Thread: Arabic Bible

Question Arabic Bible

I am interested in compiling the Arabic Van Dyke-Smith bible translation into BibleWorks. I tried with few verses. The result was that the first line would show backwards but the second line would wrap up nicely and read correctly from right to left. Can any one give me some tips?

Milad

Smile Example Code?

Quote Originally Posted by dagherm
    I am interested in compiling the Arabic Van Dyke-Smith bible translation into BibleWorks. I tried with few verses. The result was that the first line would show backwards but the second line would wrap up nicely and read correctly from right to left. Can any one give me some tips?

Milad
    Hello Milad!

Thank you for taking on this project. I am sure that there are other BibleWorks users who would be interested in seeing this resource made available.

Are you willing to share the text of your Data Definition File (*.ddf) and an example of your text file you have used to compile this Bible? I could look it over and see if I could help.

If you would rather send me an email with an attachment instead of posting things to this thread, first email me by following this link: EMAIL JDARLACK
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Arabic Bible

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    Hello Milad!

Thank you for taking on this project. I am sure that there are other BibleWorks users who would be interested in seeing this resource made available.

Are you willing to share the text of your Data Definition File (*.ddf) and an example of your text file you have used to compile this Bible? I could look it over and see if I could help.

If you would rather send me an email with an attachment instead of posting things to this thread, first email me by following this link: EMAIL JDARLACK
    Well, I am looking forward to hearing from you both, where it reached so far

I would like to know if I can download a copy of the Arabic Bible for using with BibleWorks. If it is still in the process probably I can help you.
    Please let me know!

God bless you all!

Unhappy No further developments...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by zucuzucu View Post
    Well, I am looking forward to hearing from you both, where it reached so far
    Hello there zucuzucu!

I'm sorry, but there weren't any further developments in putting together an Arabic Bible. I can't recall hearing from dagherm about Van Dyke-Smith translation he mentioned.

Here are the issues with getting an Arabic Bible into BibleWorks:
    • Is there a public-domain text available for use in BibleWorks? It is illegal to take a non-public domain text and incorporate it into BibleWorks without the copyright holder's expressed permission.
    • Is there a non-Unicode version of the text available that can be used with BibleWorks? Right now, BibleWorks does NOT use Unicode. So, the most modern schemes of representing Arabic script would not work in BibleWorks. That being said, if someone knows of an Arabic Bible that is available in a non-Unicode font encoding, then there is a good chance that the Bible could be incorporated into BibleWorks.

If anyone knows of a non-Unicode, non-copyrighted Arabic Bible, then please post to this thread. Perhaps a new version could be created.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Arabic font

The Arabic font is excellent - large enough to read easily - except for one thing, that the harakat are small, a bit grey and occasionally hard to read with certainty. Is it possible to use that font (I can't find it in the font list) to write notes in the BW7 editor? One small point: in Zechariah 7:7 the question mark is wrongly placed it should be at the end of the verse.

Default Arabic Bible

My previous post on this subject (1st Jan 09) was about BW7. Today I see that in BW8 the Arabic script is small and rather spidery. I somehow managed to increase the size of the BW7 font, but I forget how I did it. In BW8 Options/Fonts the Arabic font is not listed, so I can't find a way of increasing its size. What is its name? Is there any way of enlarging it?

Question Fonts --> More

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Syed View Post
    My previous post on this subject (1st Jan 09) was about BW7. Today I see that in BW8 the Arabic script is small and rather spidery. I somehow managed to increase the size of the BW7 font, but I forget how I did it. In BW8 Options/Fonts the Arabic font is not listed, so I can't find a way of increasing its size. What is its name? Is there any way of enlarging it?
    I do not yet have access to BW8, but in BW7 there is a More-button in the Fonts tab in the Options dialog (see the attached picture). Perhaps this is the case in BW8 as well?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

Default Arabic Font in BW8

Many thanks. That worked perfectly. There is no 'More' button on the Font screen as there was in BW7 but there's a button 'Double-byte Fonts', which works exactly as you described. I enlarged the Arabic font to 20 point which is about right.

(You may get this message twice, as I lost a previous draft of it by pressing I don't know what).