Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)

Question Compiling old NLT

I had the same problem David is having at first, until I realized that I could tell BW what format to save the NLT into...

Now I have a nice nlt.txt file.

Here's my problem. After I compile the old NLT version as NLO, I end up with these note markers in the text:

Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning God created<N1> the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was empty, a formless mass cloaked in darkness. And the Spirit of God was hovering over its surface.

And what should be small caps for YHWH look like this:

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD] God formed a man's body from the dust of the ground and breathed into it the breath of life. And the man became a living person.

(bold and red added)

I doesn't seem to matter what setting I choose for "notes" or "has small caps." Maybe it's too late to fix it after I've compiled it once?

Anyway, I'm new to version compiling. Can anyone tell me what settings to use (or better yet, provide a DDF file for the NLT)?

Thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by pastor-steve; 01-31-2005 at 03:25 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
    Steve Whitney, pastor
    Trinity Presbyterian Church

1500 Park Blvd.
    West Sacramento, CA 95691

church: www.TrinityWestSac.org
    blog: www.UndercoverPastor.com

Default Compiling problems of NLT

I had something similar my first try. I tried again with "Has Small Caps", "Has Italics" and "Has Superscripts" all checked. It was the "Has Superscripts" that threw me off, but it appears to me that it changes the <N1> entry to a proper superscript.

When you looked at your newly compiled version, did it have the marginal notes when you hovered over the <N1>?

Default That did the trick!

Thanks, Clinton.

The other thing I had to do was remove the version and reinstall it. Recompiling with "install after compiling" isn't sufficient to make the change.

Now I'm in business!

--Steve
    Steve Whitney, pastor
    Trinity Presbyterian Church

1500 Park Blvd.
    West Sacramento, CA 95691

church: www.TrinityWestSac.org
    blog: www.UndercoverPastor.com

Default NLT Compile Attempt

Sorry about the late post, but I have only now had the chance to compile the original NLT to NLO (I had not yet applied the update). Everything went fairly smoothly, but I have two (2) ‘problems':

(1) no TSK cross-references display for the NLO (I did the initial export with the ‘cross-references' box checked).

(2) I received different statistics for each version newly compiled NLO versus original NLT installed by CD. NLO1 = with Apostrophe feature using "Keep Always" option and NLO2 = with Apostrophe feature using "Check for Possessive" feature. The differences are as follows:

Number of Verses: NLT:31103; NLO1:31062; NLO2:31602
    Number of Blank Verses: NLT:0; NLO1:41; NLO2: 41
    Total Number of Words: NLT:740388; NLO1:741635; NLO2:743043
    Number of Unique Words: NLT:14908; NLO1:15190; NLO2:14896

The 41 blank verses listed after compiling the NLO are: Num 1:21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 41, 43; 2:4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15, 19, 21, 23, 26, 28, 30; Mat 17:21; 18:11; 23:14; Mar 7:16; 9:44, 46; 11:26; 15:28; Luk 17:36; 23:17; Joh 5:4; Act 8:37; 15:34; 24:7; 28:29; Rom 16:24; Heb 13:21.

So, my questions:

(1) Has anyone managed to get the TSK cross-references for the recompiled NLT (my NLO) to display? If so, how?

(2) If the verses listed for the NLO are added to the blank verses, the total number of verses in the NLO matches the NLT. When the original NLT is compared with the NLO concerning the blank verses, they both appear to have blanks at the verses listed above, with the exception of Matt 18:11 where the NLT is mapped to 18:10 but the NLO to a blank at 18:11; Mar 11:26 where NLT is mapped to 11:25 but NLO to a blank 11:26; Acts 8:37 where NLT is mapped to 8:36 but NLO to a blank 8:37. This is how they appeared in the Results Window, anyhow. But how do we correct the differences in words in the files? Or is there a way to simply recompile the update?

(3) Steve Whitney mentioned installing the version, but not with the "install after compiling" feature. I first compiled my .txt file and then recompiled used the "install after compiling" feature, but how else do you install the compiled database without using the "install after compiling" feature? Does this make a difference?

BTW–I got rid of the display of "N1" by using the "End Notes" feature for the Notes setting, instead of the "Embedded Notes" option. What other settings did the rest of you use in 3c? I have not found that changing the "Dash Character" setting altered the results.

PS–I still have both the 1996 NLT and my newly compiled NLO as databases. I am hoping to resolve the above questions before updating to the 2004 NLT.

Jim

Default NLO Problem

Hi Jim,

I took a look at the problem and found a number of issues. The stats were wrong for both the old NLT and the recompiled NLT (NLO). The issue was, I think, the way fractions were being dealt with. Also, the original NLT on the CD was compiled before we started tracking blank line info and inclusing it in the compiled version. So that is why the discrepancy in the number of verses.

I made some changes in the compiler and program to handle the fractions better, though I did not change the version number of the program for this. In any case, grabe the exe and recompile the NLO and you should be OK. I don't think there are any other versions that have this problem.

Hopefully this will solve the problem for you.

God bless,

Mike

Unhappy Compilable version of NLT-1

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    This patch updates the NLT to the newly revised (2004) version. Please note that the older version will be overwritten as requested by the publisher. If you want to keep the old one you can export it and recompile it under a new name.
    I failed to do this when BW updated; however, I now am wishing that I still had the NLT-1. I'm writing a commentary on Numbers that's based on NLT-2 and keep wishing I had an easy way to compare. Can someone e-mail the exported NLT-1 to me to I can compile and re-include it in my BW6 database? If so, mail to dale.brueggemann@agmd.org
    Last edited by Dale A. Brueggemann; 05-31-2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: To fix a typo.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

If someone can send me NLT-1 as well I would appreciate it. My email address is scoobiesnackarff@aol.com

On a side note Dale, how does one begin to write a commentary. I know that is a question that would probably take 10 books to answer, but how do you begin? Thanks,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann
    ... I'm writing a commentary on Numbers that's based on NLT-2 and keep wishing I had an easy way to compare. ...
    Dale, I keep forgetting to ask a perhaps obvious (and surely often asked) question -- are you any relation to Walter?

Default Relation?

Quote Originally Posted by vr8ce
    Dale, I keep forgetting to ask a perhaps obvious (and surely often asked) question -- are you any relation to Walter?
    Yes; my father and he are first cousins.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Unhappy Not Updating

For some reason I still have the old NLT on my BW 6. When I check for updates it tells me none are available, but when I look at the version information for NLT it still says 1996.
    Help, please.

JLP