Thread: Search feature

Default Search feature

Hello all,

I think I know the answer to this question (i.e., no), but is there any way of configuring the search function so that, when you conduct a search, the browse window doesn't automatically jump to the first passage in which the word is found, but stays at the passages from which you are conducting the search?

I seem to remember that it should be possible to have the search results open to a floating window, but that's not really what I'm looking for (and actually, I don't even remember how to do that).

Any ideas?

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    I think I know the answer to this question (i.e., no), but is there any way of configuring the search function so that, when you conduct a search, the browse window doesn't automatically jump to the first passage in which the word is found, but stays at the passages from which you are conducting the search?
    My experience, in BW9, using double click or right click in the browse window, is that a FORM search will not change the browse window, but a LEMMA search will. (A command line search seems to always update the browse window)

I seem to remember that it should be possible to have the search results open to a floating window, but that's not really what I'm looking for (and actually, I don't even remember how to do that).
    This is the only way I know of to maintain your browse position when doing a search. There are two ways to get the floating browse window:
    1. View/New Browse Window
      creates a new floating browse window immediately, duplicating what is in you main browse window. Any search you do will put the result in your main browse window, leaving the floating one unchanged.
    2. Tools/Options/Browse Window Configuration Options/Enable automatic secondary Browse Windows.
      The first time you do a search, a new floating search window is created for the search result.
      Subsequent searches put the result in the same floating search window.

I don't ordinarily use floating browse windows, so these comments come from some quick experimentation. These floating browse windows have a lot of features, some of which may be left over from earlier versions of BW, so I don't understand the implications of things like the link and activate buttons, and their relationship to other windows, floating or fixed. (By the way, the Synopsis and Parallel windows share some of the same features/complexities, my guess is that all three windows are based on the same underlying processes as the fixed browse windows).
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 06-13-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Qualify first part of response.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    My experience, in BW9, using double click or right click in the browse window, is that a FORM search will not change the browse window, but a LEMMA search will. (A command line search seems to always update the browse window)

This is the only way I know of to maintain your browse position when doing a search. There are two ways to get the floating browse window:
    1. View/New Browse Window
      creates a new floating browse window immediately, duplicating what is in you main browse window. Any search you do will put the result in your main browse window, leaving the floating one unchanged.
    2. Tools/Options/Browse Window Configuration Options/Enable automatic secondary Browse Windows.
      The first time you do a search, a new floating search window is created for the search result.
      Subsequent searches put the result in the same floating search window.

I don't ordinarily use floating browse windows, so these comments come from some quick experimentation. These floating browse windows have a lot of features, some of which may be left over from earlier versions of BW, so I don't understand the implications of things like the link and activate buttons, and their relationship to other windows, floating or fixed. (By the way, the Synopsis and Parallel windows share some of the same features/complexities, my guess is that all three windows are based on the same underlying processes as the fixed browse windows).

Thank you Jim.

That was pretty much what I thought. I used to use the floating windows pretty systematically for searches, going back--I think--to BW 3.5. But I haven't really used them since. It would be nice at least to have the option of not updating the browse window after a search... and I wonder if, on the older versions, that wasn't standard practice (i.e., the browse window not refreshing after a search). Something else to hope for, for BW10!

Have a good weekend.

Don

I like to click on a new, blank Command Line tab before conducting a search. In this way my original verse is preserved in the first tab, while my searching is conducted in a new tab.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    I like to click on a new, blank Command Line tab before conducting a search. In this way my original verse is preserved in the first tab, while my searching is conducted in a new tab.
    Expanding on this a bit, I keep the first tab dedicated to searching purposes, while I open various passages in other tabs. It means a bit of going back and forth among tabs, but I never lose my place (unless I browse somewhere else on purpose.) In fact, when preparing a sermon I'll have a search tab plus one tab each for the Hebrew Bible, Psalm, Epistle, and Gospel texts. Keeps things neatly organized.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Thank you for your comment, Glen. Unfortunately, this is one of the things that still doesn't work very well on the Mac version. When you search on a word, BW opens a secondary window, but 1) it's behind the main window, so you can't see it until you manually click on "Window", then on the line that says, e.g., <4-0> BGM Gal 1:1. 2) When you do that, the secondary window is blank, i.e., there is nothing in it, except the heading. In order for the verse to show, you have to either reduce it and that bring it up again from the dock, or enlarge it to full size, and then bring it back to normal size. All this makes using the secondary window as much of a frustration as anything else.

This bug was reported, I think close to a year ago, but has never been addressed.

Regards,

Don

Hi Don,

I don't ever use the secondary Browse Windows. I just use the Search Window tabs and the main Browse Window. By switching tabs I can have a different display in the Browse Window and switch back and forth as I need. At times I will also use the Browse Tab in conjunction with the Browse Window in order to compare passages or to view the text in Browse Mode. (I usually keep the Browse Window in Multi-version Mode.)

I do not know the status of the Mac installation and any problems being addressed. (I don't use a Mac.) Sorry. I suggest sending another error report, as perhaps this Mac issue was overlooked.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.