Thread: Logos vs BibleWorks

Arrow Logos vs BibleWorks

I can purchase Logos-X Scholars (as a student) for about the same price as BibleWorks.

In what ways is BibleWorks better than Logos?

In what ways is Logos better?

Thanks.

You need to understand that, of course, they each have strengths and weaknesses but are not designed to fill the same niche.

BW is unmatched for its speed and simple (but really powerful) interface when dealing with the original language texts in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. However if you're looking for commentaries, etc., this isn't right for you.

Libronix is meant to be a library. Plenty of good scholarly resources (Anchor Bible Dictionary, Context of Scripture, Biblical Archaeology Review, etc.) all nicely linked to each other. However, the program is fairly slow ( I'm on a P4 2.4c, 512 Mb RAM), ESPECIALLY when running textual searches. It's also powerful, in it's own way- mainly in the linking and the customization (ie. you can write your own toolbars, etc.)

I run both progams simultaneously, for the best of both worlds. If you can, get both (though I don't like the packages LIBRONIX offers. Too much denominational stuff that I don't want to pay for...)
    Ben

Wink try 'em out

Not sure what Logos' policy is, but BW allows a trial period for 30 days. If Logos allows the same, you test them out and you be the judge. No one else will know what your specific needs are except you

but then after you do, i'm sure you'll find that BW is the better choice

Mike
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hey Schvan,

The question you are asking was asked repeatedly by yours truly in December of 2004. I asked that here and on the Logos newsgroups and got different answers. I have the Silver Scholars for Logos and have used that for about a year and LOVE IT, with all the resources they offer its great. Then I decided to splurge and buy Bibleworks, well lets say for what I DO at this time, bibleworks has become my predominent bible software that I use. Logos is the best out there for commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, etc... but bibleworks is just a pure BIBLE software meaning it is built solely to learn the BIBLE. Logos is built to perform as both a software program for the bible and a biblical library. Bibleworks is the fastest program I have seen where as Logos can get very slow if you don't have a super powerful computer. I am running a P4 512ram 7200rpm machine and Logos isn't the most fast running program. Bibleworks is great because not only is the price great for what you get, but to upgrade is very decent. Bibleworks To use both is great, but it all comes down to what you will use the software for. If you want to build a library, hands down Logos which also has some of the same capabilities that bibleworks can do such as the sentence diagramming, and advanced search engines. Both are great, but it all comes down to what you are going to use it for. Hope it helps.

alan

[QUOTE=schvan] In what ways is BibleWorks better than Logos?

On Windows (nothing matches AcCordance in this regard, but it's only on the Mac), BibleWorks is unequalled for work with the original biblical texts (Hebrew OT, LXX, and Greek NT) and the supplementary tools for that: e.g., the lexicons, theological dictionaries. That gives you morphological anallysis of Greek and/or Hebrew, definitions as you hover over a word in the Hebrew or Greek, and the full dictionary articles if you choose to look it up by a right-click on the word.

It's also much faster than Logos.

Also, if perchance you work across languages, BibleWorks includes a plethora of modern language Bibles, from Albanian to Zalbanian ;-)-- and they're all linked to the other biblical texts just as any of the Englilsh texts are.

In what ways is Logos better?

If what you really need is a library program with nearly endless possibilities of paying to unlock various commentaries, lexical tools, encyclopediae, etc. then Logos is your answer. It still has the biblical texts (Hebrew, LXX, Greek NT) and the same lexical and morphological tools, but not as usefully implemented--and slow.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)