Thread: Q re. Two K K Uncial manuscripts

Default Q re. Two K K Uncial manuscripts

I'm looking at the NA28th ed. textual apparatus. I'm trying to figure out what this "K" uncial manuscript is.

For example, Mat 18:26 lists two seperate K manuscripts (mss) supporting the addition: κυριε

Perhaps the first K manuscript is most likely a.k.a. 017 Cyprius from 9th century. But what is the second K?

Curiously the NA27 ed. has the uncial "L" supporting κυριε, but in the NA28th apparatus at this passage "L" is not listed.

Now in cases where one K supports one reading, while the other K supports a different reading, how do I know which K is which? This happens at the end of v.26.
    Last edited by Michael Tarver; 04-06-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Default Re: Q re Two K K uncial mss

I am not sure I am seeing anything like what you are seeing. I don't have NA 28, but what you describe in 27 does not look like what I have. It would make no sense to have two K manuscript here. Codex Cyprius Ke has the gospels but Kap Mosquensis only has Acts and Paul. But I don't see K referenced here. There is reference to two different hands in Aleph א (The Hebrew character is used as the sigla for Codex Sinaiticus). And if you have the manuscript images installed you will in fact see that Κύριε is abbreviated by kappa epsilon ( Κ̅Ε̅ ) with a line above the two letters. But it is attested in the primary hand and I am assuming that the bar was added by the second hand. But NT criticism is not my specialty. I don't know if this will make sense to you, but I hope it helps.

SkipB
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Default eureka

Thanks SkipB for checking into this. I think one needs to be looking at NA28 to understand what I'm seeing, because now there are two "K" mss with contents "e" = gospels.

Now that I've researched a little more I found that there are actually (3) uncial K mss. While reading Matthew's gospel I often came across two of them. But here are all three of them listed...

Name:  3 K Uncial Mss.PNG
Views: 78
Size:  280.8 KB

*It appears to me that Codex Regius formerly designated by siglum Le or 019 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering) is now the other "K". I'm coming to this conclusion because the last "K" ms (see above) is labeled "Gr. 62" which is what Le was labeled (cf. wiki NT uncials)

**Another explanation is that there is a serious misprint/mistake in the NA28 apparatus and/or OliveTree NA28 and the second "K" (containing the gospels) should actually be labeled ms Le as it was. I need to look deeper into this, but there is no manuscript L in the gospels anymore. After the book of Revelation under Greek codices, NA28 only lists one L ms that being Lap (020). There is No Le (019). hmmm, this is a mystery.

Now to show what I was originally talking about... Mat 1:20 shown below indicates one K manuscript supporting the reading Mary/Maria while the other "K" supports Miriam.
    Name:  Mat 1_20_Mary_Miriam.PNG
Views: 69
Size:  212.6 KB

I wish they would of added a superscript to uncial K in the gospels to indicate whether it is the 8th or 9th century ms. For example, Ke1 & Ke2. Otherwise, how could anyone differentiate which K is which?
    Last edited by Michael Tarver; 04-06-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Default printed editions look correct

Looking at sample pages from the printed NA28 I see they show uncial L in the gospels. They have it right.

(cf. Sample Pages at bottom)

I'm surmising that you are apparently using the Olive Tree edition of NA28. As you now have observed from the Logos page samples, it does look like the problem is with the Olive Tree implementation of NA28. I can't imagine how there would be a font issue which would allow for the confusion of K and L, but there is some kind of font funniness going on since the critical sigla are odd. Instead of an angle bracket right after the verse number 20 in the apparatus, it is has a <. And in v 22, instead of the insertion siglum, it has a T. I'm thinking it simply needs to be reported to Olive Tree.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I'm surmising that you are apparently using the Olive Tree edition of NA28. As you now have observed from the Logos page samples, it does look like the problem is with the Olive Tree implementation of NA28. I can't imagine how there would be a font issue which would allow for the confusion of K and L, but there is some kind of font funniness going on since the critical sigla are odd. Instead of an angle bracket right after the verse number 20 in the apparatus, it is has a <. And in v 22, instead of the insertion siglum, it has a T. I'm thinking it simply needs to be reported to Olive Tree.
    At first I didn't know if there was an issue, and if there was, whose error was it? Olive Tree's or NA28?

yeah your right. I contacted Olive Tree regarding their NA28 apparatus, hopefully they fix it sooner then later.

They have three K uncials, two of them represent the gospels (Ke), so their second Ke should be Le .
    Last edited by Michael Tarver; 04-08-2014 at 07:41 AM.