Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default Reveal codes, market share etc.

Sorry to be off topic . . . but Just a quick reply. Yes, reveal codes is a wonderful tool! It also reveals a very important advantage of WordPerfect. It has a structure that allows for reveal codes. Neither Word nor OOO does. They use a paragraph formatting where the formatting codes are attached to the paragraph markers. (Word does and I assume ooo does because it seems to format the same way) WordPerfect has a much simpler and more flexible design which works more like html code.

Any way, I don't know the recent market share for WP, but I have been hearing these concerns for years. And yes, it is a concern, but to keep it in perspective: first, as much as I love it, its a product. If it dies, I use something else. I already use ooo most of the time (also abiword and textmaker etc.) because they run native on Linux and I have given up any hope that WP will bring back their Linux version.

Second, The Mac has had a tremendous market share growth over the last two years, they have doubled their market share which is now up to about 7% That is back to where it was in the early 90's. I wouldn't count WP out yet!

Frank

Default BibleWorks 7 & Wine & Unlocking Modules

OK, I took the plunge and tried wine 0.9.56.

PageMaker, which would not work in an earlier version of wine seems OK so far except I cannot paste from the clipboard.

I got BW7 installed and It seems OK the little I have played with it (no button bar, editor, or user notes). However I am having trouble with unlocked modules BDAG & HALOT. I have run the module disk set up and they appear to unlock and install, but they are not accessible when I restart BibleWorks. I have run unlock from the File menu as well. I have run repair and unlock again.

Any thoughts? Is anyone successful unlocking these under wine?
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default BW 7 and Wine

BW 6 worked fine in wine for me and when I first installed 7 it appeared to be working the same way. I do not have any modules to unlock, so I can't help there, but I am having more problems. The problems I have had seem to be due to the fact that 7 is much more internet aware and enabled. Most applications access the internet fine in wine, but for some reason, even though I have IE 6 installed, BW 7 will not see it and so I cannot do updates and other misc. problems. I will probably keep looking for an answer, but I don't have much time right now. In the meantime, I will get it installed in Virtualbox, which is probably the best solution, except that it requires Windoze!

Frank

Default wine_0.9.58-1

I have the same problem not being able to access the internet for updates. Since I couldn't unlock my HALOT & BDAG I quit messing with it. However, I just installed wine_0.9.58-1. I still can't update from the web or unlock HALOT or BDAG, BUT since this version of wine is based on XP I can now copy Hebrew Unicode text and paste in OpenOffice!!! This is a major plus for me and I will keep my wine version of BW just for this. I don't have a license for Win XP, so all I could export as Unicode was Greek under my Win 2000 license.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Hi all
    I just wanted to say that I have successfully installed BW7 on Ubuntu 7.10
    I used crossover office pro 6.2 instead of wine
    You also have to install DCOM98 before you install BW7
    I would love to help others with this but keep in mind that I'm not really all that linux savvy and got pretty lucky with this install

71CH,

Do you have everything working? Editor, button bar, user notes, synopsis window, help, etc.? I do have updating from the web working, but I am having problems with some downloaded databases, such as K&D, showing not to be unlocked.

Red face Linux newbie

I bought a new Dell laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed as the only OS. I've tried to get BW7 running several ways. Under Wine, it installed OK, but is very buggy and unstable. I downloaded Codeweavers Crossover and tried again. It's up and running, but with the same bugs that others here have reported: The button bar is blank, the update feature can't find Explorer, and on exiting, it wants to save an un-named note file that I never opened.

I've also downloaded VMware Server and Player versions. Server is up and running, but my copy of Windoze XP won't install. Server keeps reporting that it can't find an OS on the install disc. I can't figure out how to install VMware Player, although I successfully downloaded all the files. As a last resort, I might try dual-booting, but I don't know how to do that from a Linux-only machine.

71CH, how did you install DCOM98 into Crossover, and how did you know that you needed it? Does BW7 run with full functionality?

I'm a Linux newbie. Can any of you experiencied users point me toward documentation for tweaking Wine and Crossover, or installing and using a VM, or dual-booting?

Default Install disk?

I sounds like you're using a restore disk to do the XP install and VM ware is telling you that there is no install disk in the drive. If you are trying to do this install with a copy of XP that you're no longer using on another machine, google "making an install disk from the i386 directory" and you'll find howto's on making an actual Windows XP install disk.

Restore disks are evil.

Hugh, I am a user, not a techie and I know things can be real confusing and frustrating at first. Wezlo knows his stuff, but I might also suggest using VirtualBox. I used VMware Server and Player for over a year and was only going to "play" with VirtualBox. After a couple of days I never went back. It is easier to set up and create than VMware. I use Mepis, not Ubuntu, so some things may differ. VB is in the repositories.

Also I have BW 7 installed in Wine 0.9.59-1_i386.deb. This version seemed to help some things. I also ran WineTricks (http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks) to install DCOM98. See here for explanation http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks.
    It seems like I did something else, but I don't remember... (note to self: write everything down). Anyway I use BW in Wine for quick reference and for exporting Unicode Greek and Hebrew by cut and paste. I use BW in VirtualBox for my study sessions.

EDIT: Ah, yes, I installed fakeie6 with winetricks. I can now connect to the net and see updates and download then, but I am not sure BW is installing them. I think I just copied the latest stuff into my wine install from my VB install.
    Last edited by united_by_truth; 04-16-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Lightbulb Wine, Crossover, and Virtual Machines

If at first you don't succeed......

Previously, I got VMware Server up and running, but it wouldn't recognize my Windoze XP install disc. Yesterday I tried again and XP installed just fine. Then I decided to try VirtualBox instead. Windoze installed fine, but then it wouldn't install BW7. This morning I tried again and BW installed and ran without a hitch! I now have two installs of BW7 on my Ubuntu 7.10 machine. A crippled version runs under Crossover, with no button bar and no update capability, but otherwise functional. A fully capable version is running under VirtualBox. I also reinstalled the latest version of Wine and ran Winetricks with the dcom98 and fakeie6 patches, but I can't install BW because Crossover tries to hijack the install. Maybe I'll get rid of Crossover and try again.

BW is the only Windoze program I can't live without, so I really wish they could make it fully functional under Wine or Crossover or better yet port it to Linux. I first played with Linux a dozen years ago, but the early distros were too hard to use. The latest stuff is mature enough that there's no reason to endure the Redmond Refuse any longer.... except for a few specialized programs like BW!