Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Default More problems with cxoffice :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ericding
    I'm running Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.4.25, glibc 2.3.3, and have been using Crossover Office 1.3.5 for quite some time with sucess (running Quicken 99). I was even able to get BW4.0 running without a problem, but realized that the hand-me-down copy I got was unlicensed, so I bought BW6. Well, I haven't had as much success with BW6.0 -- whether with Crossover Office 1.3.5 or 3.0.1 (demo), I'm able to install DCOM/IE without a problem, and then install BW6 without a problem.

I'm even able to start up BW6 ok... but at some point during program execution, without any discernible pattern I've yet to discover, BW/wine will crash. Before the crash, I've gotten as far as browsing verses, seeing word tips appear, etc. -- yet at some point, wine crashes, and the limited backtrace offered in the debug log is not terribly illuminating (there's a page fault on read access to 0x0 in 32-bit code). Changing the "Windows" setting for bw600.exe hasn't improved things at all.

I don't suppose anyone here has seen (or resolved) similar symptoms?
    In a 5/17/04 post (see above & following posts), Wezlo said he had BW running flawlessly under cxoffice 3.0. I have been fooling around with Linux since about July. I had BW 5 installed once, but I other problems and had to wipe that install. I have recently tried to get BW 5 to install with cxoffice versions 2.1 and 3.0.1. I have not been able to get it to install. I donít know much about Linux and I am getting frustrated. I should mention that I have been installing Mandrake 10.0.

I had really hoped to switch over to Linux, but I must get BW to work well before I can do that. I am beginning to think that is not a possibility. Does anybody have BW or BW5 running well on Linux? If so, what distribution? Interestingly, CodeWeavers implies that Mandrake and Fedora core have problems with cxoffice ( http://www.codeweavers.com/site/support/docs/crossover-standard/troubleshooting#FEDORA-CORE-2 ), but Wezlo was running Mandrake 10.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default BW and CXoffice

OK, here's the deal.
    IN CX office before you install BW, install IE (and promptly hide the evil little icon and forget you have it). This installs the dcom98.exe that you need, AND allow html help in BW to work, AND allows the link to perseus to work as well. W/O IE installed, the BW installation hangs.

Default BW6 and CX Office 3.01

Just to reply briefly with my experience:
    Mandrake 10.0
    Bibleworks 6
    cxoffice: 3.01

I have IE installed, and I think I did so before installing BW 6.

BW installs and mostly works fine (including auto-update), but I have a DEFINITE PROBLEM with the Word List manager. I can't load words into the secondary word list window. The focus always ends up on the Main Word List Window, and new words go in there, which is unfortunate, but hopefully not impossible to fix?

Mandrake 10.0 is very good, and utterly stable - I've never tried another flavour of Linux, and don't really intend to. I dual boot with Windows 98, but use Win 98 increasingly less, as the Linux OS and Software seem to improve at a fairly rapid rate.

Nick.

Default Vote at Codeweavers!

Hey all,

Please feel free as well to post your experiences, and vote for BibleWorks support, at Codeweavers' website. The more votes, the better:

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/comp...ame?app_id=155

BW6 still doesn't work consistently well on Gentoo Linux for me, but I have hopes that it will someday...

Thanks,
    Eric

Default reproducible crash scenario (BW6)

Hey all,

I've got a reproducible crash scenario with BW6 and multiple versions of Codeweavers Office 3.x, and am wondering if others can also reproduce this crash. I've tried it on Gentoo Linux, Fedora Core 2, and Mandrake 10.1 with similar results.

Essentially, I find that if I'm in browse mode (i.e., looking at whole passages in a single version), then it's reasonably stable. Once I switch to multiple-version mode, though, even if I only have a single version displayed, it eventually crashes randomly while I'm navigating around. For example, here's a reliable repro case:
    1. Start up BW6; it's displaying Gen. 1 in browse mode in the KJV. Word tips and navigation seem to behave without issues.
    2. Now I go to Gen. 1:1 again, and switch to multiple-version mode. Again, word tips seem to work fine.
    3. Now I click on the down arrow to move to Gen. 1:2, and float back over the verse; next thing I know, BW6 has crashed (sometimes before a word tip shows up, sometimes after).

