Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I'm a bit dismayed to see the constant references to "Microsoft" as "Micro$oft" or "M$" with the implication that there is something wrong with a company business model of paying for software. BibleWorks is not a free application, is it? Certainly I would never refer to BibleWorks as "BibleWork$"...
    SteveO,

Thanks for your post. It is a good reminder that as believers we have a responsibility not to needlessly offend. I didn't check my previous posts, but I would not be surprised to find that I have referred to Microsoft in the manners you find offensive.

I am a theological and political conservative and as such certainly support a capitalistic business model and limited government. Microsoft raises an interesting opportunity for discussion with my five children as we consider the role of government, the current anti-business propaganda in the media ("obscene profits of big oil" to cite an example), and the Biblical principles that should inform us. Is there a limit to laissez-faire capitalism and if so what should trigger it? As an American, I believe our founders envisioned a capitalism guided by Christian principles, but as we have moved away from Biblical ethic in our corporate and personal lives things have gotten murky.

My complaints about Microsoft fall into practical, economic, and ethical categories.

1. After spending 15 (literally) hours on the phone with Dell and doing three deep formats of my hard drive and being told there was nothing wrong with my hardware and they had no idea how to make Windows work right I switched to Linux four years ago. Dell was right, because that computer is still running fine on Mepis. Linux works for me with far less hastles than Windows.

2. As a pastor I realized that I needed to be a good steward of the resources the church had and my personal income was limited. The mandatory hardware and software upgrades became economically unfeasible. (Note: BibleWorks is very considerate of this concern in their software as is demonstrated by their Unicode policy.)

3. Some of Microsoft's practices and policies to defeat the competition by influencing legislators, government officials, and business partners seem unethical at times. A previous post pointed out that numerous discussions of these things can be found on the Internet. Does Microsoft have the right to write it's licensing in a very restrictive manner? Yes. So does BibleWorks, but they allow me to buy one copy and install on more than one computer if certain conditions are met. When M$ writes it's licenses that way they have every right. And I have every right to complain. I also have every right to complain about the intimidation they try to put out. Does M$ have the right to change the format of its word processor and other applications to make them incompatible with earlier versions so that they can lock people in to upgrades? Yes, and I have a right to object and to question the ethics of such a model. What is M$'s objection to ODF, is it really technical or is it really dollars? Why did they destroy the career of the CIO of Massachusetts, was it over technical concerns or dollars? Before becoming a pastor I worked for General Motors as an electrical engineer and an electrical maintenance supervisor. If I recall correctly our profit margin was 3-4% (this was in the '70s and I have not verified this). The other night I turned on BBC radio in the middle of a panel discussion about Microsoft. Some on the panel were defending Microsoft and its practices and some were questioning it. I don't know what occasioned the discussion. But, I think I heard them say, and both sides agreed, that Microsoft's profit margin was 85%. I don't know if this is correct or not. I have not tried to verify it. The point was made that overhead for software was pretty low compared to automobiles. Anyway, does Microsoft have a right to an 85% profit margin? Yes, but I have a right to complain, to questions the ethics, and to encourage people to consider other options.

The next few years, if the Lord tarries, will be interesting ones legally and commercially for the software industry. We shall see what is upheld in court and what is not and what the public will choose.

Perhaps we can all contribute to a better use of our resources.

Rob
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default Design

In the training videos that come with bible works i'm able to see a different design than that i have. I have bible works 7, do you know how can i have the same design that i see in the training videos?

The main complaint about Microsoft I have centers, as many may have previously described, around "predatory" business practices. These are illegal in the US, and unethical. These include maliciously changing code to cause competitor's software to not function properly (WordPerfect as described in the Thomas Penfield Jackson antitrust case vs Microsoft), threatening through intimidation and pricing if customers (resellers) offer other alternatives (also examine evidence presented), and an attitude expressed by both Bill Gates and Steven Ballmer to "destroy" other companies (as evidenced by emails, memos, etc-those that weren't "accidentally" destroyed by the Microsoft legal department during the Jackson case). And their position with Vista as evidenced both domestically and abroad has not changed (see ongoing EU litigation).

The responsibility to be "our brother's keeper" is obviously poorly understood by Microsoft, not to mention the ethical and legal ramifications of being a "protected" monopoly (since this is effectively what they are giving the governments behavior towards them).

I do not hate Microsoft or their employees. I hate their business model and practices. Their overreliance on bully techniques as opposed to quality/performance have materially robbed the US economy of dozens of years of innovation. Behold what Apple has done with the IPod, IPhone, etc just in the last few years to innovate what customers want. This is where the computer industry should be. Microsoft is quickly becoming a relec of the past, and without legal intervention (forcing competitors to stop) I believe will be ultimately replaced by the Open Source model.
    Last edited by PresentOmni; 10-24-2008 at 08:00 AM.

I can not speak for other folks who follow this thread, but I would prefer that we back off future complaints about Microsoft. I do not claim to be a fan, but since the most common objections about the company or its products receive plenty of posts on other sites, in my opinion, they do not need to be repeated here. SteveO gave a personal e-mail address for anyone with constructive criticism. I do not know if BibleWorks ever shuts down a thread, but I find this one useful and would like to keep it active, so please keep comments positive. ;-) Thanks and Mucho Blessings.

David C.

Default BW7 running on Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64-bit with Wine 1.0.1

BW7 will run on Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64-bit with Wine 1.0.1

1. Install wine in your usual manner, via Synaptic or apt-get . E.g., #sudo apt-get install wine
    2. Copy the installation discs to a common folder under /home/(name)/bw7 . (The 'autorun' files are not required.)
    3. Launch setup.exe using wine.

If the text in wine dialogues is smeared, then cancel the installation; open /home/(name)/.wine/user.reg; paste in:
    [Software\\Wine\\X11 Driver] 1210627404
    "Desktop"="800x600"
    "DXGrab"="Y"
    "Managed"="Y"
    Save
    Return to 3) above.

You can adjust wine display and sound by running #wine winecfg in a terminal, not as root or as super user, while wine is not in use.

Caveats:

• The BW under wine installer does not recognise that CD-ROM discs have been swapped, hence step 2) above.
    • BW under wine does not connect with the Internet, so updates cannot happen.

Galen

Galen,
    I did not encounter the problems you mention - i was using a earlier version of wine though, and 32 bit. For updating, please see http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2952

One does not need to manually install patches/updates if winetricks is used. Install the "gecko" and "fakeie6" options (the former allowing wine to access the internet and the later to fake BW into thinking you have IE installed). And all should be well. The only issue I have using both BW7 and 8 is that the buttonbar doesn't show up (known issue) and that scrolling up in the browse window causes font drawing issues (which are fixed by simply selecting text in the window).

Default Bibleworks 8 runs in Linux

I posted a guide awhile back describing the steps I used to get Bibleworks 7 running in Linux here. That guide also works for Bibleworks 8, which even shows some improvement over 7.

I would be interested in knowing what works better in 8 than 7 under Wine.

Oh this is just great, winetricks messed up my BW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have no Editor now. Prolly because some richtext control I installed with it. I also see nothing for Bible Version notes. Greeeeeeeeeeat.

Quote Originally Posted by tkeene View Post
    I posted a guide awhile back describing the steps I used to get Bibleworks 7 running in Linux here. That guide also works for Bibleworks 8, which even shows some improvement over 7.

I would be interested in knowing what works better in 8 than 7 under Wine.
    I would love to know how you got the chm files not to crash BW8. I've had the same problem for both 7 and 8.