Thread: Various suggestions and corrections.

Default Various suggestions and corrections.

I've sent this to the appropriate email address as well, but I wanted to post them. I've kept a sticky note of suggestions and thoughts (and afew database errors).

1)Suggestions and questions

QST/QSM seems to run slowly, refresh slowly. Ocassionally, the AI is incorrect, in the sense that you'll have words A B C in the text, and mousing over A shows A, C shows C, and B shows... A or C, but not B. You have to open QSM and then mouse over the morphology version of B. Why is this?

It would be nice if the word learned/unlearned marker in the flashcards could be linked to a WLM or even a 1-click to o directly from "words learned" to highlighting all the words learned/unlearned in the Greek/Hebrew text.

The word list manager needs a small description box under each list, as the verse list manager has.

Aramaic really needs to arrange the AI window so that the dictionary definition appears before the article. I find myself scrolling through the lexicon entry on the article frequently.

Add Aramaic paradigms to paradigm window.

One click to paradigms. Ie., mouse over word, right click and select "paradigms" from the menu, and have it open directly to the appropriate paradigm, or at least the right language.

Something that shows you the verses in a chapter and what verse has a note in it. I use notes in each verse (instead of chapter notes) and I frequently remember that I have a note somewhere in a chapter, but can't remember where, which dictates clicking through each verse until I find what I had noted.

2) Errors
    futato gramar. Section 6.10-6.14 the coloring is clearly not what it's supposed to be.

hb'd>ki in Dan 2:9 pulls up a completely wrong word in HALOT. Brings up #8852, ramiti. Should go to #10737.

At=r"WbG> in Jdg 8 21 send you to aramaic instead of Hebrew.

The reference window (which shows you which grammar books have a reference to that passage in it) is wonderful, but inconsistant. Sometimes it will have a passage, and sometimes not. I have also found passages listed in the book but that don't show up in the reference window when I actually open the Bible to that reference.
    Ben

Default One more

How difficult would it be to make an option for scripture references to open in a pop-up window when moused over and in the main window when clicked on? This would be particularly useful in the lexicon browser, avoiding the necessity of clicking on a reference and alt-tabbing back and forth with each new reference.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman
    2) Errors
    hb'd>ki in Dan 2:9 pulls up a completely wrong word in HALOT. Brings up #8852, ramiti. Should go to #10737..
    I think the problem is really with WTM, not HALOT. BDB also wrongly displays the Hebrew entry B8970 ytim'r'. Actually here are major problems in the Aramaic sections of WTT with links to BDB and HALOT entries. I reported a similar problem a couple years ago:

In WTT t
    he last word in Dan 7:8 (!b")r>b.r:) and first word in Dan 7:9 (hzEx') are both incorrectly linked to BDB Hebrew defitnition B8970 ytim'r' (page 928). They should be linked to Aramaic definitions. The same is true for all forms of bty (Dan 7:9f etc.), all forms of qpn (Dan 7:10; 2;13f etc), all forms of Wkl.m; (Dan 7:14 etc), all forms of hd[ (Dan 7:12,14, etc)

It makes me wonder if ytim'r' is someone's favorite Hebrew word.

At=r"WbG>
    in Jdg 8 21 send you to aramaic instead of Hebrew.
    This problem is only with HALOT. BDB correctly displays the Hebrew entry.

The reference window (which shows you which grammar books have a reference to that passage in it) is wonderful, but inconsistant. Sometimes it will have a passage, and sometimes not. I have also found passages listed in the book but that don't show up in the reference window when I actually open the Bible to that reference.
    Could you give a few examples of this? When I open the "Lexical and Grammatical Help" window, I haven't had any problems.

In Christ,
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 06-11-2005 at 05:22 PM.

Default Examples

I think it's a bug, not an index problem. Here's an example, happens on my laptop and desktop.

I'm in multiple-version mode, with WTT, KJV, NRS, NET, TNK and NIV open, power-user command line.

Make sure the ref. window is closed. Go to Gen. 9:21. Open the refereence window (doesn't matter if it's from the menu or button). Low and behold, we find several references in HALOT and 3 in Gesenius. Now, using the button, advance or go back a verse, where we find references for both Gen. 9:20 and 9:22. Go back to Gen 9:21, (doesn't matter if you type it back in, or use the buttons). NO information for Gen. 9:21 appears, and you can't get it to appear unless you close the reference window and open it again.

So, what seems to be happening is that after you see them the first time, the system "loses" any references to the passage you first opened the window for.
    Ben

You're right. You've discovered a bug left in 6.0, an endangerred species. The Lexical and Grammatical Help window does not return to the original verse to which the user opens it, if you leave it open and move the results window to another verse then back to the original verse. That happens in both New and Old Testaments. If you sent the bug report to the right place, it should get exterminated fairly soon.

God bless!
    Mark Eddy