Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default delete delete

delete delete

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_user
    Maybe Crossover Office would work for you. Fonts are the major issue from all I have read with BW on Linux
    Sorry... disregard this message... I reviewed your other posts

Default BibleWorks in VMware Player!

WOW! I just installed SimplyMepis 6.0 with VMware Player and it appears that this will be a great way to run BibleWorks and those other "must have" Windows applications. I have BW5 and hope soon to upgrade to 7. As I stated in a previous post, I have run BibleWorks and a few other necessary applications under Win4Lin98 and it worked great. But when Mepis dropped support for it in kernel 2.6.15 I thought I would give the Pro version a try. It was SLOW. Well version 2.6 claimed to be faster. I gave it a try. I have an install of Mepis 3.3.1-1 with Win4Lin98 and an install of Mepis 3.4 with Win4Lin Pro 2.6 with Win 2000 on the same machine so I ran some identical searches in BibleWorks and in Libronix Theological Journals Library. I my new install is also on the same machine. I will list the search, 98 version results, Pro version results and Mepis 6.0 with VMware Player.

Journals Library for YHWH all resources: 2 min 32 sec; 2 min. 28 sec.; 1 min. 34 sec.
    Journals Library for YHWH Bib Sac only: 38 sec.; 29 sec.; 9 sec.
    Journals Library for "Zane Hodges" Bib Sac only: 1 min. 40 sec.; 36 sec.; 12 sec.
    BibleWorks NKJ for the: 5.38 sec.; 3.4 sec.; 1.8 sec.
    BibleWorks NKJ for "the Lord": 1.1 sec; 1.06 sec.; 0.4 sec.
    BibleWorks ASE Granville Sharps: 6.76 sec; 10.22 sec.; 6.4 (no, I did not reverse these)

I cannot compare them to a native install under either Windows operating system, because I do not have a Windows install.

I AM impressed. VMware Player was easy to install from the repositories, the price is right (free as in $$), and with Tools installed on the Win 2000 guest I can copy and paste text into OpenOffice running in Linux. I don't know how much of the speed increase is Player or Mepis 6.0 (it does seem noticeably fasted and boots in almost half the time as my previous version).

Just thought some of you might like to know.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default BW7 & Fedora Core 6

Is anybody running BW7 on Fedora Core 6? I had BW6 running on Fedora Core 5, but I did a fresh install with BW7 and FC6 and now cannot make it run. It starts up, then I get the error/shutdown message mentioned in other notes. I am not sure what I have done wrong. I also cannot get BW6 to install anymore. I have tried to download any updates on the BW website, but the wine installation says I don't have ie installed (though I have done so) and the Crossover installation says ie is installed (but I don't find it).I have tried installing and running using both wine (0.9.27) and Crossover Office 6 (RC 2).

Running
    Fedora Core 6 (kernel version 2.6.18-1.2868)
    Gnome 2.16
    Wine 0.9.27 or
    Crossover Office 6 RC 2 with wine 0.9.15
    BW is one of only three Windows apps that I need. I also use Logos (for BAR, ABD, and miscellaneous other reference works) and FolioViews (for the New Interpreter's Bible). I am finding it so frustrating that I cannot get BW7 working.

I wish the folks at BibleWorks would work with Codeweavers to port BW to Linux and Mac using the wine libraries. I would think the work wouldn't be that significant in order to open up new markets.

I understand that what you request would be ideal, but if you have a valid Windows license you can accomplish all you want with VMware Player or Server. Both are free as in $$$. For me I prefer Player. It acts like another window and I can cut and paste text into Linux apps, such as OpenOffice. I run BW7, Libronix Digital Library System which is Logos based (or is it visa versa), PageMaker (for legacy documents), e-Sword (I also run BibleTime), and MS Streets & Trips (I haven't found a Linux equivalent).
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default BW5 and Ubuntu / Wine

I don't know if this would be helpful for newer versions of BibleWorks, but this is what I did with v5. With an earlier version of Wine, the installation was seemless. When Wine was updated to 0.9.29 the installation got messy, but it works. Unfortunately, you only get one chance. After that, the BW setup program will not run. I imagine there is something you can delete to get it to run, but I couldn't find it.

I also could not get BW to run until I allowed the installer to create a desktop icon. The new Wine works its magic, and creates a launcher icon on the Linux desktop. There are multiple error messages during the install that make it seem like it is not going to install or work, but it did. I can now lauch from the icon. The program also saves settings between sessions, which did not work with an earlier version (maybe two years ago) of Wine.

I cannot add any new bible versions, since this involves running the setup a second time. If you have space, I suggest installing all the translations you could ever want during the first installation.

-Michael Eldridge
    -San Jose, CA

Default Unnamed file modified

Just finished installing Gentoo on my laptop. (Yay it works great! except for the sound).
    Using Wine 0.9.30 I've installed and run Bibleworks 7 including all updates and so forth.
    At the moment I've only got one problem:
    On loading and exiting I get a dialog that says
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibleworks Dialog
    the file [unnamed] has been modified do you want to save it?
    Yes I can keep clicking No and just go on, but there has to be a way to stop that. Any hints?

I'm a die-hard Linux user (Gentoo and Slackware), and I get good results using BibleWorks with VMWare emulating Windows. My only installation CD for Windows is Windows 2000, but it runs beautifully and responsively under VMWare. Because VMWare integrates so nicely into the host Linux system, it's very easy to transfer text files that I generate while using BW to a directory (folder) where I can access them using my Linux apps.

The only drawback here is cost, as VMWare is quite expensive. I was able to qualify for a steep educational discount a few years ago. It may be that the free VMWare Player will do the job, too. There are also other operating system emulators and virtual machine apps that could be good: Win4Lin (commercial), Parallels (commercial but much less expensive than VMWare), QEMU (free, open-source).

Though I have used Wine for some Windows apps, I haven't done so with BW.

Default VMware Player is great!

dhave, you are exactly correct, at least according to my experience. VMware Player works great (see posts #83 & #85 above) and with www.easyvmx.com the virtual machine can be built easily and for free. I run Mepis and everything needed is easily installed from the repositories. I don't see why every Linux user who needs Windows programs doesn't use it since a valid Windows license is probably a part of most computer purchases.

Default no license

The problem is I used the Windows license for another computer and this laptop has no license so I'm trying to make the best of it. WINE does a really good job of answering some of the questions but I can't legally use QEMU or VMWARE without a valid-unused Windows license to run them on.

<sigh>
    The age of Linux will continue to be held off for as long as programs that people use remain locked to Microsoft.
    </sigh>