Thread: Problem with unicode for Targums

Default Problem with unicode for Targums

Hello all,

I'm working on a project that uses texts from the Targums. I'm trying to copy and paste into a Word for Mac document; but I'm running up against a problem: when there are variants signaled by numbers, apparently the insertion of the number interrupts the unicode reversal feature (I hope this is clear!), so the verse doesn't come out as displayed in the browse window. Going from left to right, Word puts the variants first, then the text which isn't tagged with a number, so: 1 (numbered text).... 2 (numbered text)..... 3. (numbered text).... non-numbered text.

I don't know if the problem is with Word for Mac, with the numbers in the BW Targum texts, or somewhere else. Do other users have the same problem? Is there a way of removing the numbers in the display window? At, worst, is there a work-around solution?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default Unicode Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Hello all,

I'm working on a project that uses texts from the Targums. I'm trying to copy and paste into a Word for Mac document; but I'm running up against a problem: when there are variants signaled by numbers, apparently the insertion of the number interrupts the unicode reversal feature (I hope this is clear!), so the verse doesn't come out as displayed in the browse window. Going from left to right, Word puts the variants first, then the text which isn't tagged with a number, so: 1 (numbered text).... 2 (numbered text)..... 3. (numbered text).... non-numbered text.

I don't know if the problem is with Word for Mac, with the numbers in the BW Targum texts, or somewhere else. Do other users have the same problem? Is there a way of removing the numbers in the display window? At, worst, is there a work-around solution?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Don, I tried this using BW9 on Windows 8.1 and Word 2010 and it seems to work fine. What version of Word do you have? What version of BW?
    Try copying the text to the BW editor and see if it displays properly. We have a Mac for testing BW but don't have Word on it so we can't test it. Maybe another Mac user can chime in. I suspect the problem is in Word for Mac.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Don, I tried this using BW9 on Windows 8.1 and Word 2010 and it seems to work fine. What version of Word do you have? What version of BW?
    Try copying the text to the BW editor and see if it displays properly. We have a Mac for testing BW but don't have Word on it so we can't test it. Maybe another Mac user can chime in. I suspect the problem is in Word for Mac.

Mike
    Thank you Mike. I too suspected the problem was with Word for Mac. I'm using Word 2011. I've heard (or read) several times that the Mac version of Word is much less developed and functional than the PC version, and it certainly seems to be the problem in this case. I did try pasting the text into the editor and it copied normally.

I also tried to remove the numbers after copying the text into the editor and then copying that into Word, and it just gives boxes!

I don't suppose there's any way to remove the numbers while in the browse window, is there? Something akin to removing the vowel points ("x" while in the browse window)? Again, any help would be appreciated!

Don