Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Ideas for future development

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    Agreed. I have said this for quite some time now. For teaching purposes things should be made much easier. There is a "zoom" feature in the "notes" tab and an "increase text size" feature in the map module that functions like I wish the other windows would function in this regard. I wish not only the browse window fonts could be adjusted without restarting the program, but also all of the other windows as well (analysis, parallel, search, lexicon, etc.).
    I know BW says you have to restart, but if you just advance to the next verse, the font adjustments take place in the browse window already, no need to restart.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I know BW says you have to restart, but if you just advance to the next verse, the font adjustments take place in the browse window already, no need to restart.
    That's helpful to know. It could still be a little easier though. I would just like to see an "increase font" or "zoom" feature on the menu bar of every feature. What about for increasing the text size of lexicons and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    That's helpful to know. It could still be a little easier though. I would just like to see an "increase font" or "zoom" feature on the menu bar of every feature. What about for increasing the text size of lexicons and such?
    I believe it all changes on the fly. I can't remember off the top of my head, you'd have to experiment to learn. Usually you have to do something that forces it to refresh, like w the browse window example.

True a zoom feature might be nice, my only point was that it's not completely necessary to restart each time.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Red face FlashCard Module

I would like to see foreign language modules (English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Etc) with standard pronunciation available. This would allow missionaries and TESOL language trainers to develop tools for teaching English using BW and could open up a whole new market for BW). It would also allow missionaries and short term mission teams to train themselves on targeted sections of the Bible that they may intend to use in a missions trip or for a ministry class.

Since I'm a new missionary in Taiwan, I see the first hand need for Mandarin Chinese and English flashcard modules. (My wife is an English teacher and I will be teaching Bible in bi-lingual contexts--English/Mandarin and in some selected classes I plan to add Hebrew/Greek into the mix. The parallel version function is a real exciting tool from my perspective).

An ability to review some of the terminology for a specific chapter, paragraph or book of the Bible in a written or combination of a written/audio format would also enable a translator who is not really sharp on the vocabulary a preacher may be using to get up to speed quickly.

Since BW is my primary tool, this change, allowing any language in the database to be added as a flashcard module, would be a GREAT improvement from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by dbielby View Post
    I would like to see foreign language modules (English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Etc) with standard pronunciation available. This would allow missionaries and TESOL language trainers to develop tools for teaching English using BW and could open up a whole new market for BW). It would also allow missionaries and short term mission teams to train themselves on targeted sections of the Bible that they may intend to use in a missions trip or for a ministry class.

Since I'm a new missionary in Taiwan, I see the first hand need for Mandarin Chinese and English flashcard modules. (My wife is an English teacher and I will be teaching Bible in bi-lingual contexts--English/Mandarin and in some selected classes I plan to add Hebrew/Greek into the mix. The parallel version function is a real exciting tool from my perspective).

An ability to review some of the terminology for a specific chapter, paragraph or book of the Bible in a written or combination of a written/audio format would also enable a translator who is not really sharp on the vocabulary a preacher may be using to get up to speed quickly.

Since BW is my primary tool, this change, allowing any language in the database to be added as a flashcard module, would be a GREAT improvement from my perspective.
    Although, I don't know how to do this with Chinese Characters, it is actually quite easy to create your own flashcard database with the Bibleworks set up. You can do this with Microsoft Excel. However, you would need the time, which is something by he sounds of it, you don't have, so perhaps there is someone else who knows Chinese that would be able to do this.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Default Chinese

The problem I see with Mandarin is that Characters are not exactly like letters. So for the name Jesus in English we have five letters that BW automatically clumps as a group we call a word. But in Chinese, each character seems to be treated individually in BW, and for Jesus we have two characters. But the name Jesus in Mandarin cannot be searched on as a word, it can only be searched on as a phrase. Unless there's a trick to it that I don't know yet (there probably is).

Ok, so with your suggestion, then could we develop a flashcard module for English words in say the book of Jude and create a training card deck for people who are going to enroll in a book study of Jude in English? If so, how would you do that?

I know that you know where the Chinese discussion group is, since you just posted something there about the Word List Manager. I suggest you ask there if anyone who actually knows Mandarin would have the time to make up some flash cards for you. I have been in China only twice, for less than 2 weeks each time. I have made a couple presentations in parallel Chinese and English, going verse by verse, not word by word. I had someone who actally speaks Chinese read the Chinese parts. Since then I have started making up a .bww file for the BW editor which functions as a vocabulary list. But I am doing it the way the Rosetta stone was used to decifer demotic. I search for a word in English or Greek, see which Chinese characters are about the right place in those verses to be the Chinese word for the word I am searching, then I copy it into my vocabulary file in the editor. Every once in a while I have asked a relative in China if I have found the correct word. It's a really slow process, and I don't plan to use it very often, so other projects are way ahead of this one for me. A native speaker could do this so much faster.
    God bless your attempts to proclaim Jesus to that part of His creation.
    Mark Eddy

Default Thanks

I appreciate it Mark!

Default Browse tab context

I would love to see the browse tab automatically display the verse that's active in the analysis window with a verse or two of context before the active verse instead of the active verse at the very top. I very commonly have to scroll up a verse or two. The blue highlighting will still draw the eye to the active verse(s) immediately.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default GSE Horizon or mine?

Greetings,

a few minutes ago I wanted to search for the particle μεν and trying to figure out which bible translations have which words chosen for their translation. For that I would offer the program in another word box a selection of translation possibilities and different bible-versions, but it seems so that the GSE is not yet capable to search in different versions for different words at the same time, containing all in one word box. Is that true? If yes, I guess it would be an valuable extension of GSEs search capabilities. You know, I mean a word box where you can also choose whether you wanted to search in one version or in many.
    To realize the search anyway I guess I have to add another merge-box and set it as a sub-query and a whole bunch of word boxes with different versions each and many words in it.

PS. I hope Im not talking old because Im using BW 8 and the 9-users can already realize that kind of searches.

Blessings,
    Steffen