Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibleworks Plus

Default Bibleworks Plus

I am finding that I am not the only BW user who also relies heavily on other software. What other programs do you use and why?

I have QuickVerse 8 only because it has the Holman Bible Dictionary and is STEP compatible and I have Expositors Commentary and Lessonworks in STEP.

I also use Bible Navigator because I love the Holman Christian Standard Bible and it is the only program that has it currently, other than the Internet.

I also have PC Study Bible because it has the Pulpit Commentary, which I use on occasion.

I have an old version of Logos because it has the Steve Green Midi Hymnal.
    Dr. Kevin Purcell I am a BW9 User!
    Columnist for Christian Computing Magazine
    See my personal blog at www.KevinPurcell.org
    Follow me on Twitter @kapurcell

Default My Christian software

G'day Kevin.

I use The IVP Essential Reference Collection, version 1. The interface is not nearly as good as BibleWorks, but I can't get my computer to download the Libronix one. I find this very strange, because I have an up to date computer [Hewlett Packard Pentium 4, with 60 gigs HD, 128 megs of RAM, XP operating system].

The software doesn't recognise my cordless mouse and won't let me use the scroll button.

I like the IVP software only because of its content, which is 18 books such as The New Bible Dictionary, The New Bible Commentary [so I gave my hard copy to my daughter] the terrific Dictionary of Biblical Imagery, the superb New Dictionary of Biblical Theology and the collection which includes The Dictionary of Christ and the Gospels, etc

Couldn't have fitted all the books on my shelves!

I also use the new version of The Expositor's Bible Commentary. It has a much better interface than the original version, but I am still getting used to it. There are some excellent commentaries here, including vanGemeren on Psalms and Carson on Matthew.

David McKay
    avnagegennhme,noi ouvk evk spora/j fqarth/j avlla. avfqa,rtou dia. lo,gou zw/ntoj qeou/ kai. me,nontoj

Default My variouses

I use e-sword, largely for the Webster's Dictionary.

I also have some of the AGES software, particularly their Spurgeon collection, Owen, and The Master Christian Library (ver. 8), which has a wide collection of classical theology, commentary, reference, biographies, and a "Holiness" collection I will never, ever look at. (c;

I love AGES for the pricing and the breadth of material but what I don't love are the many, many typos. )c8
    Last edited by Dan Phillips; 04-04-2004 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Thought to add
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Default Bible Study Software Essentials

Here are my essentials. (http://users.rcn.com/fleener/Bible_S...ssentials.html)

Bible Study Software Essentials:

Bible Works - Currently version 6.0. The base package contains everything one needs to do original language exegesis. They also offer a select group of additional modules to aid in further exegetical study.

Galaxie Software - Theological Journal Library. You could never afford the paper copies or the shelf space to hold all that is on this CD. (To get all the journals, you must buy version 5 & 6.)

Vocab Works - An excellent and FREE vocab program.

CCEF - The Journal of Biblical Counseling CD-ROM.
    New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology

The Essential IVP Reference Collection Contains You'll have instant access to IVP's award-winning New Testament dictionary series (Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, Dictionary of Paul and His Letters, Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments, Dictionary of New Testament Background), the immensely popular Bible background commentaries (IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament, IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament), and the New Bible Dictionary and New Bible Commentary, which have set the standard for Bible reference books for over a generation. And that's just the beginning! Does a particular verse trouble you? Hard Sayings of the Bible gives in-depth explanations of over 500 of the most difficult passages in the Old and New Testaments. Are you interested in the meaning of recurring images in Scripture? The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery will aid your exploration of the themes, metaphors, imagery and patterns of Scripture. New Bible Atlas, New Dictionary of Biblical Theology and New Dictionary of Theology will help round out your study of the places, peoples, interpretations and implications of biblical teaching." And more.

e-Sword - An unbelievable amount of free stuff for your PC. Excellent quality and easy to use. I highly recommend this!

Christian Classics Ethereal Library - For $20.00 you can get a huge collection of Biblical writings.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default My tools

Bw 6.0 is my prime tool.

In the last 6 months, I've picked up some assorted things available via Logos- The back issues of Biblical Archaeology Review, Anchor Bible Dictionary, Bright's History of Israel... I do'nt have any of their packages. They just seem too expensive, and I can do it faster in BW. ( The SESB with electronic apparatus will be pretty tempting.)

I also use E-sword for the free Keil/Delitzsch commentary on the Old Testament.

I also have some older FolioViews programs for LDS Studies.
    Last edited by Ben Spackman; 04-04-2004 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling

I constantly use BW6 and would not part with it except for the future BW7.

I too use some of the Ages Software collection: John Gill, John Calvin, Reformation History Library, McClintock & Strongs Cyclopedia, Charles Spurgeon, John Owen, and the Masters Christian Library (8) but certainly would not recommend everything found in them. But they are a helpful source and quite inexpensive in comparison to printed editions.

As well as the following:

Luthers Collection (55 Vols) is on CD produced by Fortress Press.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) on CD is a favorite.

A set of cds called the Puritan Bookshelf and the Reformation Bookshelf (62 cds) produced by a ministry in Canada.

Also, I have few dozen cds which contain books and Bible texts I have scanned for reference (no copyright material).
    Mark Langley
    Sovereign Grace Baptist Church of Topeka, KS

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

to. de. r`h/ma Kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na tou/to de, evsti to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/j

Default link please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Langley
    A set of cds called the Puritan Bookshelf and the Reformation Bookshelf (62 cds) produced by a ministry in Canada.
    Link please :-).

Default Link

Hi Thomas,

Here is the site for the 62 cds.

http://www.swrb.com/
    Mark Langley

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

to. de. r`h/ma Kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na tou/to de, evsti to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/j

Default Other Programs I Use

BibleWorks has become my primary biblical study tool. I still also use the following:
    Bibloi (formerly BibleWindows-guess who put the pressure on to make them change the name) from Silver Mountain because: a) it is the best 'value' for most of my students who have some Greek knowlege and primarily need some assistance translating and basic word searches, etc. [If they have the money or plan to do more detailed work, I recommend BibleWorks] and b) it is Unicode compatible [though John Kendall has written and graciously shared a MSWord macro to convert BW Greek to Unicode; Matthew Anstey has a VB Access script for the Hebrew I haven't quite gotten to work yet] and c) it is now able to import/convert any Online Bible and Unbound Bible texts and d) it has support for Nota Bene Lingua which I occasionally use
    Online Bible for some of its maps and charts and Latin Dictionary [though this last item is now less significant since BW now has the right click link to Perseus]
    ESword because it has CEV, GoodNews, and The Message versions and for some of its maps, art, graphics.
    QuickVerse I use rarely, but I have a basic, add-in notes commentary by Kee on the Bible.
    I do have some CD volumes of the New Interpreter's Bible and am planning to get the New Interpreter's Study Bible.
    I also use Davka's Legends of the Jews.
    I also use a number of online resources I've linked HERE.

I forgot to metion I also have some Bible maps that I have purchased from Logos but have not been too impressed with them, but they are workable. I am glad BW has given included some maps in a recent update.
    Mark Langley