Thread: Greek texts search?

Question Greek texts search?

While doing a study on Romans 6 to see where the various Greeks texts agreed and disagreed, I noticed that in Romans 6:1 in the BNT, the Greek word form for "continue" is a present active subjunctive, while the word form in the SCR is a future active indicative. I remember from my Greek classes in college that these two forms are translated in the same way. Is there a way that I can set up a query/search in BW to find all of the instances in the BNT and the SCR where this occurs?

This happens only in Rom 6:1

Just open the ASE, one wordbox with SCR: EPIMENOUMEN, one wordbox with BNT: EPIMENWMEN - Go

If you want to do a search on ALL ocurences of a present active subjunctive in BNT but a future active indicative in SCR, this seems to be rather complicate and involves several steps.
    You will come close, though by doing this search:
    ASE: SCM search for @vifa?? plus wordbox with BNM and ALSO @vifa??, but "invert results".
    This finds you all instances where there is a future active indicative in SCR, but none in BNT. You just have to check all the instances (48 verses) if there is a present active subjunctive in BNT instead.
    Best wishes
    Wieland
    <><
    ------------------------------------------------
    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
    Textcritical commentary:
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wie
    This happens only in Rom 6:1

Just open the ASE, one wordbox with SCR: EPIMENOUMEN, one wordbox with BNT: EPIMENWMEN - Go

If you want to do a search on ALL ocurences of a present active subjunctive in BNT but a future active indicative in SCR, this seems to be rather complicate and involves several steps.
    ASE: SCM search for @vifa?? plus wordbox with BNM and ALSO @vifa??, but "invert results".
    This finds you all instances where there is a future active indicative in SCR, but none in BNT. You just have to check all the instances (48 verses) if there is a present active subjunctive in BNT instead.
    Wieland, thanks for your help. You have been a good help to the rest of us.

Gilbert

Default Thanks to You!

Hey brother,

Thank you so much, I got the results I was looking for!

Blessings to you,

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by wie
    One caution about this search: if a verse has more than one verb in BNM and one of them is a future active indicative while the other(s) isn't/aren't, that verse will not be listed in your results, even though one of the verbs in the verse may match your criteria of being in the present tense.
    So you could try an "AND" search in the ASE, very similar to Wieland's search:
    SCM *@vifa* plus wordbox BNM *@vspa*
    This gives you a list of 35 verses to check.
    Between the two searches you should find all the verses you are seeking.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy