Thread: Exporting SBL Greek

Hybrid View

Default Exporting SBL Greek

I have fonts set up so that when I export Greek, I get SBL Greek. However, I've noticed a problem with this, which I don't get if I, say, copy to the clipboard something from the analysis window. Many letters with accent marks come out as question marks.
    :22 συμβ?βηκεν αὐτο?ς τὸ τ?ς ἀληθο?ς παροιμ?ας κ?ων ἐπιστρ?ψας ἐπὶ τὸ ἴδιον ἐξ?ραμα, κα? ?ς λουσαμ?νη εἰς κυλισμὸν βορβ?ρου.

Hopefully this displays properly. What can I do to get the characters to print properly? Thanks.

Ken

Hello Ken,

What are you trying to copy into? Word? Or the BW notes editor? One other question: What version of Windows are you using?

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

As Don asks, it can depend on what word processor you are using and what version of Windows or Mac.
    The main thing is simply that when you are pasting it in, it's being displayed in a font that doesn't contain those characters.
    So, it will work if you are using a Unicode compliant editor. After you copy in the Greek, and it doesn't look right, highlight it, and then switch the font to SBL Greek.

If you can't switch it to SBL Greek, then the editor is not using Unicode. In that case, you'll have to use the old-fashioned TrueType. Export your Greek using bwgrkl and use that font for Greek in your editor.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks for the responses. Oddly, I determined that the font does look correct in MS Word 2002 but does not look correct in WordPerfect X3, which is always my preference for a word processor if I have a choice. So I will have to do some research to figure out why WordPerfect can't process SBL Greek properly. It does not seem like a Bibleworks problem.

Ken

WordPerfect X3 (and still at least even X5) do not support Unicode. As I noted in the earlier post, you'll have to use bwgrkl TrueType. It is MUCH better to use Unicode, however, especially for future compatibility since Unicode has become the de facto standard.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools