Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BW and Linux

Hybrid View

Default BW and Linux

Let's get all BW users who are getting BW to run under Linux to pool our resources! A lot of traffic maybe we can get BW ported (the "Holy Grail" of sorts).

Post Wine + BW6 info online

Hello, everyone.

First: Wonderful forums. I think this is much nicer than the listserv you had. Now I definitely won't be posting duplicate messages :-)

Now for the Linux part...

I've posted a page describing my experience (limited though it might be) with Wine and BW6 at http://www.balinsbooks.com/bw/wine/reports.html

If you have any input, I would be happy to collect input from anyone who would like to contribute and post it on that page. (If you don't want to be identified, please let me know that and I will not include info about you specifically (e.g. email, name, etc).)

I hope this might be of use to people trying to get BibleWorks 6 and Wine working together.

Thanks,
    John

I've played with Linux, and I've even gotten Bibleworks to run under wine using the Knoppix CD. Unfortunately I've got a few other programs that lock me into Micro$oft. HOWEVER, if BW ran natively in Linux ;-) I could be convinced to move permanently.
    Last edited by tcblack; 04-03-2004 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added link

Default cxOffice 3.0

Gang, just to let you know, I have tried out BW on codeweavers.com's cross-over office and it installs flawlessly. In the past cxoffice was hit or miss with BW; but anything above 2.1.1 seems to work fine; and BW with 3.0 is FAST. I'm thinking about getting it for father's day...

I am seriously considering moving my home PC (Win 95) to Linux. If it works, I will consider moving my office PC from Win 98 as a result of the report concerning BW running well with cxoffice. My question is what distribution of Linux to consider-- Susie, Mandrake, Fedora, Xandros, ???? Should I pay the bucks and buy a boxed version? What should I definitely avoid? Any help would be appreciated. Wezlo, what distro of Linux do you use and why? Are you happy with it? Thomas, you said that you got BW to work with Knoppix. Is Knoppix a distribution that can be set up as the operating system on a computer? I got the impression it was really just for demo. What M$ applications keep you from switching? I might have the same problem. What about a dual boot for those progams and just never update Windows?

Default Hmm... Linux Distros...

Quote Originally Posted by united_by_truth
    I am seriously considering moving my home PC (Win 95) to Linux. If it works, I will consider moving my office PC from Win 98 as a result of the report concerning BW running well with cxoffice. My question is what distribution of Linux to consider-- Susie, Mandrake, Fedora, Xandros, ???? Should I pay the bucks and buy a boxed version? What should I definitely avoid? Any help would be appreciated. Wezlo, what distro of Linux do you use and why? Are you happy with it? Thomas, you said that you got BW to work with Knoppix. Is Knoppix a distribution that can be set up as the operating system on a computer? I got the impression it was really just for demo. What M$ applications keep you from switching? I might have the same problem. What about a dual boot for those progams and just never update Windows?
    Well, I've been a Mandrake user since 7.0 and I've had my ups and downs with them. I'm running 10.0 Community right now and I really like it. If I hadn't liked it, I would have switched to Knoppix or Fedora by now. You CAN install Knoppix on to the HD, there is an ever evolving script that helps you through the process. I've got a friend who's been using Knoppix for about 2 years now, he's in love with the thing. Knoppix also has a lot of community surrounding it (www.knoppix.new) which is a real plus. It's also "free as in speach and free as in beer" which is also good (but there are places to donate money to continue development, which is a good thing to do).

I wouldn't use knoppix right off the bat though. You're better off with Xandros or Mandrake. You can still download Mandrake for free, and their package manager (urpmi) is right up there with "apt" (which is a thing of beauty). If you want to get a boxed set, I'd purchase Xandros though; it's utilities are highly rated AND last time I checked their boxed set comes with crossOver Office, which can run BW! (at least 3.0 can, which is what I'm going to purchase this week).

On the other hand, Mandrake is pretty dang good, has a better community then Xandros, and mandrakeclub is actually a pretty valuable thing (I pay $120 a year for a silver membership, I've been happy). Mandrake also runs cxoffice 3.0 just fine, which is how I'm currently running BW (flawlessly, I might add; EVERYTHING works).

I am seriously considering moving my home PC (Win 95) to Linux.
    ... Thomas, you said that you got BW to work with Knoppix. Is Knoppix a distribution that can be set up as the operating system on a computer? I got the impression it was really just for demo. What M$ applications keep you from switching? I might have the same problem. What about a dual boot for those progams and just never update Windows?
    First, I am sorry for the long delay, I've been in Haiti for almost a month.
    It looks like your Knoppix question has been answered already so I won't touch it again.
    Currently their are three reasons I'm not switching to Linux completely for now, and they are in no particular order.
    1. Bibleworks. It can run on Linux, but it runs stable on XP.
    2. Libronix. It's so heavily dependant on IE that Linux would IMHO make it wasted money.
    3. Drivers for my Laptop. Yes I know that such can be hacked away at. But I've come to value my time far to much to spend much time hacking away.
    I'm in the process of de-geeking myself so to speak. I just haven't got the time or urgency to keep wasting the time I've been given on what other people can do for me, and do better than I can. So my next computer which is 3-4 years away might be a Linux box, and my son's computer is already Linux-From-Scratch (LFS) linux box; but for right now I have a machine with XP that runs great for now.

