Thread: Problems with the GSE

Default Problems with the GSE

I submitted the following to support (twice) over the last two weeks, but only have received the automated responses. I thought I would see if I could get support from BW here.

Note: Normally, BW support has been reasonable responsive and I hear back in a day or two, the long silence on this one is unusual.

Here is the issue:
    Bible works version 10.0.3.734
    (Note: the attached .vls files were renamed to .txt because the uploader would not upload a .vls file)

I ran into several problems with GSE while using an imported verse list. I have attached some GSE example files and verse lists.

First Problem: I tried to change the top level “or” box in the “bogus acronym” query to an “and” box with only two matches required. And I got the following error.

Can't use these features together.

In one of your AND Merge boxes, you've allowed the query to require only some of the word boxes. This feature can only be used in simple boolean-only queries. It cannot be used with ordering, agreement crossing verse boundaries, or hit highlighting.

To use these results in another query, save the results in a verse list and import the verse list into a second query.”

The first problem (very minor): I had never tried a query with an imported verse list, and was expecting to find the import under the file menu where the export verse list is. I eventually found that I could import the verse list in a word box (I assume this is how it was supposed to be done). It would have been nice if this dialog box had a little more information about how to import a verse list.

Second problem (wrong results): I deleted the top 4 “and” boxes and their “word” boxes, ran the query and saved the results to “IAM.vls.” I then create a query keeping only the top “and” boxes and their “word boxes” and deleting the 4 on the bottom. I then added an “and” box at the top with a word box that included the previously exported verse list. This is “debug example.qf.” The results I got were not an “and between the tree on the left side of the “and” box and the verse list on the right side. I tried making the top level “or” box on the left side a “sub query” but that also did not change the results.

Third problem (file name in query lost): While trying to debug this problem, I would open the verse list manager to check the results of the saved verse list against the results from the query. After doing this and then returning to the query the query would not run again because the file name of the verse list had been truncated to the just the name of the top level directory. I had to go and reselect the file name before running the query again each time I used the verse list manager.

Temporary Resolution: I deleted the “and” box and the “word” box with the imported verse list from “debug query.qf,” and then ran the query with only the “or” section on the left. I then saved the results to “YHWH.vls.” I then created a new query “debug example 2.qf” with only two “word” boxes (each with a verse list) and an “and” box. This returned the results I was expecting from “debug example.qf”
    Attached Files Attached Files
    HaMilim.netronix.com

Perhaps you received no response because (I think) you are trying to do something impossible. You cannot use the Graphic Search Engine with a verse list. The GSE is to search on words, not verses. Unless you are describing something using non-standard terminology (which is easy to do), I am surprised that BW is doing anything at all with what you are trying to do. But, if I misunderstand you, try to clarify, and somebody may be able to help.
    Mark Eddy

Mark,
    GSE can be used with verse lists - but as you mentioned, not for searching on them. If you add a verse list to one word box, and your search term to another word box, and you connect them both via merge box (as "AND") and run the search, this will turn the verse list into a search range in which your search term will be searched in.

Hi Mike,

We experienced a backlog in customer support, and that led to a delay in getting back to you. They sent your message to me, and I responded on Friday. Since it is possible that your spam filter blocked message, I sent it again to you this morning. Please let me know if you do not receive it. My email address is gweaver followed by at sign and bibleworks.com.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Mike,

We experienced a backlog in customer support, and that led to a delay in getting back to you. They sent your message to me, and I responded on Friday. Since it is possible that your spam filter blocked message, I sent it again to you this morning. Please let me know if you do not receive it. My email address is gweaver followed by at sign and bibleworks.com.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Got your email and replied. Thanks!
    HaMilim.netronix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Perhaps you received no response because (I think) you are trying to do something impossible. You cannot use the Graphic Search Engine with a verse list. The GSE is to search on words, not verses. Unless you are describing something using non-standard terminology (which is easy to do), I am surprised that BW is doing anything at all with what you are trying to do. But, if I misunderstand you, try to clarify, and somebody may be able to help.
    Mark Eddy
    I do understand the limits of a verse list; I was just noting that I used the "word" box, to include a verse list in my search. The "word" box, is the terminology used in Bibleworks for the type of box to include in a search (selected from the tool bar at the top of the GSE.)
    Last edited by benelchi; 08-11-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    HaMilim.netronix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    Mark,
    GSE can be used with verse lists - but as you mentioned, not for searching on them. If you add a verse list to one word box, and your search term to another word box, and you connect them both via merge box (as "AND") and run the search, this will turn the verse list into a search range in which your search term will be searched in.
    The issue with my search (and I documented this wrong in the "Temporary Solution" section of my post) was with an "or" rather than an "and." The "and" at the top of "debug example2.qf" should have been an "or." When both sides of the "or" have a "word" box with a verse list, the or complete with the expected results i.e. all of the verses from both verse lists are included. However, verse list is on one side of the "or" and non-verse list expression is on the other, the results are not an "or" of both sides.

On a side note, I wondered whether an "and" box work as expected, and the answer is that it is also broken. I changed the "or" at the top of "debug example" to an "and" and the query ran for about 10+ minutes without ever finishing. I halted it, changed the 2nd level "and" on the left side to a "sub query" and removed the 2nd level "and" on the right and connected the word box directly to the top level "and and re-ran the query; it ran this time very quickly but without a single verse result. The query with verse lists from both the right side and left side returns 2 verses when and "and" is used.
    HaMilim.netronix.com

Default Useless search

For those wondering why I would even want to do such an apparently useless search:

Someone at my church began circulating the article "The Name of Jehovah in the Book of Esther (http://www.therain.org/appendixes/app60.html)" and I wanted to demonstrate how common this "encoded name" actually is in the text and that the occurrences of the name God that are documented in this article are only aspects of random chance.

The reason that I had mistakenly left "debug example2" set as "and" instead of "or" was because, when I was responding to the article, my last search was intended to show that if one were to follow the "logic" of this article to its conclusion, then it could be suggested that the following two verses were the most sacred verses in the bible because "encoded" alone in these verses are both the acronym "I AM" and "Yahweh."

The sons of Hebron: Jeriah the chief, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth. (1 Chr. 23:19 ESV)
    בני חברון יריהו הראשׁ אמריה השׁני יחזיאל השׁלישׁי ויקמעם הרביעי

Neither hath she left her harlotries brought from Egypt; for in her youth they lay with her, and they bruised her virgin breasts; and they poured out their lust upon her. (Ezek. 23:8 JPS)
    ואת־תזנותיה ממצרים לא עזבה כי אותה שׁכבו בנעוריה והמה עשׂו דדי בתוליה וישׁפכו תזנותם עליה׃

Unfortunately, in the age of the Internet, nonsense ideas like these gain a much wider audience then they ever should have.

HaMilim.netronix.com

Just as a clarification for onlookers to this thread--I have been working with the original poster to resolve the issues that he experienced with his search. We found one bug with the inclusion of verse lists in Word Boxes (after running the search, the path for the verse list is truncated in the Word Box. The result is that it is necessary to open the Word Box and re-link the verse list each time the search is run. Our programmers are aware of the problem, and should fix it in the near future.) Other than this one error, I have not yet identified any other errors in how the GSE functions. I am still working with the original poster on this search, and should any errors be found, they will be corrected.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.