Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default BW6 and Ubuntu Edgy

Hi, I moved to Ubuntu Dapper last summer, and have since upgraded to Edgy. I've been using Bible Works 6 for over a year now, and would really like to use it in Ubuntu... however, the installation gets to 100% under Wine, when it says "Setting up Bible Works as an automated server" and then fails with some kind of exception (an 8-byte Hex number).

I've searched the forums, and it's great to see that BW7 works for people in Ubuntu, but I can't afford to upgrade. Has anyone come across this problem before, is there any way around it? It's a shame the whole installation process works, but fails at the very end (and before you ask, no, I can't find the executable under ~/.wine/c/Program Files/BibleWorks to test it anyway).

If anyone can help I'll be very grateful!

btw... I've cross posted this from another thread - ONLY because I thought it would make more sense to add to this thread. Please delete the other thread and forgive me - I don't usually do this on forums!

Quote Originally Posted by tcblack View Post
    Just finished installing Gentoo on my laptop. (Yay it works great! except for the sound).
    Using Wine 0.9.30 I've installed and run Bibleworks 7 including all updates and so forth.
    At the moment I've only got one problem:
    On loading and exiting I get a dialog that says

Yes I can keep clicking No and just go on, but there has to be a way to stop that. Any hints?
    I'm testing BW7 on CxOffice 6; my system runs Gentoo. Thanks to this thread I learned that I needed to install IE6 first, which permitted me to install BW7.

I'm getting the shutdown error you mention above. If you learn of a fix, please let me know.

Perhaps more annoying for me is the fact that I can't seem to complete an update after installation. All seems to go fine until reboot, when there's an error that keeps the installation from completing. The error message says to try the update again, which I've now done three times, to no avail.

Any ideas, anyone? Otherwise, I'm happy to get BW installed and launching, despite these glitches.

Thanks.

Default Unicode questions

I have recently decided to explore unicode (yes, I am behind the times). In KDE I can select the Greek keyboard and even select polytonic as a kb variant. I have installed Cardo and Gentium unicode fonts, however I am not able to type accents, breathings, subscript iotas. It seems in Windows one has to install a special kb. Any guidance for unicode Greek and Hebrew in Linux? I looked at Decker's old page and he mentioned im-classicalgreek from sourceforge that uses GTK2. My distro is KDE based and does not install GTK2. Thanks in advance.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default Ubuntu and Viritualbox

I am using Ubuntu 7.10, well actually I am using Kubuntu, I don't like the gnome interface. With the release of 7.10, Viritualbox was made available. I could never get VMServer to work. Virtualbox works, I have XP running and was able to load and run WordPerfect 12.

When i tried to install BW7 on it, it will not accept the second install disk. I am really doing this to learn about Linux and viritualization. I don't understand it well enough to get a handle on why the first disk will work but the install program cannot find the second disk. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, I am running this on a PIII with 384 mgs of ram.
    Randy Davis, Pastor
    Trinity Baptist Church

www.trinitybaptistchurch.us

www.kudzuvine.org

Lightbulb Sumarizing ...

I'm a Unix system admin (Solaris, AIX, HPUX, a little Linux - CentOS, RedHat, and now Ubuntu). I will be implementing at least one of the solutions mentioned in this thread as I am also moving from MS to Ubuntu 7.10. Just ordered a PC built on Ubuntu 7.04 from Dell.

I see here four options for getting BW7 working on my new PC:
    A) Wine - works but some issues.
    B) VMWare (Server / Player) - works but slower.
    C) Cross-Over Office - works but not officially supported by vendor.
    D) Virtualbox - can't get past disk 1 .

So, here are my questions as I make this jump.
    1) Is my summary correct? Did I leave any working options out?
    2) Is there a consensus of what really FULLY works?
    3) What are the gotchas to avoid?

I'm willing to test it, document it, and post the solution , BUT I don't want to waste my precious time on something that really doesn't work . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpeloquin View Post

Wow! I see this all the time, so it must be true, but for me it is unnoticeable and I am not using fast hardware. See post #89. I have used VMware Player quite satisfactorily for quite a while now. It is easy to install in Mepis, but that should not be an issue for you. (I am a non-geek) Several on the Mepis forum rave about Virtual Box and how much better than VMware it is. I have not tried it because I am quite happy. I was surprised to see you had trouble with it. Anyway that is my experience and I doubt there is a consensus.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Cool Mac is now a one stop OS for all Windoze and Linux apps.

I'm a Unix system admin (Solaris, AIX, HPUX, a little Linux - CentOS, RedHat, and now Ubuntu). I will be implementing at least one of the solutions mentioned in this thread as I am also moving from MS to Ubuntu 7.10. Just ordered a PC built on Ubuntu 7.04 from Dell.

I'm willing to test it, document it, and post the solution , BUT I don't want to waste my precious time on something that really doesn't work . Thanks
    1) I've had the same results for A,B,C. I never used D.
    2) As far as what really works...
    a. Run on XP or Vista... of course since it is native to the OS
    b. Buy a Mac(Intel) and run Parallels... I have it and love it. BW runs faster than my Vista machine (2GB RAM AMD 3200)
    c. You can run Ubuntu on the Mac for your other apps. Don't waste money on Crossover for BW except if it's your only option on Linux. I tried it and, at best, it was acceptable but not as smooth as Native Windoze or Mac w/ Parallels.

Summary:
    Mac is now a one stop OS for all Windoze and Linux apps. Bibleworks runs faster on a Mac.
    Don't waste money on Vista or a Vista machine.
    IMHO

Default Linux and BW7

From what I have seen, wine has its limitations. I can't get VMware to work, cross-over Office works with MS Office but not well with anything else. And so far I can't get past the first disk in virtualbox. Finally I cannot see why anyone would want to go to the expense of a Mac + a legit copy of XP. Now if Mac OS was ported to widnows boxes and sold at at a reasonable price, you might havea universal OS.
    Randy Davis, Pastor
    Trinity Baptist Church

www.trinitybaptistchurch.us

www.kudzuvine.org

Wink MAC equals flexibility

Finally I cannot see why anyone would want to go to the expense of a Mac + a legit copy of XP
    This issue is not why someone would buy a Mac + XP. The issue is how to solve running BW on other OS's.
    First, it's designed for Windoze ONLY. It does not have the flexibility to run on other OS's natively. So Windoze is the first choice w/o hassels.
    Second ...IF one does not have or want to run it on Windoze... The MAC OSX with Parallels is the next choice (I have not tried Fusion).
    Third... in my experience Linux or Mac OSX (5.1) running Crossover Office did not do well.

Summary: If you like Windoze... stick with it. If you like Mac, you have the ability to run BW as good if not better than Windoze. If you like Linux... BW runs ok.

The most flexible choice is a MAC... one computer covers all bases.

Your ...
    I cannot see why anyone would want to go to the expense of a Mac + a legit copy of XP
    ... is due to what you like rather than what you know.

Default Sigh...

OK. Thanks for the input. I guess that I get to play...
    I'll report back what I find. If anyone can give particulars on the problems that they have seen with the ABCD options (e.g., I opened this, clicked this, entered this, etc.), then I'll see if I can find a solution for you in my travels.

BTW - I love the Windoze spelling .

Windoze, it's not an OS, it's a sub-strait for growing viruses.
    Hmmmm - is my Unix slant showing?