Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

@graham. Actually I didn't. I have BW 7, and was told that the .chm files did not crash in 8, but that is apparently not true.

I am working on solving this problem, but have not received any comments on the thread I opened to that effect: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...ighlight=linux

You can, however, view the .chm files using a native .chm viewer in Linux. Try gnochm. Just browse to your Bibleworks database directory and open the .chm file in Linux (I've linked all these files to a separate folder for easy access).

Anybody solve this issue?

Default Greek & Hebrew Fonts in a Chm File Viewer

tkeene, when you view .chm files in a viewer, do the Greek and Hebrew fonts display correctly? If so, how did you get that to happen? I have the fonts installed in my Linux install.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Fonts work for me. If you're having problems copy-paste the bw fonts into you Windows fonts directory under wine, and do the same in Linux (usually the .fonts directory in your home folder).

Does that get everything rolling?

Default chm viewer fonts working

Apparently the problem was that I had not installed all the BW fonts, and therefore the needed ones, in my Linux install. I just went back and put them all in and presto... Tischendorf looks good!

Thanks.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by tkeene View Post
    @graham. Actually I didn't. I have BW 7, and was told that the .chm files did not crash in 8, but that is apparently not true.

I am working on solving this problem, but have not received any comments on the thread I opened to that effect: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...ighlight=linux

You can, however, view the .chm files using a native .chm viewer in Linux. Try gnochm. Just browse to your Bibleworks database directory and open the .chm file in Linux (I've linked all these files to a separate folder for easy access).

Anybody solve this issue?
    Yeah, I've been using GnoCHM. It's ok, but definitely not a 1:1 replacement. For starters, it's search functions are quite limited, and you can't follow any of the hyperlinks through to BW.

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is with Wine. Why can you open and use the chm files, but when you try and close the window, that's when it crashes? Maybe we'll find out someday (and maybe someday it won't have to redraw the whole window when you change references...)

I have a question that maybe someone in this post has come across. I am dual booting my laptop because my work VPN software does not work in any new kernel of linux and won't connect the parent linux if windows is in a VM. So, needless to say, I need windows on it. However, I do not want a full windows install, so I have been nLite-ing to get it down to the bare minimum. My problem is that I am taking away some functionality that Bibleworks needs. When I do a full XP install, Bibleworks works fine. When I take out some un-needed functionality from XP (like drivers, all help files, etc), Bibleworks crashes on start-up. My question is to those who have gotten it to work in a VM or linux, do you have any suggestions as to what I should keep in XP that Bibleworks absolutely needs to function? I am already including English, Hebrew, and Greek language and keyboard support (but I do not include any others). I do not want to do this by trial and error, slowing taking away one functionality at a time until BibleWorks stops, since it takes a few hours to redo my XP install. But I don't want a full XP install (1.5gigs) when all I should need is about 400 megs. And since I am already going to have windows on my laptop, I figure I might as well put Bible works on the Windows side. But I guess if it means either a full windows install or not, I may just put it on the linux side in Wine.

Thanks
    paul

Default English Keyboard Layout

When I start BW 8 under Ubuntu 9 it starts up with Greek on everything. I tried to change the keyboard to English, but it gives me an error saying that the English keyboard is not available and I should go to the control panel and change it. How do I do that in wine?
    Dr. Kevin Purcell I am a BW9 User!
    Columnist for Christian Computing Magazine
    See my personal blog at www.KevinPurcell.org
    Follow me on Twitter @kapurcell

Default Linux scrolling/drawing problem

I made a move to Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) on a new laptop I got in January and I installed BW8 (have all the latest patches) on that under wine. A lot of things work well but there is one problem that seems to bug me the most. When I scroll the browse backward, the lines get half-overdrawn the the line before, so I only get the bottom half of the lines. See the screen shot. I would guess that this is not a problem on Windows. To be clear, I am talking about scrolling a line at a time, not a page. See where the mouse cursor points to. Have any other Linux/Wine users observed this problem? I hope that the inactivity of this thread does not mean there are no more Linux users.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Switched to Mac with Parallells

I switched to running Bw7 under Parallels on the Mac. It's still a work-around since the BW engineers refuse to code for the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_user View Post
    I switched to running Bw7 under Parallels on the Mac. It's still a work-around since the BW engineers refuse to code for the Mac.
    No great offense here, but this comment isn't exactly helpful. They might as well say you're at fault since you refuse to use Windows. Based on how other Bible Windows software has fared in trying to get their products into Mac software, I've noticed a few things. 1. the process is very slow and costly. 2. the results are often less than perfect. Bottom line, if you *must* have Mac-based software (and have the extra dough), give Accordance a shot. I don't see BibleWorks taking over the Mac market any time soon.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!