Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)

Default NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)

NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)

BibleWorks Automatic Update Notification
    Date: 01/19/05 at 15:07:18
    Title: NLT Version Update (Rev 1 6.0.011w)
    Description:

This patch updates the NLT to the newly revised (2004) version. Please note that the older version will be overwritten as requested by the publisher. If you want to keep the old one you can export it and recompile it under a new name.

Instructions:
    To access these downloads go to the <Help|BibleWorks on the Web|Check for Web Updates...> option and follow the directions. This is a NOT a trial version. No access code is needed to download this patch.
    If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Official BibleWorks announcements section.

Affected Files:
    nlt.bww | [databases]
    nlt.dbx | [databases]
    nlt.vmc | [databases]
    nlt.vmf | [databases]
    nlt.wdc | [databases]

I have already overwritten the old version of the NLT, is there anyway i can download it again so i can have both the update and the original? Where would I find the original version?

alan

Red face Old NLT

Wouldn't it be on your CD, Alan?
    Not saying I'd know how to find it, though.

I think it is interesting to compare the 2, which I've been doing with my book copy open.

I'm wondering if the new NLTs are available in shops, yet.
    By the way, Tyndale will send you a pamphlet abotu the updating if you request it, but it is not online yet.
    Yo ucan write to chrissmith@tyndale.com
    I'm eagerly awaiting mine.

I reckon they are ensuring they have an up to date version to compete with the TNIV
    David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

Default Old NLT

Hi alan1979,

You could try saving the current files (NLT.*) somewhere, then put in your CD#1 and choose the repair option. This should rstore the old version. Then export it and recompile it giving it a new name, like NLO. This is pretty brief. But hopefully it will help. If this fails I can e-mail it to you but I'd rather not do that for a lot of people.

We would have preferred to keep both, like the NAS and NAU, but the publisher wants the old one to disappear. My first impression is that the new translation is much better than the old, more literal. But it is interesting to use the BW compare utility to check out the differences.

Mike

Default Nlo

If anyone makes a copy of NLT 1 per Mike's instructions, I'd love a copy please! [I think I'd muck it up if I tried!]

I guess anyone who hasn't upgraded their NLT would probably have the old files.

What happens if you get a copy of the old files and simply rename them to NLO.* ? Would they show up in BibleWorks automatically, or is it more complicated?

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

Red face NLT update

Mike,
    I got the message of an update available and when I went to do the update, I find that version update is already in my system, but the news item just came? Am I missing something? Or do I have to do something different to get the new NLT update? I don't really want to save the old one, do I?

Jim T.
    Last edited by James H. Tifft; 01-30-2005 at 03:58 AM.

Question NLT versus NLT 2

I managed to do the first half of Mike's instructions, but can't figure out now I have the old files again how you would recompile them.

How do you create a DDF file, please?
    And the text file?

Thanks!
    David McKay

Question Creating a text file from a bww file

How do you convert a *.bww file into a text file, please?
    Think I've worked out how to create a .ddf, now.

David McKay

Why would you want to convert a .bww file to a .txt file? .bww files display in the auto-info window or in the editor. .txt files can appear in the results window after the database compiler compiles a version from a .txt file. .bww files contain notes on the origin of a version. .txt files contain the actual words of the version itself.

But you can always convert one file into another in "My computer," by using the "rename" command.

Please explain your need, if this wasn't helpful.
    Mark Eddy

Question Recompiling NLT, first edition

G'day Mark. Thanks for your reply.

See this post from Mike Bushell:
    ------------------------------------------------
    You could try saving the current files (NLT.*) somewhere, then put in your CD#1 and choose the repair option. This should rstore the old version. Then export it and recompile it giving it a new name, like NLO. This is pretty brief. But hopefully it will help. If this fails I can e-mail it to you but I'd rather not do that for a lot of people.
    --------------------------------------------------

I have saved the old files, as per Mike's instructions.
    But I don't understand how I can use them, now I have NLT2 loaded.

I exported the old NLT and got a NLT.bww file. I thought tht I then had to convert this to a text file, to use in creating NLT 1 as a user database.

If not, what do I have to do?

You don't seem to be able to simply reload the old nlt.* files, renamed to be able to use the old database.

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info