Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homer and Hesiod Greek database done

Cool Homer and Hesiod Greek database done

I've been working on putting together a database of the Greek texts by Homer and Hesiod and now it's done! Granted it still will need some editing and tweaking, but all the right stuff should be in place for editing.

Keep in mind that the database is Greek only and there is no morphology provided. It's not for everybody, but for the Greek nerds, it's kind of nice. It's no replacement for Perseus or the Chicago Homer project, but it's Homer and Hesiod in BibleWorks, at your fingertips.

When you find any major problems with it, let me know, I'll try to keep the text as accurate as possible.

Oh, the database is accessible here.

Mike Hanel
    MA Classics Student Washington University
    MDiv Student Concordia Seminary

Exclamation

Hi Mike!

My BW6 crashes when I attempt to compile the database!!!

Any suggestions???

Gilbert

Talking Crash!!!!

I solved the problem. The file looks for hhg in a sub directory instead of the userdatabase directory!

Sorry!

Gilbert

Default Thanks

I had the same problem, but no more.

Thanks
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Exclamation glad it's figured out

Sorry for the confusion. I know I made it a little more complicated but I swear the readme file should have made my complication clearer
    my userdb folder was getting crowded, i found it helpful to make subdirectories, sorry you're all going to have to deal w my hyper-organization

mike

Exclamation Update to Homer/Hesiod Database

I just posted an update to the Homer and Hesiod Greek database. You might not notice a lot of difference but it sure was time consuming! Basically I converted the raw text into CCAT format so that is what you'll be compiling. There were too many weird errors when the text was done in BWGrkl, so I just decided to forgo that. In CCAT format the elision problem is fixed, but it didn't make accent sensitive searching work. Not sure what will fix that....

Anyway, this is the better version, but the old version still is available here. All the files are updated, so if you are reinstalling to the same place, be sure to overwrite with this version.

This will probably be the last update for a while. With school starting back up, I'll likely have less free time. But if you find any mistakes, want to fix something, etc. let me know!

Mike Hanel

Default Accent Sensitive searching

Hi Michael,
    Unfortunately the VDC does not produce the extra files needed for accent-sensitive searching. The need for it has been sufficiently small that we just haven't gotten around to it. After the shakedown is over for the base files I'd be happy to produce an accent-sensitive version and return it to you.
    Mike

Thumbs up accent searching

Excellent. I'll keep making my way through the text to make sure it's totally clean then. I suppose it makes sense that accent sensitive searching isn't magically done, but the program did everything else so easy, i figured what the heck

Mike

Thumbs up Wonderful

Mike,

Thanks for your work! This is an excellent resource. I've found no problems at all with the text so far. With the new built-in links to Perseus, this for me is much better than working with Perseus' text in a browser. I'd like to see more classics for BW. Aeschylus' Oresteia, for instance. Good work.

Greg

Post what's next?

Thanks for the feedback Greg! I'm glad this is appreciated. My first task was going to be to run through all of this database and compare it with print edition of the critical editions and make sure everything is accurate. After that I can certainly add new additions.

I'm also glad the morph browser linking works for you. Occasionally I've found it won't recognize words, but by and large, the BW addition of this is oh so helpful

If you or anyone else wants to add Greek texts, all you need to do is find a source that is public domain and convert from unicode to CCAT (or BwGrk, but I've found CCAT works much smoother). Actually in my next phase I was going to do the Greek dramatists Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles and Aristophanes. These texts should compile very easily because their standard form is line by line. This makes it much easier than say Plato which is properly divided by Stephanus page number and I haven't figured out a way that would be user-friendly to even consider doing these, so dramatists is def something that is on the horizon, even if it's longterm for myself. If anyone else picks up though, definitely let the forum know so people don't duplicate work

Mike