Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default Not RH9

Quote Originally Posted by Boris T
    thanks for the details everyone, I will keep them in mind for the future. It appears my laptop got a bug BEHIND the campus firewall I want to install RH9 but time is the issue for me. It's hard enough to study for class and then add in a new OS and all the setup that goes with it.

Travis
    Travis,
    If you want to use a RH system, install the latest Fedora Core rather than RH 9; you'll get better community support and newer packages...

Quote Originally Posted by wezlo
    Travis,
    If you want to use a RH system, install the latest Fedora Core rather than RH 9; you'll get better community support and newer packages...
    Thanks Wezlo....

I have a full install of RH9 (that is why I mentioned it) and hoping to jump into the world of Linux but classes are tough right now..... probably will have to wait.

Am I correct that the latest Fedora could be considered RH10? Where is the best place to get the Fedora core?

Like I said, this Linux stuff is new. After last week I am getting pretty good at troubleshooting Windoze products but that wastes valuable time that should be devoted to systematic theology and exegesis.

Travis

Default Heh...

Well, I wouldn't go with Fedora at all, but if you want to use that that's cool (and it's a very decent distro, to be honest). I'd install Umbuntu, and then use apt-get to install kde...

I'd install Umbuntu, and then use apt-get to install kde...
    If you are going to install KDE why not go with Mepis out of the box?
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default Simple..

Quote Originally Posted by united_by_truth
    If you are going to install KDE why not go with Mepis out of the box?
    I'm actually using Mepis right now, and it's great; but Umbuntu is more "stock" so you can use apt-get upgrade w/o breaking the system. Mepis is getting further and further away from Unstable, and that sometimes causes problems; particularly with kernels.
    I'm going to try out Umbuntu again, and see how that works. The great thing about a debian-based distro is how easy it is to replicate it...

Thanks for the answer. This is probably not the place to ask, but do you know if the kernel in Ubuntu is patched for Win4Lin?
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

do you know if the kernel in Ubuntu is patched for Win4Lin?
    From looking at Ubuntu forums I think I answered my own question: No, not out of the box. But there are ways to patch the kernel if one is comfortable with doing it.

Wezlo,

Thanks for your help. The Greek and Hebrew fonts now appear OK in my word processor. I discovered that the fonts in three word processors supplied by SuSE (OpenOffice.org Writer, KWord, and AbiWord) all have the same fonts. They are TrueType fonts (*.ttf) and in usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype directory. There are several copies of the BibleWorks fonts. They are also TrueType fonts and are in the following directories:
    /opt/cxoffice/support/dotwine/fake_windows/Program Files/BibleWorks 6
    /opt/cxoffice/support/dotwine/fake_windows/windows/fonts
    /home/david/.cxoffice/dotwine/fake_windows/Program Files/BibleWorks 6 and
    /home/david/.cxoffice/dotwine/fake_windows/windows/fonts.

I don't know if this was the best solution or not, but I just copied the *.ttf files in the BibleWorks directory into the /usr/X11... directory. Everything works fine now. The Hebrew is even right justified!

With regard to my previous post about persistence of the preferences, that was solved by enabling the "Save network file paths in .ini files" in the Shutdown Options when running as root, putting the *.ini files in the trash and restarting BibleWorks. When I tried enabling that option when running as a regular user, I was unable to restart BibleWorks as any user. This was discussed in Section 6.5 Configuring BibleWorks for Use on a Network of BibleWorks 6 Users Manual. It also discussed coping all *.dll files to each users computer (directory), but this was already done by either Codeweavers, or BibleWorks when I first ran it. It also talks about creating a short cut to the user's computer. I could not make heads or tails from what the book said, but I had instructed BibleWorks/Codeweavers to put an icon on the desktop. This was put on the root's desktop and I just copied it onto each user's desktop by dragging it. No problems.

Currently BibleWorks is not seeing any of my *.chm, *.hhc and *.hhk files. For example, when I try to open Matthew Henry's Commentary I get "The resource file
    c:\program files\BibleWorks 6\databases\mhenry.chm is not currently installed. It can be installed by inserting your BibleWorks CD #1 and following the instructions for modifying you installation". The file is in directory
    /opt/cxofffice/support/dotwine/fake_windows/program files/BibleWorks/databases/mhenry.chm and /home/david/.cxofffice/dotwine/fake_windows/program files/BibleWorks/databases/mhenry.chm.

Also, when I try to open the Timeline, I get "Cannot Open/Create File : c\program files\BibleWorks 6\timeline\creation.erc" and ... PSTFLOOD.erc, ... WILDRNSS.erc, ... PROMLAND.erc, etc. although the files exist as:
    /opt/cxofffice/support/dotwine/fake_windows/program files/BibleWorks/timeline/creation.erc and
    /home/david/.cxofffice/dotwine/fake_windows/program files/BibleWorks/timeline/creation.erc.
    For now I am assuming this is because of an incomplete installation of BibleWorks. I downloaded DCOM98.exe and IE at the library and copied them onto my computer and tried to install them via Codeweavers. As I recall DCOM98 installed OK, but did not seem to effect the way BibleWorks installed (compared to just DCOM95 alone). When I tried to install IE via Codeweavers, it tried to check for updates, but since I have not figured out how to get my browser to talk to the internet, it was not able to successfully check for updates. I am hoping that once I get connected to the internet, IE can successfully check for updates and that will allow BibleWorks to install fully and the above two problems will be fixed. Thanks again for all your help. United by Truth, thanks for taking the time to post your response above as well. Blessings.

David C.

Question linux and stuff

Here I go again:
    On various forums I read about people using Linux and other non-Windows products to access programs such as BibleWorks. It always seems like you folk have to go through hoops to achieve this.

What is better about doing it this way over Windows, in which it is all there for you in the first place?

Hope you don't mind my question.

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo
    What is better about doing it this way over Windows, in which it is all there for you in the first place?
    Depends on the person. Some run linux for purely philosophical reasons (freedom), others run it because they are sick of viruses and spyware that gets on their machine no matter what they do, still more want something that is much more stable than any windows version that's ever been put out, and even more just want to have a better set of tools at their disposal than in Windows. Oh, and the community behind open source projects has a great deal to teach the Church about what a community is.
    All of the above are true for me; and with cxoffice and BW, I've had no "hoops" to jump through. BW runs well, and in KDE I am much more productive than I ever was in windows. I don't worry about being nailed by the latest IE flaw; and my system doesn't crash frequently. Besides that, the community aspect of open-source is very appealing to me. I talk with the actual developers of some of the software that I use, making suggestions, reporting bugs, asking questions; and they respond. In the Windows world the only product that I've encountered with that is BW.
    In the end, it's freedom that really wins my heart.