Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for future development

Default Own lexicons?

Hi,

I don't know how difficult this feature would be to implement, but I would like to be able to write my own lexical notes etc., much the same I guess in how you can write your own Bible version - a lexicon compiler. To be able to build your own lexicon would be fantastic.

Thanks,

David.
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 06-26-2004 at 07:10 AM.

Default Searches switching back to first verse

Good morning Philip!

The problem still exists. In version 10p, which is what I now have, if one enters a passage and then removes a version from the window, the remaining versions revert to verse one. No big deal to me...but there are no options to have it remember the verse range that I can find.

Take care.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Brown
    Hi Dave,

From what I can see, this problem has been fixed. I typed in Exo 9 1-6, added and removed versions from the RW, highlighted text and removed the highlighting, changed from multi-version mode to browse mode, and back again -- all without losing the verse range I had set.

Make sure you have the following option checked, and it should work for you:
    Tools | options | option flags | ... hmmm, there use to be an option about retaining verse ranges. Apparently they have incorporated it into the default behavior of the program (?).

So make sure you have the latest update (10e) and you should be fine.

Default bitmap copy in ASE

I would like to be able to highlight an entire ASE construction and copy it as a bitmap for an external application.

This is already possible for diagrams, which is great, but when placing an example ASE query in a document it would look cleaner like this than the current option of a screen print.

Thanks,
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default Remembering verse ranges - on hold

Yep. There was a fix for a blessed time. But as is often the case in software development, the fix had unintended side effects so they backed it out for the time being until there's time to perfect it.

I hope it bubbles up to the top of the list. when I was a software developer, it was always more fun to work on new features (like the verse extractor), but customer satisfaction seemed to depend more on fixing bugs. The ket is finding a balance.

It sounded like there was still a commitment to fix the bug, which is good enough for me.

--Steve

P.S. I'm still running 6.0.010e, which has the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by dbielby
    Good morning Philip!

The problem still exists. In version 10p, which is what I now have, if one enters a passage and then removes a version from the window, the remaining versions revert to verse one. No big deal to me...but there are no options to have it remember the verse range that I can find.

Take care.

David
    Steve Whitney, pastor
    Trinity Presbyterian Church

1500 Park Blvd.
    West Sacramento, CA 95691

church: www.TrinityWestSac.org
    blog: www.UndercoverPastor.com

Default Personal tagging

Hi,

I have another idea for BW. I would like to be add my own grammatical, syntactical and perhaps even semantic and pragmatic tags for the analysis of Hebrew and Greek. Tags like Subject and Object (or if you're into Role and Reference Grammar, Actor and Undergoer) for example. I guess much of the analysis that can be done in the diagrammer I would like to be able to personally tag in the morphological version so as to be able to conduct searches etc on that data. Or if this can't be done for copyright reasons, the constrction of your own taggable database.

David.
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 07-01-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Default Report Generator and Verse List

The Report Generator has a box where you enter the chapter and verse range for the report you would like to generate. That is great for a single verse or consecutive verses or chapters, but what about an easy way to generate a report for topical studies?

Having the option to set the Report Generator range according to a verse list would be a great feature. With this feature it would be easy to create a verse list for a word or topical study using the VLM, create notes on each verse in the verse list, and then generate the report.

I know that it is possible to put each verse from the verse list in the passage box, but having the option to use a VLS file would be simpler, faster, and less prone to data entry error.

Default Linux Port

Quote Originally Posted by wezlo
    OK, so you've got a thread that will allow me to continually ask for a linux port..... cool!
    Here's another voice for you. Later in this thread Charlie noted that this poll isn't very representative on the Windows side of things, as not everyone who uses bibleworks will have voted.

I'd note that the same is true of Linux. I hadn't even bothered to check out the forums before, cause I just assumed for a long time now that there wouldn't be a linux port. However, of late through various discussion forums I've discovered there are more linux-using theologians than I would've expected. ;-)

I'm probably not the only one who has never bothered even looking because of this. So I'm sure there are people who would buy it. However, I can understand them being reticent to port it. Commercial linux software isn't an easy sell on linux, even when there aren't good alternatives (like in this case). It's a fairly small market (relatively speaking, once you narrow it down to linux users who would actually want software like this). I'm not sure how quickly they would recoup their development costs.

This is unfortunate, as I am almost exclusively a linux user. I use a windows laptop from work for accessing exchange and that's about it. And I only use that for calendar management, preferring mutt+imap for email. (which, of course, means little to most of you. ;-) I'm thrilled to see that it runs well under cxoffice. I generally don't like to bother with emulators but I might be willing to install one for this.

Anyway, I would add my voice to those who would love to see a linux port of Bibleworks (and to see libronix work under linux too for that matter) but I do so knowing that it might not be feasible, at least in the near future.

However, I would also note the new macintosh line is also unix based. While the graphical portion would be different, the rest of the backend should run fine on both platforms if you plan it well, or at least be largely reusable. The combined market there might make such a venture more reasonable from a return on investment perspective.

So...here's hoping we'll see it someday, and another vote in favor.

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar
    However, I would also note the new macintosh line is also unix based. While the graphical portion would be different, the rest of the backend should run fine on both platforms if you plan it well, or at least be largely reusable. The combined market there might make such a venture more reasonable from a return on investment perspective.

So...here's hoping we'll see it someday, and another vote in favor.
    Yah, I actually suggested to Bibleworks that they port it to QT, that way they could release for Win/Lin/Mac all at once, with the same base code. Accordance would freak out at BW being so cheap for the comparative bang for the buck...

I'd like to see linked lexicons to the Syriac New Testament and the Latin Vulgate.

The text of the Syriac Old Testament and Apocrphya and possibly a linked lexicon.
    Possibly the Coptic text and lexicons.

And i'd also love to see the Hebrew and Greek, and even these languages mentioned above as interlinear translations, and being linked to lexicons.

In God's love.
    Paul.

Talking Please!!!

Since we are making a wishlist in May, could I suggest two tools that will help in researching backgrounds for the New Testament.
    1. New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity
    2. Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum

Is there a way in incorporated these in BW 7 or Possibly in BW 8. I know that these are considerably large but the nuggets of gold found here are priceless.
    IN CHRIST
    GCALTON