Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default NET Bible?

Hi all, the only problem I have with the updater is that I cannot get the NET Bible to install properly - does anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone used BibleWorks on Win4Lin Pro? Does the updater work, etc.? I currently use BW 5 on Win4Lin for Win 98 and it is fine, but in planning for the future I was thinking of going to Win4Lin Pro for Win 2000 and upgrading to BW 7. Any thoughts? I noticed Wexlo's problem in the previous post and just wondered.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Default Yes, go ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by united_by_truth
    Has anyone used BibleWorks on Win4Lin Pro? Does the updater work, etc.? I currently use BW 5 on Win4Lin for Win 98 and it is fine, but in planning for the future I was thinking of going to Win4Lin Pro for Win 2000 and upgrading to BW 7. Any thoughts? I noticed Wexlo's problem in the previous post and just wondered.
    EVERYTHING should work with win4lin. Here's the drawbacks going that route...

1. You have to have a windows license on hand (it looks like you have win2000, so you're fine there).
    2. It's a separate operating environment, so copy/paste between windows and linuxs apps is not as easy as when using a wine setup.
    3. I've heard that the new win4lin pro isn't anywhere near as fast as the old version that was using the linux kernel to replace dos - of course, I don't think you need a custom kernel anymore either so that's awesome.

If you go this route could you post on two things:

1. Are the fonts anti-aliased yet?
    2. What's the speed like?

OH and I fixed my netbible problem the other day. I upgraded the latest cxoffice (verdict: hold off until the next incremental release, bugs installing BW - if you want to check out the speed of the new wine, just install that and run BW through it). What has happening is the description file was gettin corrupted with some extra characters somehow, so I fixed it in kate and now it works (it was actually crashing bw!).

Default Ubuntu linux and BW6

Hi forum,
    I use Ubuntu Linux 5.10.
    Is there anyone here that uses bw with ubuntu, too?
    Bastian

Default Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by basfrank
    Hi forum,
    I use Ubuntu Linux 5.10.
    Is there anyone here that uses bw with ubuntu, too?
    Bastian
    I'm running kubuntu (breezy) and it runs fine.
    The latest cxoffice has some installer issues with BW - BUT there are tools out there right now that will all you to install IE pretty easy with "vanilla" wine - so I'm thinking that the BW installer might actually work through that now as well...

Haven't TRIED it yet, mind you - but when I reformat my old desktop for the kiddie computer I'll give it a try...

Default BibleWorks 6 on Fedora Core 4 using CrossOver Office 5

Has anyone managed to install BibleWorks on Fedora Core 4?

I tried it using CrossOver Office 5, but all letters ara garbled up on the screen.

Are there any pointers on how to do that?

Default Version 7 anyone?

Gang, bad news. BW 7 is buggy at BEST under wine for me. The button-bar doesn't draw, (I have no idea why), I have a reproducible crash in multi-version mode when I mouse over texts, the module CD doesn't like installing the files, and the editor button-bar refuses to wrap on the screen, and no keyboard layouts are showing up to choose from. It's rather depressing to see this - but that's where I'm at. I've tried installing two different ways, my plain wine install, and a new setup that I tried out to see if there were any bugs in my first setup. I'm going to try cxoffice now - but I'm not hopeful.

I want to apologize to folks who were hoping that BW7 would work as well as previous versions. I had an opportunity to beta-test and got my name just a couple of days late. I'll get some debugging info out if the wine-folks will be helpful and maybe we can get this to work. I'd like to REALLY stress that we need BW to at least go QT-based so that a native version of BW is possible to use. Until then, win4lin might be the best way to run bw7 in a linux environment.

Sigh.

Default BW7 + Linux Update

OK gang, here's the deal:

If you install BW7, run winecfg (if it's not on your system install winetools) and use that config editor to run BW7 as windows 2000 or above. If you to this the crash problems in multi-version mode and on exit cease to be a problem. I'm STILL having some troubles:

1. The main tool-bar isn't drawing (anyone got any ideas here).
    2. BW will not interface with my keyboard-maps in KDE so the editor is all but worthless for anything but english and non-unicode greek (I can't get non-unicode hebrew to go RTL - not sure what that's about).

If anyone else has ideas and experience, please let me know.

What are your versions? Which version of wine? What distro? Which version of KDE?
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

Default win4lin

Quote Originally Posted by united_by_truth
    You shoudl be fine in win4lin because it's a virtual machine so BW is actually running in windows. I'm about to test a new free edition of vmware under winXP, I'll give reports. Still, I need wine to work, it's integration into my working environment is a wonderful thing..