Thread: N.T. Apocrypha anyone?

Default N.T. Apocrypha anyone?

Have any of you taken a look at the New Testament Apocrypha? If so, i would like to get your take.

Alan

Default An interesting read...

The "Apocryphal NT" is certainly an interesting read. I'm dipping into it a little right now, studying the "historical James." See my blog (in which I hope to post copies of the relevant texts & translations within the week).

I think they're worth a read--for their value as windows into the early church and its dealings with heterodoxy. At the same time, I certainly would not ascribe some of the historical weight given to them by some folks. For instance, Robert Eisenman (in studies of James the Just as an historical figure) places a large emphasis on documents like the 1 & 2 Apocryphon of James and the Pseudo-Clementine Recognitions. In doing so, he weaves some pretty elaborate tales--conspiracy theories--that place James as the Qumran Teacher of Righteousness, Jesus as a Zealot and the Gospels as propaganda used to thwart the true history found in the Pseudo-Clementines, etc. (See here for a review of one of Eisenman's books.)
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing