Hitting the "word frequency" will display the information about word distribution across the corpera.

The appropriate line for BW external links would be: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph.jsp?la=greek&l=<dummy>

God Bless
Damian

frdee
08-19-2006, 03:42 PM
If your wanting to do a perseus morphology lookup for latin, the appropriate link is:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph.jsp?l=<dummy>&la=la
To go straight to the texts which feature the word (and it appears to search automatically on the lemma), the link is:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults.jsp?q=<dummy>&target=la
To this, if you would like the texts sorted in "document order", you can add:
&sort=docorder
otherwise, the texts are sorted automatically according to "relevance."

God bless
Damian McGrath

MGVH
08-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Very helpful links. Thanks!

Comet
10-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Actually, that is not totally true... One could write a tool that sends windows messages to e-sword that emulates keyboard input.

I have a prototype that works in concept against Pradis (Expositors). Getting access to the controls can be flakey (I suspect timing issues). If I timeout or loop until success it works, but this makes it very slow.:(

If I ever get it into a usable state, I will make it avaliable to the forum.

Comet
10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
I have a program that drives the Pradis user interface via windows operating system messages. It is somewhat of a reverse engineering job.

It is not super stable as the success of getting the "handles" to the combo boxes that specify book, chapter and verse is flakey, I think for timing reasons (works well in debugging sessions). I can get it to work if I insert timeouts, but that makes it slow :(

Also, it is not a generic solution, it would only work with the current version that comes with Expositors. That is because I depend on the resource indentifiers to the controls (combo boxes, etc) contained in the Pradis.exe. If they decide to change those IDs, it would no longer work.

I haven't done windows programming for years, this can probably be done by enumerating child windows and such rather than hardcoding to the resource ids...

Anyway, my point is that it is not impossible... just not supported by Pradis. BTW - If I do get it in a more usable state, I'd be happy to publish it as open source shareware.

richardsugg
10-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Steve,

I'd love to try out your program. I really love the EBC but wish it could somehow be converted to BW's format.

Comet
10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
If I get my progream more stable, I will publish it, but it is not at that state. I would not want to risk any harm to your system.

They do expose some automation, including database methods. Writing a program that pretends to be a keyboard is one thing, circumventing the program altogether would probably be frowned upon by Pradis, not something that could be published I would think.

If I come up with a reasonable and legal solution, I will make it public.

Cheers

ubuntu_user
01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Here are a couple external links to ebible.com (http://ebible.com)

They, most likely, can be improved. One can also sign up for the site. Members get more access.

:confused: Question: How does one pass a UserID and Password through the external link operation?

// External Link #38
//
[ebible]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.ebible.com/bible/<book>%20<chapter>:<verse>
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = KJV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Look up verse at ebible.com
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #39
//
[ebible word lookup]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.ebible.com/ency/WDBSA/<dummy>
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = ebible word lookup
Enabled = 1

ubuntu_user
01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
:confused: Can anyone improve on the search capabilities of the Gutenberg.org (http://gutenberg.org) search and author search? :confused:

// External Link #40
//
[Gutenberg Author Lookup]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.gutenberg.org/author/<dummy>
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Gutenberg Lookup by Author
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #41
//
[Gutenberg Search]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/search
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Gutenberg Search
Enabled = 1
//

ralotzer
04-21-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Using ELM for Calvin's Works
I am having a difficult time setting up ELMs.

Can someone write a step-by-step approach for how to do this?

I have read the other posts and I still can't figure it out.

I can open Calvin's works, but I can't get the actual search to take place. It is a PDF file, does that make a difference?

C:\Program Files\AGES\calvin.pdf

It would be helpful if this information could be put in the online help guide for actual programs on the computer. (All that's there is info on how to open a website and a CHM file).

Here are my ELMs (Luther collection and Calvin collection) if that would help figuring out my problem:

//
[Logos - Luther]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Luther
Parameters = NULL
TextType = NULL
MapToVersion = KJV
Lookup = NULL
MenuText = Logos - Luther
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #25
//
[Calvin Collection]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = C:\Program Files\AGES\calvin.pdf
Parameters = NULL
TextType = NULL
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = NULL
MenuText = Calvin Collection
Enabled = 1

[Maybe just editing these should fix my problem]

Thanks,
Robert

MGVH
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Following up on another post in this forum (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2687&highlight=logos), I've just posted some stuff (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2007/09/logos-workspace-and-bw7.html) that may help those of you who use both BW7 and Logos.

MGVH
10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
I've been looking for a quick way to check out a few other English translations that are not in BW7. Attached is a view of my External Links editor showing links to BibleGateway.com for quick access to the book/ch/v of some of the translations they have there.
Personally, I have had trouble editing/saving my ShellExec.txt directly, so I recommend using the Ext.Links editor in BW7. Use my graphic to get the parameters correct.

The only line you will need to paste in is:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=<book>%20<chapter>%3A<verse>&version=72
(Sometimes extra spaces somehow end up in that line. There should be no spaces.)
The version #72 at the end of the line is the code for the TNIV. Once you set up your first link, simply use the NEW button and create another and simply the change the version code to add other links.
E.g.:
CEV=46
The Message=65
You should be able to figure out the other version #s at BibleGateway.com.

MGVH
10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
While I am at it, here's a way to get the Good News Bible (=Today's English Version) at CrossWalk.com. (The following should all be one line, no spaces.)

http://bible1.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?word=<book>+<chapter>%3A<verse>&section=0&version=gnt&new=1&showtools=1&oq=&NavBook=mr&NavGo=1&NavCurrentChapter=1

Even better, get both the GNB and the CEV (at biblija.net with United Bible Society) in parallel using this line:

http://www.biblija.net/biblija.cgi?Bible=Bible&m=<book>+<chapter>.<verse>&id32=1&id33=1&pos=1&set=3&l=en&idp0=34&idp1=33

MGVH
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I just posted on my blog (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2008/06/great-scott-perseus-full-lsj-and-lewis.html) about a great, free program called Diogenes that puts the LSJ Greek-English lexicon (the Great Scott edition!) and the Lewis-Short Latin lexicon on your computer.
I do have the external links for Greek and Latin into the Perseus web site (and there remain advantages for using the web site... if it is working), but if anyone uses or installs Diogenes and knows how to pass parameters from BW7 to it, I would appreciate it if you share it here.

Andrew
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I followed your instructions to open E-Sword with BW7. I could open E-Sword but cannot get it to go to the chapter and verse that I'm at in BW. In fact, I've been having that problem with Logos as well with the commentaries I would like to open from BW. Any suggestions?

MGVH
11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
The new NIV 2010 (or are they going to call it 2011? I can't tell...) is now online at BibleGateway (http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-International-Version-NIV-Bible/). I am guessing that BW may try to incorporate it into their package at some point and replace the current NIV 1984. In the meantime, you can use the External Links manager to jump to it online.
Note that the full link line should read:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=<book>%20<chapter>%3A<verse>&version=NIV
(<< and make sure there are no spaces in there)