Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: BW and Linux

Unhappy Wine 1.6

A month ago, I decided to try Wine again with BibleWorks 9. Much to my surprise, it worked very, very well! The only problem I noticed was a bit of distortion in some of the fonts when scrolling. Then a couple days ago, my version of Wine was upgraded to 1.6r3. Now when I run BibleWorks 9, I get error messages saying that some fonts need to be reinstalled and to restart Windows. The program won't load and run at all. I'm going to try reinstalling BibleWorks and maybe regressing to an earlier Wine release. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I have a few old machines and I will be installing ubuntu on them, I have never messed with ubuntu (at least not seriously) how have you guys managed to get BBW operational? Are the bugs that are mentioned in some of this thread still present or have some of them been worked out. I read through some of this thread but certainly not all of it, it is my hope that this will make more sense when I finally install. Thanks in advance.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Installed ubuntu, updated wine to 1.71, installed BW9 and I see no noticable issues. I have only had it installed for about an hour, so only time will tell, but very positive so far.
    Chris Sansom
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Since Crossover 12.5.0 is based on Wine 1.6, the failure noted already means that BibleWorks 9 will not run on Crossover 12.5.0. The solution so far has been to downgrade Crossover to 12.2.2. However, if Wine 1.7 is working, then that is something I can try.

since I am still kind of a new with ubuntu all I can say is that I installed BW9 using wine 1.7.1 and thus far it is working well, it does not seem to have the font issues I was reading from earlier post, and I certainly haven't used all the tools in BW, but what I have used has worked rather well.
    Chris Sansom
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Default Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    A month ago, I decided to try Wine again with BibleWorks 9. Much to my surprise, it worked very, very well! The only problem I noticed was a bit of distortion in some of the fonts when scrolling. Then a couple days ago, my version of Wine was upgraded to 1.6r3. Now when I run BibleWorks 9, I get error messages saying that some fonts need to be reinstalled and to restart Windows. The program won't load and run at all. I'm going to try reinstalling BibleWorks and maybe regressing to an earlier Wine release. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    I'm having the same problem you are regarding the error about needing to reinstall fonts and reboot. I have wine 1.7.2. Did you (or anyone else) reach any resolution. I have BW9 fully installed, but can't use it at all due to this problem.

Blessings,

Adam