Thread: Exegesis Guides

Question Exegesis Guides

I'm wondering what exegetical guides are the most popular out there. I'm presently using Gordon Fee's NT Exegesis 3rd edition...the section called a Short Guide for Sermon Exegesis. I'm planning to use the OT version of this by Douglas Stuart for a series on Nehemiah this year.

Does anyone know where I can go to explore what other exegesis guides are available and who uses or recommends them?

Thumbs up Exegesis Guides

Hey David,
    I just found this link from Yale with a list of guides, i hope it helps.

http://www.library.yale.edu/div/bibleref.htm

On the left hand side go to exegesis guides.

Or try this:

http://www.library.yale.edu/div/bibleref.htm#exegde

Exclamation Using BibleWorks for O.T. Exegesis

Here is another link showing how to use BibleWorks for Old Testament exegesis.

http://www.library.yale.edu/div/bw-otexe.htm

Lord bless!

For NT have a look at:

Guthrie, George H. and J. Scott Duvall. Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1998.

For OT take a look at:

Chisholm, Robert B. From Exegesis to Exposition: A Practical Guide to Using Biblical Hebrew. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1998.

David Kummerow.

Default Recommended books

I don't have these two books. Can you give me a summary of what they cover
    and how they may vary from other exegetical books? What endorsements do
    they carry?

Thank you!

David

Default One more...

Although very short and specialized the $4.00 you'd pay for John Piper's booklet on arcing is extremely valuable. I have been hoping that BW will include an arcing module in their next release.

Another good reference on arcing is from Thomas Schreiner.

Peace,

Jeremy

Hi David,

Biblical Greek Exegesis presents methods of grammatical diagramming and semantic diagramming. It's somewhere between a workbook and a textbook.

From Exegesis to Exposition is much like Stuart's book, but more comprehensive I think and works towards the goal of sermon preparation.

Have a look to see if you can find any reviews online.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.

Talking

One of the best guides I have ever read was "The Hermenutical Spiral", by Grant Osborne. It is quite comprehensive, but it covers almost every area when it comes to serious exegesis. It does take some time to go through, it is not one of those books you will fly through, but when you finish you will be much more prepared.

garrell><>
    IN CHRIST
    GCALTON

Default Sermon Exegesis

Thank you. I appreciate these suggestions. Most of them I've not known about.

Quote Originally Posted by gcalton
    One of the best guides I have ever read was "The Hermenutical Spiral", by Grant Osborne. It is quite comprehensive, but it covers almost every area when it comes to serious exegesis. It does take some time to go through, it is not one of those books you will fly through, but when you finish you will be much more prepared.

garrell><>

Thumbs up Gordon Fee's stuff

David I am really enjoying Gordon Fee's "To What End Exegesis?" which is his 3rd collection of essays on exegesis and hermeneutics [and also textual criticism.]

I assume the previous collections would also be helpful, which are "Listening to the Spirit in the Text" and "Gospel and Spirit: Issues in NT Hermeneutics"

Fee has some great reflections on the Holy Spirit and on the Trinity. I write as a non-Pentecostal. I think all Christians would find his writings of great benefit.

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info