Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NET Bible (another English version)

Default NET Bible (another English version)

I was skeptical with another English version of the scriptures, lets face it, without proper training in the original languages we are handicapped , right from the start we are linguistically challenged, lacking the ability to see the beauty and understanding of foreign languages. But, that's another subject.

What I was wanting to express is that the notes are great! In my opinion they are far more accurate then that of the NIV's Life Application Bible. Please understand, I am not slamming the NIV LAB, just expressing my opinion, my Pastor loves the NIV LAB.

I also e-mailed ROHR Productions Ltd. to see if I could acquire the Maps. They e-mailed me back and basically said yes.

If anyone is interested, contact Beth Guthrie at 616 974 2593.

David

The notes are impressive. I'm very disappointed in the translation itself, however -- not the concept, but the execution. What a mish-mash.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Dan - I agree 100% on the mish-mash. When I read some of the text, I said !!

Default NET translation

We required all our students to buy the diglot NET / NA27 here at my seminary. The main reason was for the notes, which for the most part are quite good. Do note that there is quite a difference between the print version of the notes and the online/downloadable version. (The online has more, especially with their "sense notes.") With the notes, but even more so with the translation, I have noticed a mixed quality. It strikes me, as the NET does indicate, that this is a work in progress and that it is not fully a committee project that has been equally edited across all the books.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by ugotdave
    Dan - I agree 100% on the mish-mash.
    There's one I looked for and haven't found, Dave, where the translator clearly misread the word, and no one caught it. Like dabar is translated as if it were derek, or the reverse. I think it's Psalms or Proverbs, but I haven't re-found it yet.

I'm chuckling now at Proverbs 19:18, where the textual note contradicts the in-text rendering! Definitely need for a more thorough peer-review process!

Dan
    Dan Phillips

Smile David, I C What U Mean

I stuggle myself with all these english translations. They make my head spin. I'm learning greek myself. I'm enjoying learning the language. It may take me years to learn, but Lord willing, I'll do it. I keep wondering about a software called "Introduction to NT Greek"? I'd like to get a software for all levels of learning greek. BW has Greek Beyond the Basics. Can anyone tell me about this software that I speek of. Here's the link: http://www.logos.com/products/details/1065. If anyone can let me know it would be much appreciated.

David
    IPeter 3:15

Ah! I found the one I saw earlier. It's pretty conscpicuous, as it's both in the text and in the footnote.

In Psalm 119:37, the translator clearly took derek as if it were dabar. Check it out.
    Dan Phillips

Post dabar and derek in psa 119:37

I wasn't quite sure what the intent of your msg was Dan, but I want to defend NET a little bit. If you check your hard copy of BHS you'd see on that verse that one Hebrew Manuscript and the Targums have in your word, and says to compare with verse 25. Anyway point is that their translation might be different, but not a typo or a "mistake" since it does have textual evidence.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thumbs down BHS without apparatus, cf. NET without poetic line breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    I wasn't quite sure what the intent of your msg was Dan, but I want to defend NET a little bit. If you check your hard copy of BHS you'd see on that verse that one Hebrew Manuscript and the Targums have in your word, and says to compare with verse 25. Anyway point is that their translation might be different, but not a typo or a "mistake" since it does have textual evidence.

And there we have a good argument for getting the BHS apparatus in BW if at all possible. Just as the NLT without poetic line breaks is not quite the NLT, so to the BHS 4th ed. without the apparatus is not quite BHS4. I know the German Bible Society is hanging on to it, but we can keep begging for it on the principle that they might come to pity us and let go of it.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

I know the German Bible Society is hanging on to it, but we can keep begging for it on the principle that they might come to pity us and let go of it.
    I would think w your last name, you would know German stubbornness a little better But i agree, if the texts themselves are available, there is no reason that the apparati shouldn't be.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!