Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default Hi here too Eric...

Quote Originally Posted by ericding
    Hey all,

I've got a reproducible crash scenario with BW6 and multiple versions of Codeweavers Office 3.x, and am wondering if others can also reproduce this crash. I've tried it on Gentoo Linux, Fedora Core 2, and Mandrake 10.1 with similar results.

Essentially, I find that if I'm in browse mode (i.e., looking at whole passages in a single version), then it's reasonably stable. Once I switch to multiple-version mode, though, even if I only have a single version displayed, it eventually crashes randomly while I'm navigating around. For example, here's a reliable repro case:
    1. Start up BW6; it's displaying Gen. 1 in browse mode in the KJV. Word tips and navigation seem to behave without issues.
    2. Now I go to Gen. 1:1 again, and switch to multiple-version mode. Again, word tips seem to work fine.
    3. Now I click on the down arrow to move to Gen. 1:2, and float back over the verse; next thing I know, BW6 has crashed (sometimes before a word tip shows up, sometimes after).

This crash even happens without word tips turned on.

Eric, I cannot reproduce this crash. On the codeweavers forum I guess we figured out that the only difference between our install attempts was that you copyied another file into fake_windows that I didn't copy... I'm running fine...

Default FedoraCore3 and BW 6 fonts

BW installed an works fairly well under FedoraCore3; I am having trouble with the Greek and Hebrew fonts not displaying correctly. Any thoughts

-tim

Default Fonts

Do you have them installed? Do they show up in any other programs? I'm not sure if fedora core used fontconfig, but I have to assume it does (it's a modern distro, after all). Try this.
    Create a directory, if it doesn't exist, called .fonts (you must have the period installed). Copy all the BW fonts that you want to use to this directory and restart your X server (an ugly way is "control-alt-backspace"). The fonts should be available to your desktop session then; see if BW sees them.
    What are you running BW through...

Default BW 6 - FedoraCore3

I am using XOver Office Standard. I look in my home directory; I found .font-cache-1. I will try what you have suggested.

Default BW 6 - FedoraCore3 font problems

I tried creating the .font directory; the Greek/Hebrew fonts do not appear correctly. Where does CrossOver Office install the fonts?https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...le.com%2Fgmail

Default Coping Greek font text to word processor

Hi! My Greek and Hebrew fonts are OK in the BibleWorks editor and they print OK from the editor, but when I copy them to a word processor, they are transliterated and/or become garbage. I have tried AbiWord, KWord, Kile, and OpenOffice.org Writer. I have been given a copy of MS Word (97?), but I don't want to install it if the results are not better. Can text with Greek font be copied to a word processor on a Linux only machine? If so, what word processor and how (if not just cut and paste)? Thanks.

David C.

Default BW Greek and Hebrew Fonts in Linux

I have been running Linux as my work OS for about 3 months. My distro is Mepis and I am running BW under Win4Lin. It opens as a window on the Linux desktop. I can cut and paste from BW Greek or Hebrew to OpenOffice with no display or printing problem. (PageMaker under Windows won't properly handle the BW fonts with nondeleting backspaces without some tweaking) I can also type Greek or Hebrew in OpenOffice so you shouldn't need MSWord. OpenOffice even has provision for right to left text. From OO help:
    Languages Using Complex Text Layout
    Currently, OpenOffice.org supports Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, and Arabic as CTL languages.

If you select the text flow from right to left, you will automatically type text formatted in Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, or Arabic from right to left, while embedded Western text still runs from left to right. The cursor responds to the arrow keys in that Right Arrow moves it "to the text end" and Left Arrow "to the text start".

You can change the text writing direction directly be pressing one of the following keys:

• Ctrl+Shift+D or Ctrl+Right Shift Key - switch to right-to-left text entryCtrl+Shift+A or Ctrl+Left Shift Key - switch to left-to-right text entry

• Complex Text Layout (CTL)

Languages with complex text layout may have some or all of the following features:

• The language is written with characters or glyphs that are composed of several parts
    • The text direction is from right to left.
    Currently, OpenOffice.org supports Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, and Arabic as CTL languages.

Enable CTL support using Tools - Options - Language Settings - Languages.

Languages Using Complex Text Layout

Mepis has a font installer, which is really just a GUI for copying to the font folder I would suppose. I just dragged BW fonts from the Windows font folder that I use for Win4Lin and they show up fine.

One problem is that the protion Gen. 1:1-20 that I copied into OO not only ran from right to left, but from bottom to top -- 1:20 was on the top line. It also works that way when typing. I am sure it is a setting, but I don't have time to mess with it now.

BTW, using Win4Lin ($65 at Newegg) and an old Win98 license allows me to use PageMaker and the Theological Journal Library which uses the Logos reader while running Linux. Windows under Linux is so much better than native Windows. Last week I had to run under Windows for a couple of days for the first time in a couple of months. Wow! I had forgotten how good Linux is. It just never crashes or locks up. And if I can plug a distro without starting a war, Mepis was great for me. I would have given up on Linux without it.

Quote Originally Posted by david c
    Hi! My Greek and Hebrew fonts are OK in the BibleWorks editor and they print OK from the editor, but when I copy them to a word processor, they are transliterated and/or become garbage. I have tried AbiWord, KWord, Kile, and OpenOffice.org Writer. I have been given a copy of MS Word (97?), but I don't want to install it if the results are not better. Can text with Greek font be copied to a word processor on a Linux only machine? If so, what word processor and how (if not just cut and paste)? Thanks.

David C.
    Try using the post-script font's under linux, instead of the true-type ones; I had this problem previously and that fixed it for me. Also, if you download the latest ttf and drop them in .fonts they should work....

Default cxoffice fonts..

Quote Originally Posted by twilhite
    I tried creating the .font directory; the Greek/Hebrew fonts do not appear correctly. Where does CrossOver Office install the fonts?https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...le.com%2Fgmail
    cxoffice will install the fonts in ~/.cxoffice dotwine/fake_windows/WINDOWS/FONTS (I think that's all the layers, it's buried pretty deep...
    Are the fonts available in any other programs, like Kword or OOo?

Default I hate windows....

thanks for the details everyone, I will keep them in mind for the future. It appears my laptop got a bug BEHIND the campus firewall I want to install RH9 but time is the issue for me. It's hard enough to study for class and then add in a new OS and all the setup that goes with it.

Travis