A couple of years ago, I remember someone here expressing idea that the scriptures should always be read in their original languages in church services and then the lector should make his or her own translation (prepared or spontaneously) for the given congregation at the given time in order to allow the word of God to speak to the congregation as directly and as spontaneously as possible. I really like this view! It combines the importance of the literal original text with the high value, however fleeting and transitory, of dynamic equivalence translations.

This would also require, and encourage, our lectors (and other members of the congregation) to be well trained in the original languages and sensitive to the activity of the Spirit in local communities. Most would consider this highly unrealistic, of course, but I really like this idea.

As I understand it, this is presumed to have been the common synagogue practice around the time of Jesus when the scriptures were read initially in Hebrew and then translated spontaneously into Aramaic. Eventually, some of these Aramaic translations were standardized into targumim, ie, textual translations of the Hebrew which were still rather free in character, reflecting an oral, dynamic equivalent practice. I guess if this was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for us as well.

Have others come across this idea or practice? Origin? Thoughts?

Pax et bonum, robrecht