Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Names List

Default Proper Names List

Hi everyone.
    Does anyone knows how to get a list of all proper names in the LXX?

Use BLM or BGM as your search version.
    On the command line type: .*@n???p*
    Hit enter, and voila!
    This gives a list of all proper nouns, including names of people and places.
    Mark Eddy

Hi Mark,
    Thank you so much for your answer.
    I tried to apply your advice but it does not work.
    Do you have any idea what I do wrong?
    I am using BibleWorks9.

What do you mean by "it does not work"?
    What does happen when you type .*@n???p* on the command line with BGM as the search version?
    If you copied it from this thread into BW9, it may have changed formatting or added a space, so you would need to type it onto the command line.
    Mark Eddy

Default same here_ doesn't like me

for the heck of it I tried it too, and it doesn't work for me either.

nothing populates or a little window pops up saying can't be found in current search version.
    Last edited by Michael Tarver; 05-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tarver View Post
    for the heck of it I tried it too, and it doesn't work for me either.

nothing populates or a little window pops up saying can't be found in current search version.
    What is your "current search version"? If your search version in BGT or LXT any text version (as distinguished from a morphology version) the search will not work. But if the morphology version BLM is your search version, it should come up with all the verses which include a proper noun in the LXX. BGM's list will include proper nouns from both the LXX and the Greek New Testament. I have done this numerous times on my computers. In the LXX I get 13626 verses with 7199 different forms for a total of 33,555 proper nouns.
    Mark Eddy

Ok, I will try to explain what I am doing:
    1. I click on 'Search' and scroll to 'Chose search version'
    2. Then I chose BGM or BLM
    3. After that I tape .*@n???p* in command line and hit 'enter'.
    4. When I do that small window pop up 'Could not find the verse reference ".*@n???p*" in the current search version.

Any idea please?

Sorry for late replay.

I will try to explain you step by step what I am doing:
    1. First I click on 'Search' and scrool down to 'Choose search version'
    2. Then I chose BLM or BGM.
    3. Next I type on the command line the sequence Mark wrote and I press Enter.
    4. When I do that the small window pop up: 'Could not find the verse reference in the current search version.'

Any idea?

I just tried it, and it failed if I copied and pasted the search string from Mark's post. But with BGM as search version, if I actually typed in the search string exactly as shown, it found all the proper names. Parsing this string:
    . = "start an 'and' type search"; just needed to create the search
    * = "search string can begin with any character and any number of characters," i.e., it can be any lemma in the database
    @ = "what follow are morphological codes, not part of the lemma"
    n = "search for a noun" [the subsequent codes are then various grammatical characteristics that pertain to nouns]
    ? = "any case"
    ? = "any gender"
    ? = "any number"
    p = "proper noun" [this is where it narrows down to proper names]
    * = "accept all following codes" [in case there are any, which there shouldn't be; but the Help suggests, "In fact it is probably a good practice to terminate all morphological codes with an asterisk * just for good measure unless you are looking for very specific constructions."]

Note that "proper noun" includes places as well as persons, so if you're just looking for persons, you'll need to weed out the places manually. Hope this is some help.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Sielik View Post
    Sorry for late replay.

I will try to explain you step by step what I am doing:
    1. First I click on 'Search' and scrool down to 'Choose search version'
    2. Then I chose BLM or BGM.
    3. Next I type on the command line the sequence Mark wrote and I press Enter.
    4. When I do that the small window pop up: 'Could not find the verse reference in the current search version.'

Any idea?
    You failed to begin the search with a period (.). When I typed in the search without the period, BW displayed the same pop up window as you got. The clue which led me to try this is that BW was looking for "the verse reference". Any time you type out a search without punctuation first (. "and" search, ' search for a "string", / "or" search, ! "not" search), BW searches for a reference in one of the databases (e.g. a Bible verse or a reference in the Fathers, Josephus, or Philo). An asterisk (*) is a wildcard for a letter or a number, not for any of the punctuation marks. So the period is essential to let BW know that you are searching for a word or lemma.
    Mark Eddy