Thread: Additional flashcards

Default Additional flashcards

Is there a resource where I could integrate Ugaritic and Akkadian (whether transliterated or cuneiform) flashcards into the flashcard module without manually entering all of the information myself? Ditto with aramaic.

I'll be starting my doctorate next year and will have classes in both Ugaritic and Akkadian upon matriculation; I need all the help I can get!....

Does anyone know if there are plans to integrate some more serious Hebrew resources into Bibleworks (you NT folks are unfairly spoiled!) like KAI, Juoun, Mishna, etc...?

Good question!
    As of now, as a spoiled New Testament student, I would like to know if its possible to make flashcard for the Josephus texts. Is this possible by altering word range, or does one have to create a vrt.file (and if so is it possible to export words from the word manager so as to not typewrite everythiing?)?

Thanks for your input on this.
    Carsten

Post good feature, but...

First off, I am pretty sure it's not possible to make vocabulary with Josephus. I don't think the Vocab manager will allow you to do choose something in josephus for the range to pull words from like it would for say the book of Exodus. And here's at least another reason why it wouldn't work. The vocabulary card sets have all of the vocab for the OT and NT (hebrew and greek that is), but they do not have say all of the vocabulary for the Greek Septuagint. So when you open the file "gntvoc.vrc" it is possible to do what you want within the NT and likewise if you open "hotvoc.vrc" it is possible to select passages from the OT. But you can't do it in the Septuagint because no one has made a vocabulary database of all the words and their meanings in the LXX. Make sense? The only reason the flashcard module works is because they've gone thru and made sure they had every word defined.

So no one has ever done that for the LXX and then the same goes for things like Josephus.

My suggestion to both the first post and the second post on this thread is to try some other vocabulary programs out there that were specifically designed with this end in mind. I know that there are programs that have Ugaritic vocabulary, so for the present you can try them (Try google to find some or else ask around, i came up with this little website as one example http://www.johnstrt.demon.co.uk/ugar...c/vocintro.htm). As for Josephus, unless there is some book out there that breaks down vocabulary, I don't know that any such program exists that would do this. The only other program I know that has Josephus in greek on it is Accordance and I'm not quite sure of that programs capabilities when it comes to this feature.

And for the record, whenever you find that BW doesn't do something you want be sure to email the folks at BW and request such a feature. That's how such things get included!
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 03-17-2005 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

You can created a new vocab "vrt" file. Yes, you will have to do it manually, BUT that may be easier than you realize. Perhaps you know how to do this already, but it's worth giving a brief look at my experiment. If you want more details, I'll try to work them out. Here's how I do it.

If you send any of the vrt files to Excel, that program will bring it up in columns, la 'tab delimited database'.

There you can change what ever you want. For example, if you have a electronic list of your vocabulary words, you could easily paste it into the first and second columns of the file as opened in Excel. Change the third column to the language font you want to use, H for Hebrew, G for Greek, edit the title, copyright, etc. and save it Excel, making sure it gets saved as a pure tab delimited text file. Obviously, give it a new name so you don't overwrite the model you sent into Excel. Note that upon "Save as...." Excel will warn you that your newly edited will lose any font formatting you may have used to enter, say, Greek or Hebrew text, but that's what you want, for now. In order to let the BW module do it's font work, it needs this pure text file. Making sure, however, your new file still has the .vrt extension, you can import it in the flashcard manual and use it there.

Again, parts of this are manual, but it could be pretty quick and almost automatic if you already have electronic lists of your words.

Does this help? Hope so. If it's worthwhile, I'll elaborate.

Dan Pater