This crash even happens without word tips turned on.
    Last edited by ericding; 11-13-2004 at 09:14 AM.

Default multi-user mode

I installed CodeWeavers Office Professional and BibleWorks 6.0 this week. The CodeWeavers install seemed to complete successfully. The BibleWorks install aborted at the HTML Help section the rlh had mentioned above. I do not have MS Internet Explorer installed, so I will try to pick that up. Although I have only tried a few simple things, BibleWorks seems to run OK (except there is no response to "Help : Getting Started" and "Help : Online Help Topics"). I installed Codeweavers in the Managed Multi-User mode. My problem is that when I run BibleWorks as a regular user, all my preference settings (ex. choosing Display Versions, etc) are lost when I exit BibleWorks. The are saved when I run BibleWorks as root. The BibleWorks User Manual has a section on configuring BibleWorks for a network, but I am not quite sure how to translate that to a Linux system. In particular it discribes how to set up a short cut on the "users computer" to the executable on the network. Is this something that would go in a BibleWorks file, and if so, which one? I am running a single PC, but have set up multilple users and would like each to have their own data files, but preferably only have one set of program files. Also, should the individual data files be in the /opt/cxoffice directory or in their /home directories. I am a newbie for both Linux and BibleWorks. Thanks in advance for any help.

David C.

Default Further Help...

The HTML help will work perfectly if you install IE (I close my eyes, install IE, erase the icons so I don't know it's there, and then wash my hands). In the cxoffice setup you can set up any default browser you wish, so if you want to search on something in the perseus web-site you can use, say, firefox instead of IE (oh happy day).
    You can get further help for BW in cxoffice at codeweavers web-site. I'm one of two current advocate for getting working in IE. All you need to do is go to the compatibility section, and search for Bibleworks; we'll help you out all you want (of course, you can always post here as well).
    As for each user having separate data files; in cxoffice professional that should have been an option in setup. As an advocate, I have access to cxoffice professional; but my setup is just for a single user, single machine, so I've not done what you want to do. When you install cxoffice, what did you use: rpm? deb? loki-installer?
    Here's to dreaming of a native linux install one day...

Default Dcom98...

DCOM98 isn't on your supported programs list? I usually install IE and it get's it (and then I've got it an HTML help).
    BTW, don't forget to change your default browser in the cxoffice control panel; that way you can use another browser for perseus look-ups and such...

Wes

Default Look in the cxoffice documentation...

Quote Originally Posted by david c
    I installed CodeWeavers Office Professional and BibleWorks 6.0 this week. The CodeWeavers install seemed to complete successfully. The BibleWorks install aborted at the HTML Help section the rlh had mentioned above. I do not have MS Internet Explorer installed, so I will try to pick that up. Although I have only tried a few simple things, BibleWorks seems to run OK (except there is no response to "Help : Getting Started" and "Help : Online Help Topics"). I installed Codeweavers in the Managed Multi-User mode. My problem is that when I run BibleWorks as a regular user, all my preference settings (ex. choosing Display Versions, etc) are lost when I exit BibleWorks. The are saved when I run BibleWorks as root. The BibleWorks User Manual has a section on configuring BibleWorks for a network, but I am not quite sure how to translate that to a Linux system. In particular it discribes how to set up a short cut on the "users computer" to the executable on the network. Is this something that would go in a BibleWorks file, and if so, which one? I am running a single PC, but have set up multilple users and would like each to have their own data files, but preferably only have one set of program files. Also, should the individual data files be in the /opt/cxoffice directory or in their /home directories. I am a newbie for both Linux and BibleWorks. Thanks in advance for any help.

David C.
    David,
    Look in the cxoffice documentation; chances are you've got to set up something cxoffice specific (the network section of BW's docs may not be of much help). Like I said, I'll try to check it out...

Thanks for you reply. I currently do not have IE at all. As I recall that ...98 file did show as a supported application by codeweavers, but the install box was shaded, I assume that was because I do not have it on my computer. I used the auto installer (InstallShield ?) on Codeweavers (I am replying from work). Thanks. david c