Thread: Using BW to preach Proverbs

Default Using BW to preach Proverbs

In case you don't all regularly read Pyromaniacs — in which case, what's up with that? — I just started a how-sausage-is-made series on preaching Proverbs.

Here's the first: http://bit.ly/1sIcObN

In the second, I focus on how I use BibleWorks: http://bit.ly/1lZ4vWi

Please feel free to interact there as well as here. Honestly, I can't imagine doing what I'm doing, and not being able to use BibleWorks.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Today's post adds a review of the commentaries I use (and don't).
    Dan Phillips

Thanks for the posts and providing the links. I always appreciating going through others' approaches to exegesis and sermon preparation. I just skimmed through them now, but I'll take a closer look later.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Thanks, Lee. More to come!
    Dan Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    Today's post adds a review of the commentaries I use (and don't).
    Another plus of Steinmann is that he's a BW user. He's posted before on the forums here and has even contributed files to the BibleWorks blog.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I knew there was something I liked about the man!

Actually I knew it right away using Steinmann's material to prepare my book on Proverbs. One of my regrets is that I didn't have (didn't know of!) his commentary as I prepared that book, or it'd be all over my footnotes. That despite the fact that I amassed just about everything I could find.

That's a regrettable result, I think, of him being in the Lutheran ghetto. This is a sheer pity. He holds to the authority and inerrancy of Scripture, is a close and deep and academically up-to-date scholar, and he sees all of Scripture as pointing to Christ. All this should make him a "natural" for folks of my doctrinal persuasion or thereabouts but he just isn't known.

So I'm doing what I can to get his name out. In fact, I just had a comment on the blog from someone encouraged by my art. to get Steinmann, and that's all for the good.

If I ever do a second edition or a commentary, Steinmann will be all over it.
    Dan Phillips