Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helpful BibleWorks Tips

Default Helpful BibleWorks Tips

This thread will be devoted to posts where we share particularly helpful tips we've learned regarding BibleWorks.

Let's try to keep this thread clean from frivolous posts. (ie. please refrain from posting things like "golly that's great" or "me too") This will help make this area much more useful to people who are here to learn. Thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've all learned.

Charlie

Default Freezing the "Auto-Info Window"

I'll start us off with a simple but important one.

Question:
    BibleWorks has the very nice feature of allowing you to move your mouse over the text of a tagged Bible version and seeing a wealth of information regarding the word under the mouse automatically appear in the "Auto-Info Window" just below the Bible text. Often however, you will need to scroll through the information in the "Auto-Info Window" (AIW) but this requires you to move your mouse off of the word. How do you do this without the AIW jumping to a differnt entry?

Answer:
    You can freeze the "Auto-Info Window" while moving your mouse over Bible text by holding the Shift key down.

Thumbs up All thumbs

I have a mouse with extra buttons, one under the thumb. I've assigned the thumb button to act like a shift-key in BW, which means I can freeze the AI window with my thumb, mousing around, instead of the keyboard.

Thumbs up Another way to "freeze" the AI window

Another way to "freeze" the info in the AI window while using the mouse without having to use the <Shift Key> is to <Right click> on the word in the Result Window, but instead of selecting an option from the popup menu go to the AI window and click there. The popup menu and word selection goes away, but the AI information remains the same.

Default Changing fonts on the fly

Although I already posted this elsewhere, perhaps it is appropriate to post it here as well.

When one changes the Results Window font sizes, a BW dialog says you have to restart BW for font changes to be implemented. That's not actually true.

The truth is if, after resetting the font size, you move the Results Window up or down one verse, you will automatically get the new font size you desire.

I've used this in the classroom and never had the program blink.

Default Move to make Backups Easier.

Go to Tools>Options> Directories and move your BW notes to your "My Documents" folder (Best under a subdirectory i.e. c:\documents and settings\<username>\My documents\BibleWorks\)

It's much easier to back up your "My Documents folder" than it is to backup several different locations. (and it's much easier to recover from a total system crash!)

Best yet when you change the directory, BibleWorks will move your files for you to the new location.

Default Viewing two Bible passages at once

I have a simple tip that I would like to share.

One of the things I like to be able to do when studying the Bible is view two Bible passages at once. For example, I might have a primary passage that I'm looking at, and at some point I might wish to do a search or use the TSK or something, without disturbing the primary passage displayed in the main results window.

I never found a good way to do this in BW until recently. What I discovered is that the parallel window feature can be used for this purpose. From the command line you can say something like "p nau", to bring up the Parallel Bibles window with just the NAU in it.

BW remembers the position of this window from session to session, so you can "train" BW to put the window in the lower left or lower right of the screen, away from the main results window.

This window has the focus, and will be used when stepping through search hits or the TSK. Meanwhile, the primary display window with your Bible passage remains untouched.

Default I forget!

Recently I had to replace my ini files, which meant I had to reconfigure my user settings.

I forget how to set the commandline to do morphological searches without displaying the morphological text in the results window (it takes up a lot of space!)

Help!

~Jim

Default Do not automatically make morphology version display version

In order not to display the morphology version in the results window, when you choose a morphology version as your serach version you need to:

Go to tools - options - option flags (tab)

Expand the + sign for Results Window Configuration Options

Place a check in the box for Do not automatically make morphology version display version

I believe this options is available for 5.0 and 6.0, but not for 4.0
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default Thanks Joe!

Wow, I post a reply late at night and by 7am the next morning I have an answer.

Thanks!