Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English translation of the Vugate ?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Ah yes, the Vetus Latina! My teacher in graduate school, the late Nils Alstrup Dahl, was knowledgeable about that version, and sought to interest his students in it (in the long-ago 1970s!). I did find it somewhat interesting at the time, but haven't thought much about it since then. But it does bring back pleasant memories of trying to understand the issues when I click on the link you provided and see once again the names Bonifatius Fischer, the Erzabtai Beuron, and Hermann Josef Frede!
    Just an aside to this discussion, David, but your mention of Dahl gives me an opportunity to recall one of my mentors, the late Don Juel (another of Dahl's students) whose interest in OT/NT matters was handed on to me and accounts for my paying attention to things like the Vetus Latina and things like Field's Hexapla and the Peshitta ...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

I would only want to add that this is the wonderful thing about being a teacher (and preachers are often teachers too). You do not know how many people you will affect and how broad the influence will be, even if it is seldom traced back to you. If teaching is your gift, use it lovingly and assiduously!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Luther's is different - he translated the Greek TR Text, provided by Erasmus, not a Latin Vorlage. And he tried to find common German Terms for all the words in the text (he created some very new Terms) - all in all was this endeavor ok, but nowerdays some Translations are exacter.
    Sorry, I wrote a bit too hastily. What I meant was that the Douay-Rheims tended to use or invent Latinate terms rather than using ordinary English, in contrast to Tyndale's practice of using more ordinary English words as he translated the NT from the Greek (such as "overseer" instead of "bishop"). From what you say, it sounds as if Luther's practice was similar to Tyndale's; or, more correctly, that Tyndale followed in Luther's footsteps. Some interesting information here: Tyndale even took over a few of Luther's terms, translating them into English.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Sorry, I wrote a bit too hastily. What I meant was that the Douay-Rheims tended to use or invent Latinate terms rather than using ordinary English, in contrast to Tyndale's practice of using more ordinary English words as he translated the NT from the Greek (such as "overseer" instead of "bishop"). From what you say, it sounds as if Luther's practice was similar to Tyndale's; or, more correctly, that Tyndale followed in Luther's footsteps. Some interesting information here: Tyndale even took over a few of Luther's terms, translating them into English.
    Interestingly enough ! I try to find some examples where Tyndale copied Lutheran terms, or do you by chance know any?
    Peter

The section of the Wikipedia page to which I linked has a couple of examples, e.g., "mercy seat" for Hebrew kapporet, based on Luther's Gnadenstuhl.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

The section of the Wikipedia page to which I linked has a couple of examples, e.g., "mercy seat" for Hebrew kapporet, based on Luther's Gnadenstuhl.
    Oh, yes, the famous "Gnadenstuhl" (mercy seat) - a nice try of Luther but not just up to date any more. The Luther Bible made a "mercy throne" afterwords out of it, so the "seat" became a "throne".

Thanks, David !
    Yours
    Peter