Thread: Setting Dictionary

Default Setting Dictionary

I am Australian, and my Microsoft Word dictionary is set to Australian. I do a lot of writing, and to speed it up, I have hundreds and hundreds of auto-correct entries. For example, if I want to write the word "Nebuchadnezzar" I just have to type "nebu" and it auto corrects. Here is my problem. Every time I copy a passage onto the clipboard in BW and then paste it into my Word document, it immediately resets my Word dictionary to American. As a result, my Auto Correct no longer works. I have to constantly reset the dictionary to Australian. It's very annoying. I cannot find anything in BW Help to help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dushka View Post
    I am Australian, and my Microsoft Word dictionary is set to Australian. I do a lot of writing, and to speed it up, I have hundreds and hundreds of auto-correct entries. For example, if I want to write the word "Nebuchadnezzar" I just have to type "nebu" and it auto corrects. Here is my problem. Every time I copy a passage onto the clipboard in BW and then paste it into my Word document, it immediately resets my Word dictionary to American. As a result, my Auto Correct no longer works. I have to constantly reset the dictionary to Australian. It's very annoying. I cannot find anything in BW Help to help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I have encountered the same problem with French quotes. You can look here for the discussion : Settings for local languages

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a function in BW that converts exported text in another language than as "American". It would be an appreciated feature in future versions.

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Thanks, Don. The simplest workaround I have found is to use the Format Painter to immediately zap the new pasted entry with a pre-existing style. But it's one more thing you have to remember to do it.

I don't know if this will work (and I don't want to mess with my languages to find out!), but I recommend PureText.
    It's free. It's a tiny program. It runs in the background.
    Here's its description:
    PureText only removes rich formatting from text. This includes the font face, font style (bold, italics, etc.), font color, paragraph styles (left/right/center aligned), margins, character spacing, bullets, subscript, superscript, tables, charts, pictures, embedded objects, etc. However, it does not modify the actual text. It will not remove or fix new-lines, carriage returns, tabs, or other white-space. It will not fix word-wrap or clean up your paragraphs. If you copy the source code of a web page to the clipboard, it is not going to remove all the HTML tags. If you copy text from an actual web page (not the source of the page), it will remove the formatting.
    I use it many times every day for copy/paste to get rid of the junk associated with stuff, especially to avoid copying in unwanted fonts. I've assigned the hotkey as WindowsKey-V (rather than the usual CTRL-V). Works great.

I'd be interested in hearing if you try it and it does work.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Dushka View Post
    Hi Dushka,

I have the same problem. Especially with the differences in spelling between "American English" and "Australian/England English".
    I have found the easiest solution for me is:

ctrl-A (select all)
    On the bottom pane of Word, select my language.
    And manually change to English (Australia).

It is a nuisance, especially when regularly importing texts for sermons, but I know of no other way around it.

Of course, speaking of things I would like to see in BW, wouldn't it be nice if our Bible versions came with "Australian English" spellings instead of only "American English". I spend far too much time changing "fulfill" to "fulfil"; "favor" to "favour", "center" to "centre", etc. Not a BW problem, of course, as they have no control over this, but wouldn't it be nice.

Not a solution, but perhaps some help: BibleGateway has the NIV UK version, and the Anglicised NRSV (that's right, Anglicised, not Anglicized). Once you've done your research in BibleWorks and know the texts you want to copy, you could go there and copy them with the more familiar spellings. Still an extra step, but in some circumstances it might be convenient.

By the way, I will report only a mild irritation, as someone from the U.S., at finding that a translation made here needs to be "Anglicised," that is, "put into English."
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Not a solution, but perhaps some help: BibleGateway has the NIV UK version, and the Anglicised NRSV (that's right, Anglicised, not Anglicized). Once you've done your research in BibleWorks and know the texts you want to copy, you could go there and copy them with the more familiar spellings. Still an extra step, but in some circumstances it might be convenient.

By the way, I will report only a mild irritation, as someone from the U.S., at finding that a translation made here needs to be "Anglicised," that is, "put into English."

Except, of course, in Australian English where both "Anglicised" and "Anglicized" are acceptable, although the former is preferred.

The Australian Oxford Dictionary also defines to "Anglicise" as to "make English in form or character". That is, to conform with (England) English forms of spelling and grammar.

But what is it that Oscar Wilde said? "We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language".

Or Professor Higgins in My Fair Lady when waxing long about the beauty of the English Language? "In America they haven't spoken it for years".

Or, as Sherlock Holmes said near the end of "His Last Bow," following an extended period of impersonating an American, "I beg your pardon, Watson, my well of English seems to be permanently defiled."
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia