Thread: How to hover (analysis window update) in Windows 8 (Tablet, BW8) ?

Default How to hover (analysis window update) in Windows 8 (Tablet, BW8--EDIT:BW10) ?

Name:  tablet_hover.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  78.3 KB

Is there a work around on Tablets (Windows 8) to update the Analysis window in BW8 by "hovering" over words?

With a mouse & keyboard having the mouse pointer hovering over a word in Hebrew or Greek Bibles results in an auto-update of the Analysis window (in my case I was looking up goyim in WTT and have HALOT as my active Analysis lexicon). Holding shift will lock the Analysis window.

But with a Tablet using a stylus or finger there is no "hover." You tap to select, double tap to double click, or press-and-hold for right click. But I have not found a proper work around for "hover" or "hover & shift."

There is, of course, a workable alternative: Right Click (hold) to bring up a context sensitive menu and then select, "Look Up Lemma in Lexical Browser."

I am finding BW very usable in Win8 on a high DPI tablet (1920x1200 on a 10 inch screen) but I am excited to hear future versions will allow users to customize icons (and hopefully scroll bars!) size.

Ps. Totally off topic, but it hit me today that there are two tweaks (maybe already in 9?) I would like to see with the Browse Window. One would be related to the above--when you hover in the content window it could update in the Browse Window's analysis pane. The other would be for the browse window to put the selected verse in the middle, not the top, of the window.
    Last edited by Joshua Luna; 04-27-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: BW10 is now out so I wanted to hear how this is handled.

what is that about. i don't understand.

My question is exactly the one in the original post: how to get at the instant analysis information (tool-tip or analysis window summary) on a Win 8.1 tablet that you get with hover, when using a mouse?

I thought I could get it by 'selecting' the word, and tapping, but that's very haphazard and unreliable ... and I'm not sure that the result is caused how I think it is!

Any help with this would be appreciated. (It makes me realize again just how powerful some of these features are that I've long since taken for granted!

With BW10 out I am updating this thread.

Any feedback on how hovering worked in BW10 on a Windows 8.1 tablet?

Feedback in BW10 on Win8 tablets also welcomed.
    Last edited by Joshua Luna; 04-27-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Default Pad computer options

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Luna View Post
    Name:  tablet_hover.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  78.3 KB

Is there a work around on Tablets (Windows 8) to update the Analysis window in BW8 by "hovering" over words?

With a mouse & keyboard having the mouse pointer hovering over a word in Hebrew or Greek Bibles results in an auto-update of the Analysis window (in my case I was looking up goyim in WTT and have HALOT as my active Analysis lexicon). Holding shift will lock the Analysis window.

But with a Tablet using a stylus or finger there is no "hover." You tap to select, double tap to double click, or press-and-hold for right click. But I have not found a proper work around for "hover" or "hover & shift."

There is, of course, a workable alternative: Right Click (hold) to bring up a context sensitive menu and then select, "Look Up Lemma in Lexical Browser."

I am finding BW very usable in Win8 on a high DPI tablet (1920x1200 on a 10 inch screen) but I am excited to hear future versions will allow users to customize icons (and hopefully scroll bars!) size.

Ps. Totally off topic, but it hit me today that there are two tweaks (maybe already in 9?) I would like to see with the Browse Window. One would be related to the above--when you hover in the content window it could update in the Browse Window's analysis pane. The other would be for the browse window to put the selected verse in the middle, not the top, of the window.
    Try single clicking on a word instead of hovering over it.

Also in the Analysis Tab in BW10 there is a new right click option "scripture reference popups". It has 3 options. The first (the default) just duplicates the old behavior which is to pop up text boxes when you mouse over a Scripture reference in the Analysis Tab. The two new options allow you to open the ref by clicking on them (since there is no mouseover). You have to close it manually. This was intended mainly for tablets but you can also use it on desktops open one or more hypertext refs and keep them open.

You also have the option of connecting a mouse to the Surface, which I do sometimes. You cab get a tiny USB hub and a small pad mouse. There are a lot of options.

Note also if you haven't already that if you swipe left and right in the Browse window it was advance or decrement the displayed verse.

Over time we will implement more pad-friendly options as we get input from users.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Note also if you haven't already that if you swipe left and right in the Browse window it was advance or decrement the displayed verse.

Over time we will implement more pad-friendly options as we get input from users.

Mike
    Along the same lines, I've had a question for some time, but have never gotten around to asking it. Beginning with one of the BW9 updates, it became possible to change from one browse pane to the other, with a ctl + enter command. This takes you from, say, pane 1 to pane 2.

But I've never figured out how to move backwards, say from pane 2 back to pane 1. Is this possible?

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France