Thread: Can I add a Theology tab to the right hand window? Hoping to integrate Bavinck.

Default Can I add a Theology tab to the right hand window? Hoping to integrate Bavinck.

Hi all,

Brand new to BW, brand new to the forum.
    But not new to forums in general - I *did* do several searches before posting this. Sorry if I missed an obvious answer.

Can I customize the tabs in the right-hand window? That is, can I add a tab?
    I paid extra to get a copy of Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics included in my BW9.
    Found it through the menu bar, but it opens a separate window with no interaction between it and the text I'm working with.

I was under the impression that it would have interactivity with the text, probably as a tab on the right-hand side.

So, can I add tabs? Can I add my new electronic copy of Bavinck? Or did I just basically just pay for an e-book version of Reformed Dogmatics?

Cheers,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    Can I customize the tabs in the right-hand window? That is, can I add a tab?
    No, you cannot "add a tab" on the "right-hand window," but you can "customize" the tabs to the extent that you can change the order of the tabs by dragging them.
    In particular you might be interested in arranging the works listed in the "Resources" tab.
    I paid extra to get a copy of Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics included in my BW9.
    Found it through the menu bar, but it opens a separate window with no interaction between it and the text I'm working with.
    You can also find Bavinck in the "Resources" tab under the "References" sub-tab. You can move it to the top of the list of "References", if you want to check him out when he quotes a Bible verse. If you do that, when you have the "Resources" "Summary" tab open, you can scroll down (below the lexicons and grammars, which always display on top) and see if Bavinck quotes the verse which you have in the Browse window. If he does, you click on the line in Bavinck which you want to view, and BW will open Bavinck to that place, or, if you already opened Bavinck, it will switch to that place in Bavinck.

I was under the impression that it would have interactivity with the text, probably as a tab on the right-hand side.
    I am not sure what gave you this impression. BibleWorks is designed to help study the Bible. Topical works, such as Dogmatics can "interact" with the text only for those verses which they quote.
    So, can I add tabs? Can I add my new electronic copy of Bavinck?
    So, no, you cannot add tabs for Bavinck. It will open as a separate window, the way all the Grammars and References do. The only works which display in their own tab are the Greek lexicons, or for Hebrew your choice of one lexicon. All the other reference works must be opened in a floating window. Even the lexicons can be opened in a floating window. You may find that you like the ability to move the floating window for Bavinck (or any other reference you like to consult often). But the only way to go to the pertinent section of Bavinck is to click on a Bavinck line in the Resources tab, which will open Bavinck to where it cites the biblical reference which is in the Browse (middle) window.
    Or did I just basically just pay for an e-book version of Reformed Dogmatics?
    I'll let you decide. But the one difference between Bavinck in BW and Bavinck in some other e-reader is that when you are reading Bavinck as an e-book in BW, and you come across a biblical reference, you can click on that reference, and the browse window in BW will go to that verse, so that you can study it with all the other tools in BW.
    God bless your use of these tools. And don't be afraid to ask other questions.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 05-22-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I am not sure what gave you this impression. BibleWorks is designed to help study the Bible. Topical works, such as Dogmatics can "interact" with the text only for those verses which they quote.
    Blind hope, idiocy, and a refusal to actually read a product description. Much more satisfying to just fill in the gaps with things I wish were true.

Thanks for the thorough reply, Mark! I appreciate the help.