Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transliterated Greek?

Default Transliterated Greek?

In some of the pieces I write, I need to use transliterated Greek or Hebrew.
    BW has the convenient Transliterated BHS Hebrew OT, but I cannot seem to find a comparable tranliterated text for the Greek NT. The Strong code transliterations do not conform to the SBL Handbook of Style, and one cannot copy/paste more than one word at a time.
    Is there a continuous text, transliterated Greek NT that conforms to the SBL Handbook of Style? (Here is the SBL Handbook)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Lightbulb On the same wavelength...

I was just thinking about this Mark. In fact, last night in the midst of a bit of insomnia I was trying to think through the various transliteration schemes, and it seems to me that it should not be hard to do some sort of force font conversion using a unicode font like Gentium, or to put together a macro that would change all BWGRKL in a document to a unicode transliteration. I'd like to do the same with the transliteration fonts in the dictionaries and in the BHT as well. Perhaps I'll have time to give this some thought during the holidays. Ahhh, it's nice to have some time to "play" again after the semester...

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Transliterated Greek NT

If Jim is unaware of such a text, then it probably is not out there!
    In that case, I would think that someone who knows more than I could probably use the CCAT text and do some sort of conversion to Unicode.
    Maybe it doesn't matter that much which Greek text was used. If I envision it correctly, the idea would be to strip the accents; iota subscripts to regular iota; convert theta, phi, chi, psi; use the appropriate vowel with macron for eta and omega; deal with gammas and upsilons in combination.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default SBL Greek Transliteration Scheme

FYI: This is the SBL section on transliterating Greek:
    5.3 GREEK

Whereas for Hebrew both academic and general-purpose transliteration styles are provided, for Greek only a general-purpose style is provided; for academic readers, Greek should be given in Greek characters. (In books meant for a broad audience, editors may elect to use a Greek font only in notes and parentheses, transliterating Greek words that are necessary in the main text.) Thus no provision is made for transliteration of iota subscript, diaeresis, digamma, accents, etc.: where these matter, use a Greek font. Note however that in transliteration omega and eta should be indicated with a macron. If your font has no macron, see 3.1.1.7.

a = a
    b = b
    g = g
    g = n (before g k x c)
    d
    = d
    e = e
    z = z
    h = ē
    q = th
    i = i
    k = k
    l = l
    m= m
    n = n
    x = x
    o = o
    p = p
    r = r
    ~r = rh
    s j= s
    t = t
    u = y (not in diphthong)
    u
    = u (in diphthongs: au , eu , ēu ,ou, ui)
    f
    = ph
    c = ch
    y = ps
    w= ō

~ = h (with vowel or diphthong)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Hello, if you don't mind the TR Greek text, you can just download the free Berry Interlinear at www.heavenword.com. The base program is also free. Under the options you can check transliterate Greek font. You could also then alter the TR to the UBS. The transliteration conforms to SBL.
    Regards.
    D-man, former Bibleworks owner (had to sell it)

Arrow Greek Bible Transliterated

Hi folks, I began working on a transliterated version of the BGT over the Christmas Holidays in response to the discussions on the forum. I just finished a provisional version of the "GRT" (GReek Bible Transliterated). The file is available at the following URL: http://oldinthenew.org/bibleworks/GRT.1.1.zip.

The transliteration scheme followed here is the one given in the SBL Handbook of Style, with one modification. The macrons used to distinguish eta's from epsilon's and omega's from omicron's have been replaced by circumflexes above the appropriate letters (Perseus & TLG have similar transliteration styles). The copyright file (GRT.bww) in the zipped folder has a complete transliteration table.

Please report any errors to http://www.oldinthenew.org/emailform.html. I am also open to any suggestions for tweaking the transliteration from any Greek grammarians out there!
    Last edited by jdarlack; 01-11-2005 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Changed to v1.1

Default Greek Bible Transliterated (Slightly Revised)

Version 1.1 now transliterates all upsilons with a "u" following the transliteration scheme of TLG and Perseus. The distinction between using a "u" or a "y" to transliterate the upsilon seems to be based upon traditional transliteration into Classical Latin. Replacing all "y's" with "u's" in the transliteration also serves to remove any confusion from those who would need a transliterated text. As the SBL Handbook notes (p. 29), those who would desire a more "technical transliteration" should use the actual Greek alphabet.

One may obtain the original transliteration scheme implemented originally in version 1 by simply deleting the global changes ("y" "u") found in the Database Definition File (GRT.ddf).

Similarly, one may remove "y's" by adding the above global change to their existing GRT.ddf file, rather than downloading the zipped file linked below (although the new zipped folder contains an updated DDF, and a new copyright page, readme file, etc.).

The new version may be accessed at http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/GRT.1.1.zip.

Exclamation Minor revision of GRT.bww

I fixed a few typos in the GRT copyright page (GRT.bww). I have uploaded the revised file for download at http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/GRT.BWW.

Download and copy the file into your C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 6\databases folder.

I have updated the zipped file as well: http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/GRT.1.1.zip.

Future revisions of this file will only be posted to the Master List of BW Add-ons Created by Users.

Default Next steps...

Jim: Many wonderful thanks for your efforts in the Greek Transliteration text. I have downloaded and copied your file into my BW 6 Database file. What's next? I think it involves the Version Database Compiler. Could you briefly step me through this process? Or point me to a previous discussion link? Many thanks. --Joe

Default Re: Next Steps...

Joe,

I am not Jim, but here goes.

From withing BW go to tools - Version Database Compiler

1. Click open and navigate to the location where you saved the GRT.ddf file

2. Ensure the directory path that will be automatically populated in #2 is the correct path to the location where your GRT.txt file is saved.

3. Check 'Install after Compiling" and click the Install button.

4. Copy the GRT.BWW & GRT.vmf files to the BibleWorks 6\databases directory.

You are in business.

Hope that helps.

Joe
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;