Thread: BibleWorks on Android Phone

Default BibleWorks on Android Phone

The point of this post isn't to complain or ask for a BibleWorks app for Android (or iOS), but to let people know about a different means to access BW while you're on the go, if you have an Android device. Google recently released their Chrome Remote Desktop app (see an article on it here), and while there are other remote desktop methods of accessing your home PC, I had never used any of them before. This one was pretty simple to use though. It requires you to download the app to your phone and install an app to your copy of Google Chrome on your home PC. You then have to enable your PC for remote connections and you're good to go. No reboots even!

Granted the actual use of BibleWorks in this scenario is far from ideal, but it does work as it normally does on your PC. It's just much smaller. Although if you have a tablet Android rather than a phone, I suppose it might be more tolerable.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Mike, I also know I have seen Linux apps for rooted devices. Where you can have an install of Linux which you can boot. It is a full desktop and so could possibly be used to have Bibleworks on your phone if need be. I have never used it, but I have read that the apps and the installs of Linux seem to work well. Personally, the only time I ever rooted my phone I messed it up, so I will save that for the recycled phones I have, but still interesting.

Having installed the app on an Android 4.1, I can say it works better than my Teamviewer, which seems to have a problem with displaying the full computer screen, where this one does not.
    Last edited by Sansom48; 04-18-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansom48 View Post
    Mike, I also know I have seen Linux apps for rooted devices. Where you can have an install of Linux which you can boot. It is a full desktop and so could possibly be used to have Bibleworks on your phone if need be. I have never used it, but I have read that the apps and the installs of Linux seem to work well. Personally, the only time I ever rooted my phone I messed it up, so I will save that for the recycled phones I have, but still interesting.

Having installed the app on an Android 4.1, I can say it works better than my Teamviewer, which seems to have a problem with displaying the full computer screen, where this one does not.
    While this is technically true, at present this is not quite practical. Most smartphones/tablets today run an ARM based cpu, as opposed to an Intel (x86, x64) as found in all Macs and PC's today. Linux itself, and more specifically Ubuntu does have an ARM port, but the compatibility layer needed to run Windows applications (WINE) has only limited support for ARM devices. Particularly lacking in the development of gecko/mono which handle the embedded web pages and any .net implementations that may exist, but also the complete lack of support for running x86 applications on an ARM device. For further info on the progress of WINE on an ARM based device, see http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM So unless,

Of course, if your tablet is Intel based, then you can just root, install Linux + WINE, and be done The current list of Intel based devices is quite small at present though. For more see: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...p-tablets.html

Of course, I'm not trying to be rude or arrogant, but just pointing out that at present unless BW port to Windows on ARM (which would be frankly silly with the likely dropping of W8 RT http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/5595...indows-rt.html), the OP's idea is a good one, albeit not the most practical option for those with portable devices on multiple networks, or who wish to use something like BW on an hour-long commute each day such as myself. I have looked at trying to get BW to work on my ARM based Nexus 7, which is how I know most of what I do, but for the moment, it is totally impractical to try to do so unfortunately.

I do hope some of this helps though

I had a question in my mind concerning security with respect to the Remote Desktop app. I found this page which talks about security but is also a good "step-by-step" in setting it up.

I have looked at trying to get BW to work on my ARM based Nexus 7, which is how I know most of what I do, but for the moment, it is totally impractical to try to do so unfortunately.

I do hope some of this helps though

These thoughts are very helpful. I have never even dared to try (as I mentioned above) so I have never thoroughly looked into it, but it was a thought that I was pondering. That being said, I wasn't even going to give it a second thought until I had a recycled phone with at least a dual-core and 1gb of ram. I realize that the screen size would make its use one a phone impractical, but the idea was to figure out how to do it on a phone, and then do it with a tablet. Since I have neither, I will wait, and who knows, maybe by that time it won't be that big of an issue. (especially, as I couldn't afford a decent tablet right now if I wanted to. )
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!