Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille
    What are your versions? Which version of wine? What distro? Which version of KDE?
    For the wait...

Right now I'm running Kubuntu Breezy and wine 0.9.8.
    KDE version is 3.5.0

Here's what I did:
    I installed wine.
    I installed winetools (do a google search, it's easy to find). And I used that to installed dcom98 and IE (and then promptly buried IE so I didn't have to look at the evil thing).
    Then I installed BW.
    Before opening up BW I ran 'winecfg' and added the bw700.exe executable to the main tab, telling it to run as windows XP (win2000 works just as well).

While unicode in the editor is hopelessly broken, exporting unicode from the browse window (or whatever it's called now) works pretty good with a variety of unicode fonts (I've tried silGalatia, SBLHebrew, Silver Humana, Code2000, and Ezra Sil so far). This is how I primarily use BW7 (I left 6 installed in case I want to use the editor).

The other thing is this - vmware has released a free "server version" of vmware. I installed XP into a virtual machine and have BW in there. This is less attractive to me (as I can't stand XP), but everything works as it would on a native machine. I did have to go with the post-script fonts, though - because the video driver vmware uses gives that old bug with clear-type and the accents in hebrew/greek.

Still WE NEED A NATIVE LINUX VERSION.

Sounds pretty close to my setup, I'm running Gentoo with KDE 3.5.1, using Wine 0.9.8, also already have all the winetools installed. And I have about the same problems, with the toolbar being one of two that annoy me. The other is for some odd reason when I scroll up in the Bible window, the font doesn't refresh properly and is printed a bit distorted. There are a few ways to make it refresh, but the problem is annoying. I had the same issue with BW 6. Still, I can live with that and I don't use the toolbar too often so I can live without it, but it would be nice to see it working.

As for a native linux version, I don't see that happening. Too much work to do just for the 6 of us that are interested in it.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

Default Win4Lin Pro 2.6

I have run BibleWorks and a few other necessary applications under Win4Lin98 for about a year and a half. It works great. But when Mepis dropped support for it in kernel 2.6.15 I thought I would give the Pro version a try. It was SLOW. Well version 2.6 claimed to be faster. I gave it a try. I have an install of Mepis 3.3.1-1 with Win4Lin98 and an install of Mepis 3.4 with Win4Lin Pro 2.6 with Win 2000 on the same machine so I ran some identical searches in BibleWorks and in Libronix Theological Journals Library. I will list the search, 98 version results, Pro version results.

Journals Library for YHWH all resources: 2 min 32 sec; 2 min. 28 sec.
    Journals Library for YHWH Bib Sac only: 38 sec.; 29 sec.
    Journals Library for "Zane Hodges" Bib Sac only: 1 min. 40 sec.; 36 sec.
    BibleWorks NKJ for the: 5.38 sec.; 3.4 sec.
    BibleWorks NKJ for "the Lord": 1.1 sec; 1.06 sec.
    BibleWorks ASE Granville Sharps: 6.76 sec; 10.22 sec. (no, I did not reverse these)

I cannot compare them to a native install under either Windows operating system, because I do not have a Windows install. However, when I switched from Windows I felt (very subjective) that BW ran better in Win4Lin98 than it had run on my native install. Anyway, for those interested, it looks like Win4Lin Pro has in fact greatly improved. I wonder why the big difference in the ASE search.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default BibleWorks 7 on Linux

Gang, here are some instructions on how to get bw7 to run on wine: bibledit.sourceforge.net. It didn't install on cxoffice 5.

I've just installed BW 7.0 on the eval version of crossover office 5.0, but I can't tell a difference between running it under cx from under wine. Seems to run at about the same speed, and it has the same problem drawing the toolbar. Also I have a continuing problem with how it draws the fonts - when I scroll down a passage, the text displays properly. When I scroll up something funky happens and the text I scroll into is unreadable unless I do something that forces a redraw, such as double click a word or some such. This issue occured for me under wine with bw 6 and is the same with bw 7. The issue continues to happen under cx 5.

I did a few simple things to install under cx 5 and I'm not sure which step made the difference. Like others, I kept getting an error (-2147024877) when installing under cx5, so I tried a few things. First, I created an alternate bottle. A new bottle can be created during software installation, but I created the bottle beforehand. I set it to use Win 98. When I installed Bibleworks I told it not to create a desktop icon (that shouldn't cause any problem at all, but who knows...) and... that's about it. I think those were the steps I took. And again, I can't really tell a difference between cx office and a generic wine install.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

Linux Users, are you aware of www.tuxmagazine.com?

No response necessary, probably preaching to the choir, but thought I'd share the resource.

Ingo

Default Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Installed BW7 on Ubuntu Linux 5.10 (Linux 2.6 core) with Crossover Office (Demo).
    Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 800MHZ,512MB RAM
    X-Windows = Gnome 2.12
    So far no show-stopping issues including instructional videos. All seems to work as if on native WIndows.
    DECOM95, IE6, Macromedia Flash/shockwave players installed

No extensive testing at this point.
    Exit application = error and wants you to choose some shutdown options.
    I will need to investigate further.
    Last edited by ubuntu_user; 04-24-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by basfrank
    Hi forum,
    I use Ubuntu Linux 5.10.
    Is there anyone here that uses bw with ubuntu, too?
    Bastian
    Yes... Installed BW7 on Ubuntu Linux 5.10 (Linux 2.6 core) with Crossover Office (Demo).
    Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 800MHZ,512MB RAM
    X-Windows = Gnome 2.12
    So far no show-stopping issues including instructional videos. All seems to work as if on native WIndows.
    DECOM95, IE6, Macromedia Flash/shockwave players installed

No extensive testing at this point.
    Exit application = error and wants you to choose some shutdown options.
    I will need to investigate further.

Default system font...

Gang, is anyone else's system font ugly as sin using wine? I know there's a fix for it, but I can't find the howto anymore...

Anyone?

Default Try Crossover Office Demo

Maybe Crossover Office would work for you. Fonts are the major issue from all I have read with BW on Linux