Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for future development

Hybrid View

Default Ideas for future development

This thread is dedicated to discussing various ideas people have for the future development of BibleWorks. BibleWorks staff do occasionally read this thread but the purpose of the thread is discussion among users. If you want to formally submit a suggestion, click here.
    Last edited by Charlie; 07-06-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Default Mmm..

OK, so you've got a thread that will allow me to continually ask for a linux port..... cool!

Default Linux Port

Quote Originally Posted by wezlo
    OK, so you've got a thread that will allow me to continually ask for a linux port..... cool!
    Here's another voice for you. Later in this thread Charlie noted that this poll isn't very representative on the Windows side of things, as not everyone who uses bibleworks will have voted.

I'd note that the same is true of Linux. I hadn't even bothered to check out the forums before, cause I just assumed for a long time now that there wouldn't be a linux port. However, of late through various discussion forums I've discovered there are more linux-using theologians than I would've expected. ;-)

I'm probably not the only one who has never bothered even looking because of this. So I'm sure there are people who would buy it. However, I can understand them being reticent to port it. Commercial linux software isn't an easy sell on linux, even when there aren't good alternatives (like in this case). It's a fairly small market (relatively speaking, once you narrow it down to linux users who would actually want software like this). I'm not sure how quickly they would recoup their development costs.

This is unfortunate, as I am almost exclusively a linux user. I use a windows laptop from work for accessing exchange and that's about it. And I only use that for calendar management, preferring mutt+imap for email. (which, of course, means little to most of you. ;-) I'm thrilled to see that it runs well under cxoffice. I generally don't like to bother with emulators but I might be willing to install one for this.

Anyway, I would add my voice to those who would love to see a linux port of Bibleworks (and to see libronix work under linux too for that matter) but I do so knowing that it might not be feasible, at least in the near future.

However, I would also note the new macintosh line is also unix based. While the graphical portion would be different, the rest of the backend should run fine on both platforms if you plan it well, or at least be largely reusable. The combined market there might make such a venture more reasonable from a return on investment perspective.

So...here's hoping we'll see it someday, and another vote in favor.

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar
    However, I would also note the new macintosh line is also unix based. While the graphical portion would be different, the rest of the backend should run fine on both platforms if you plan it well, or at least be largely reusable. The combined market there might make such a venture more reasonable from a return on investment perspective.

So...here's hoping we'll see it someday, and another vote in favor.
    Yah, I actually suggested to Bibleworks that they port it to QT, that way they could release for Win/Lin/Mac all at once, with the same base code. Accordance would freak out at BW being so cheap for the comparative bang for the buck...

I'd like to see linked lexicons to the Syriac New Testament and the Latin Vulgate.

The text of the Syriac Old Testament and Apocrphya and possibly a linked lexicon.
    Possibly the Coptic text and lexicons.

And i'd also love to see the Hebrew and Greek, and even these languages mentioned above as interlinear translations, and being linked to lexicons.

In God's love.
    Paul.

Talking Please!!!

Since we are making a wishlist in May, could I suggest two tools that will help in researching backgrounds for the New Testament.
    1. New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity
    2. Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum

Is there a way in incorporated these in BW 7 or Possibly in BW 8. I know that these are considerably large but the nuggets of gold found here are priceless.
    IN CHRIST
    GCALTON

Default File Format...

OK gang, I've suggested this in the past; but I really think it would be a benefit to BW. Drop the rtf-based file format for the editor and adopt OpenOffice.org's zipped XML-based format. The files are smaller and more robust, and you'd not have to worry about M$ breaking the format.
    Here's the link of the site: http://xml.openoffice.org/

Talking Three versions

If I get to make a wish list for additional versions, it would include:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    Modern Language Bible
    Rotherham Emphasized Bible
    And now... you know that!

Dan

Arrow New databases for BibleWorks

I would love to have electronic copies [in BW] of
    The Good News Bible
    J B Phillips
    The Revised English Bible
    TNIV [coming out in print in February 05?]

David McKay

Default Tniv

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo
    I would love to have electronic copies [in BW] of
    The Good News Bible
    J B Phillips
    The Revised English Bible
    TNIV [coming out in print in February 05?]

I've read almost all the TNIV NT, it's actually pretty nice. Last I heard BW was not pursuing having it because Zondervan is a bear to work with license-wise.

I'd like to see the God's Word Translation included, it's pretty nice and the publishers are REALLY open to allowing electronic publishers to include the translation free of charge.

www.godsword.org