Default best give the boot to "dual boot"

I am seriously considering moving my home PC (Win 95) to Linux. If it works, I will consider moving my office PC from Win 98 as a result of the report concerning BW running well with cxoffice.
    What about a dual boot for those progams and just never update Windows?
    Dual-boot is fine, unless the system is used to access the Internet. The trouble with a dual-boot system is that, when Window$ is running, all partitions of all drives are susceptible to attack. I now am reinstalling Linux on a former dual-boot system of a friend (a school teacher), who appears to have been attacked through the browser while filling in an employment application on the web site of a local school district, the application having been written so as to be accessible only with Internet Explorer. The attack corrupted the Linux system, which resides on a separate drive. Needless to say, my friend no longer shall be running a dual-boot system; rather, he shall be using an old spare machine for those increasingly-rare instances in which a regression to Window$ is mandatory.

Over the past decade, the Internet has been transformed from a tranquil, benign academic campus to a turbulent, dangerous ghetto. The Internet Explorer exploits of the past two weeks appear to be the beginning of the end for Internet Explorer; hopefully, also for Window$. Window$ is a monolithic system which cannot be made secure, apart from a total redesign.

Default cx office pro + debian

Quote Originally Posted by wezlo
    Gang, just to let you know, I have tried out BW on codeweavers.com's cross-over office and it installs flawlessly. In the past cxoffice was hit or miss with BW; but anything above 2.1.1 seems to work fine; and BW with 3.0 is FAST. I'm thinking about getting it for father's day...
    For about a year now, I've been running BW5 under VMware Workstation 4.0 on a Pentium system with Debian (2.4 kernel). The arrangement has been serviceable, though leaving something to be desired. Before settling on VMware, I also tried Win4Lin (it did not work), TightVNC (it worked, but the response was maddeningly sluggish), and CodeWeavers CrossOver Office Pro 2.0 (it did not work).

I recently reinstalled Debian (using the new "Sarge" installer), and subsequently upgraded to "unstable" and the 2.6 kernel, whereupon I discovered that VMware would not install; kernel 2.6 is not yet supported by VMware. So I tried a demonstration download of CrossOver Office Pro 3.0, and was able to get BW5 working, without difficulty; this was about two weeks ago. For various reasons, I decided to begin the Debian installation afresh, and now I am unable even to install BW5 under CrossOver Office Pro 3.0 -- "Install Shield" appears, and then I see a window which is solid black, labeled "C:\PROG~FBU\COMM-GP\INST~JM1\Engine\6\intel 32\Kernel.exe"; and in the process, the desktop (Gnome) may lock up. If anyone has a solution or recommendation, kindly email me at rlharris@hal-pc.org.

While a BW port to Linux would be ideal, a good immediate solution would be for BW simply to conform to the WINE guidelines for Windows applications.

UPDATE (three LONG hours later) --- SUCCESS!

The problem turned out to be that DCOM98 (and perhaps also DCOM95) had not been installed. The installation menu of CodeWeavers CrossOver Office Pro 3.0 lists DCOM95 as a supported application, so I asked CX to install DCOM95, which it did. A subsequent attempt to install BW5.0 then appeared to progress normally until a dialogue box appeared:

<BibleWorks will now run a Microsoft program to see if your system has the files necessary to run HTML Help. You should answer YES if asked whether or not you want to install HTML Help.>

However, upon clicking OK to proceed, the installation appeared to hang. I utilized the FORCE QUIT applet of Gnome to regain control of the desktop, and then, on a hunch, I downloaded DCOM98.exe directly from the Micro$oft web site, and then I instructed CX to install DCOM98.exe as an unsupported application, which it did. Finally, I instructed CX to install BW5.0. This time, the installation progressed to completion. After the test regarding HTML Help, a dialogue box appeared. At the end of the installation, a dialogue box informed me that installation was complete, and requested permission to restart the (virtual) computer. BibleWorks 5.0 appears to be functioning normally, and I am elated at last to be free of the VMware environment.

I may uninstall CX and repeat the entire installation, to see whether it is necessary to install DCOM95; perhaps DCOM98 is all that is required.

RLH
    Last edited by rlh; 07-10-2004 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh
    For about a year now, I've been running BW5 under VMware Workstation 4.0 on a Pentium system with Debian (2.4 kernel). The arrangement has been serviceable, though leaving something to be desired. Before settling on VMware, I also tried Win4Lin (it did not work), TightVNC (it worked, but the response was maddeningly sluggish)
    RLH
    Thanks for the input. I am slowly working toward my goal of running Linux. I don't even have a running system yet, but I am playing with Mandrake and Knoppix trying to learn enough to start.

What is your system? I was told that VMware wouldn't run on anything less than a screamer of a processor with a minimum of 1 GB RAM. Also, I noticed on a Knoppix site that they are working on a situation(?) that will run multiple operating systems simultaneously. I don't remember much about it. Have you heard of it? I think they said it was running in the Japaneese version.

Also, do you have any comments about T. C Black's remarks about Libronix? I use them to access Galaxie's Theological Journal Library. I can't afford to lose that.

What resources would you suggest for a newbie who is learning from scratch and has no one to ask questions to. I have found several Linux sites. Any you have found particularly helpful or any books?

Thanks for everyones time.