Thread: Searching for numbers

Default Searching for numbers

It seems like this should be so easy. I'm trying to search the Greek text (BGM) for numbers. I have no search limits set, i.e., the whole biblical text is to be searched. I've gone so far as to copy codes from John 21:11 (where I knew there were numbers) and paste them onto the command line, e.g., .@acgmpn for τριῶν and .@ac---n for both ἑκατὸν and πεντήκοντα. I know they're in BGM--I'm looking right at them in the Browse window. But any such search returns a message like "The following word or form cannot be found in the current search version: αΙγ μον@*" for .@acgmpn or "αΙγ---ν@*" for @ac---n. Can anyone enlighten me on the right way to do this?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    It seems like this should be so easy. I'm trying to search the Greek text (BGM) for numbers. I have no search limits set, i.e., the whole biblical text is to be searched. I've gone so far as to copy codes from John 21:11 (where I knew there were numbers) and paste them onto the command line, e.g., .@acgmpn for τριῶν and .@ac---n for both ἑκατὸν and πεντήκοντα. I know they're in BGM--I'm looking right at them in the Browse window. But any such search returns a message like "The following word or form cannot be found in the current search version: αΙγ μον@*" for .@acgmpn or "αΙγ---ν@*" for @ac---n. Can anyone enlighten me on the right way to do this?
    Don't copy and paste the codes. Physically type in the command line what you want.

.*@ac---n

But also, it looks like you forgot the wildcard needed before the @ sign.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Yes, that was it. I left out the *. (And now that you mention it, I do remember having problems with pasting into the command line before too.) Got it now.

The reason I was doing this, BTW, is that I'm preaching on Matt. 14:22-33 Sunday, and I was curious about the boat being σταδίους πολλοὺς ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς. How many, approximately, might Matthew mean by πολλοί? Are there any places where he says πολλοί and also specifies a number? No, it now turns out. Oh well.
    Last edited by DavidR; 08-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia