Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for future development

Default Vocab by cognates

While the new vocab tool is quite handy, the one thing that could make it cooler is if it were possible to compile a list of vocab so that they weren't necessarily ordered by how many times they were used or within a given book, but if they were sorted by cognate or root. I know there are a number of books out there for both Hebrew and Greek that do just this, but if there were a way to compile that list to be able to get that into the vocab program that would make the vocabulary tool even more valuable in my opinion.

michael hanel
    student in
    Concordia Seminary, MDiv
    Washington University, MA Classics

Default We are doing an LXX Grammar

Currently we are doing Coneybeare's LXX GRAMMAR

Dan

www.dabar.org
    Last edited by ddyke; 04-06-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Default Hyperlinked VDC texts? Vocab by root/cognate!

Is there a way to create a hyperlink within the notes of a text compiled with the Version Database Compiler?

If there isn't, this would be a nice addition!

If there is...how?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    ...vocab tool...sorted by cognate or root...
    I think Michael's idea is great. Perhaps a vocab list arranged by semantic field would be helpful as well (or would one just need to cover up half the screen when browsing Louw-Nida?)
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

[QUOTE=jdarlack]Is there a way to create a hyperlink within the notes of a text compiled with the Version Database Compiler?

If there isn't, this would be a nice addition!

If there is...how?

This is what I meant above. I really second this. "Once the links get activated in all the lexicons, notes, etc. I'd like to know how to add links to Biblical texts, user-texts (like Apostolic Fathers, etc), and lexicons in the notes of our own compiled versions."
    Ben

Thumbs up Old Testament Pseudepigrapha in BW

Of course, we have already (almost) all the O.T. Apocrypha in
    LXX and in some Bible translations, but it would be useful
    to have also at least some Pseudepigrapha.

A partial list is available at the URL:
    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Reso...s/otPseud.html

And you can find the "classic" Charles texts at the URL:
    http://wesley.nnu.edu/noncanon/pseude.htm
    http://www.ccel.org/c/charles/otpseudepig/index.html

The problem is still to find all greek (or latin, etc.) originals...

A big THANK YOU to James Darlack for posting the greek text of 1 Enoch
    and for providing so many resources!

Ivo

Default Swanson's Dictionary Of Semantic Domains: Hebrew

I think a semantic domain dictionary for the Hebrew to complement Louw-Nida would be a critical addition to BW. It is keyed to the Louw-Nida semantic domain scheme.

Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament)

Blessings,

Al Cantley

Two suggestions:
    Id like to have a toggle that will switch between the verse by verse view and a poetry/paragraph view (Id especially like to see this in WTT and ESV).

Id also like to have a way to add verses to the verse list in the command center from the command line. Perhaps a command like <c Rom 8:28; Eph 1:9; 3:15; John 6:18> could result in having those verses added to the command center. Perhaps a command like <c c> could clear the command center verse list.

When a commentary gives a long list of references supporting a point, I currently open up the verse list manager, enter the verses one verse at a time, export the list to the command center. Id love to be able to do this from the command line.

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Bookmarks?

This would be fairly easy, I think. I'm trying to spend 15 minutes a day reading through Greek and Hebrew before I get on to my other studies. Problem is, I can never remember where I left off, since I finish my reading and then jump to whatever else I'm studying in BW. Would it be possible to make a "bookmark" function, where you can save your current chapter and verse in a nameable list?

I'm reading through exodus right now. Say I finish Exodus 10:15. I click something like "Add Bookmark" and it remembers Exodus 10:15, and I could rename it to "Reading Hebrew".

Open BW, load bookmark, and it takes you back to Exo. 10:15.
    Ben

Default Bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman
    ...I'm reading through exodus right now. Say I finish Exodus 10:15. I click something like "Add Bookmark" and it remembers Exodus 10:15, and I could rename it to "Reading Hebrew".

Open BW, load bookmark, and it takes you back to Exo. 10:15.
    You can use the "Configuration Manager" to do this same thing.
    1. First enable the CM by clicking Tools>Options and go to the "Option Flags" tab. Under "Startup Options" check off "Enable CM".
    2. Restart BibleWorks and the first thing you'll see is the CM. Click "New" and name the new configuration something like "Hebrew Reading".
    3. Only use this configuration for your Hebrew reading and you'll always open up right where you left off. When you want to do some study (not your reading) then restart BibleWorks and choose a different configuration.

Charlie

Default La Bible du Semeur, Version 2000

I would like to suggest that BibleWorks add another French version if possible. It is La Bible du Semeur. The version I am familiar with is La Bible d'tude: Version Semeur 2000, Editions Excelsis 2001. This particular version is a study bible with generous notes, introductory essays, etc. I imagine the format would be similar to the NET Bible in that the notes would go into the auto-info window. There may be other BW users familiar with this version that have a different opinion, but my opinion is that it is a good translation and that the notes are quite helpful.

This Bible was produced under the auspices of the International Bible Society. The copyright page of my text indicates that the Colorado Springs office would handle any permissions requests.

Michael Burer
    Dallas Theological Seminary