For the wait...Originally Posted by Columcille
Right now I'm running Kubuntu Breezy and wine 0.9.8.
KDE version is 3.5.0
Here's what I did:
I installed wine.
I installed winetools (do a google search, it's easy to find). And I used that to installed dcom98 and IE (and then promptly buried IE so I didn't have to look at the evil thing).
Then I installed BW.
Before opening up BW I ran 'winecfg' and added the bw700.exe executable to the main tab, telling it to run as windows XP (win2000 works just as well).
While unicode in the editor is hopelessly broken, exporting unicode from the browse window (or whatever it's called now) works pretty good with a variety of unicode fonts (I've tried silGalatia, SBLHebrew, Silver Humana, Code2000, and Ezra Sil so far). This is how I primarily use BW7 (I left 6 installed in case I want to use the editor).
The other thing is this - vmware has released a free "server version" of vmware. I installed XP into a virtual machine and have BW in there. This is less attractive to me (as I can't stand XP), but everything works as it would on a native machine. I did have to go with the post-script fonts, though - because the video driver vmware uses gives that old bug with clear-type and the accents in hebrew/greek.
Still WE NEED A NATIVE LINUX VERSION.