Thread: Searching for repeated lexemes in WTM

Default Searching for repeated lexemes in WTM

Is there a way to search for repeated lexemes in WTM but excluding certain words from the search - e.g. 'we'
    I see in chapter 19 (BW7) lots of powerful searches in BNM but far fewer in WTM. Is that because the search engine is less powerful in WTM?

THanks,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bjpthompson View Post
    Is there a way to search for repeated lexemes in WTM but excluding certain words from the search - e.g. 'we'
    I see in chapter 19 (BW7) lots of powerful searches in BNM but far fewer in WTM. Is that because the search engine is less powerful in WTM?

THanks,
    Ben
    Hello Ben,

I for one am not sure I understand what exactly you are trying to do. Would you mind giving an example?

Regards,

Donald COBB
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Different text books and different schools (and different software) teach different vocabulary for describing languages. BibleWorks talks about "lemma" searches, not "lexeme" searches. If by "lexeme" you mean roughly "words taken from an identically-spelled root" (=lemma), a search to get these in WTM is simply: .#1 #1
    This finds all instances in which the same lemma follows itself. (I expected that '#1 #1 would produce this result.)
    This search also displays all kethib/qere pairs in addition to what you want. So you may wish to remove either the kethib or the qere from your search (you can do this under the "General Hebrew" Options).
    This search will also find verses in which there are homonyms (e.g. el = "God" and el = "to' or al = "not"). I am not sure how to avoid that.
    In order to find two words from the same lemma which are not right next to each other you can search for '#1 *20 #1
    This finds all instances of the same lemma within 20 words of it other. This search yields results with lots of definite articles, waws, and prepositions.
    The problem with excluding a lemma (such as w = "and") is that if a verse has two waws it might also contain another lemma which is duplicated, and you would be excluding that verse from your search. I did the first (simpler) search, and found no duplicated waws in Genesis, but did find duplicated prepositions, such as L = to/for.
    Perhaps it would be best to search for all duplicated lemmas, then use the verse list manager to remove those verses which duplicated waw, heh, L, min, B, etc. which you might not want.
    Or you could write up a complicated search in the GSE in which you search for '#1 *20 #1 and add some "not" searches for 'W *20 W and 'L *20 L etc.
    In General WTM Hebrew searches can search for anything which is tagged in the WTM database, just as BNM searches for anything tagged in it. The examples in "Help" are only examples, not exhaustive. If you want to do one of the types of searches you see in BNM, try it in WTM. Just remember the differences between the languages, so that you don't search for things like an "aorist" verb or a "neuter" noun in Hebrew.
    I hope this guides you in a positive direction.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 01-14-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: alternate searches