Quote Originally Posted by ericding
I'm running Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.4.25, glibc 2.3.3, and have been using Crossover Office 1.3.5 for quite some time with sucess (running Quicken 99). I was even able to get BW4.0 running without a problem, but realized that the hand-me-down copy I got was unlicensed, so I bought BW6. Well, I haven't had as much success with BW6.0 -- whether with Crossover Office 1.3.5 or 3.0.1 (demo), I'm able to install DCOM/IE without a problem, and then install BW6 without a problem.

I'm even able to start up BW6 ok... but at some point during program execution, without any discernible pattern I've yet to discover, BW/wine will crash. Before the crash, I've gotten as far as browsing verses, seeing word tips appear, etc. -- yet at some point, wine crashes, and the limited backtrace offered in the debug log is not terribly illuminating (there's a page fault on read access to 0x0 in 32-bit code). Changing the "Windows" setting for bw600.exe hasn't improved things at all.

I don't suppose anyone here has seen (or resolved) similar symptoms?
In a 5/17/04 post (see above & following posts), Wezlo said he had BW running flawlessly under cxoffice 3.0. I have been fooling around with Linux since about July. I had BW 5 installed once, but I other problems and had to wipe that install. I have recently tried to get BW 5 to install with cxoffice versions 2.1 and 3.0.1. I have not been able to get it to install. I donít know much about Linux and I am getting frustrated. I should mention that I have been installing Mandrake 10.0.

I had really hoped to switch over to Linux, but I must get BW to work well before I can do that. I am beginning to think that is not a possibility. Does anybody have BW or BW5 running well on Linux? If so, what distribution? Interestingly, CodeWeavers implies that Mandrake and Fedora core have problems with cxoffice ( http://www.codeweavers.com/site/support/docs/crossover-standard/troubleshooting#FEDORA-CORE-2 ), but Wezlo was running Mandrake 10.0.

Any help would be appreciated.