Thread: Deleting log files?

Default Deleting log files?

In my BibleWorks9 /init subdirectory, I have over 200 files taking up 475MB of space that appear to be log files associated with updates. They date back to 2011!
    For each update, it appears that there is an associated exe, ini, log, dat, and swc file. They look like this:

Name:  bwinit.png
Views: 114
Size:  19.4 KB

I'm guessing I'd want to save a couple of the most recent update sets, but is it okay to delete the rest without any problems?
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Wow--I never noticed that before, but it surely adds up to a fair amount of wasted hard drive space. Thanks for the heads up. I assume those are safe to delete, but I'll wait for a more official word.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default Checkpoint files

These are your checkpoint files. You have a set for every time you installed an update of the BW executable, plus a set for every time you asked BW to take a checkpoint for you. You might have noticed that the first part of the file names is the version id from BW9's update.
    So yes, unless you have a desperate desire to restore your BW9 environment, including tabs, to 2011, there is no reason to keep them.
    Certainly, you should keep enough that you are sure you have saved a good environment that you can recover to if your init or tabs settings are corrupted. I have never had to go back further than the next previous version (he says, carefully tapping his skull).

Actually, I have 454 of these files. Looks like you skipped over half of the updates that BW issued, Mark.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 09-26-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Added snarky comment

Thanks, Jim. You confirmed what I suspected.
    I'll be sure to be more attentive to updating!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools